c2 vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default c2 vs C2S

So far very happy with my C2.

Its my first Carrera. My hope is, down the road I get to own a GT3 at some point.

However, and while I understand it the argument, it is always said, if you are to track the car, get an S.

Has anyone here driven an S as well as a non S extensively enough to describe the driving differences. Real world and track differences.

My rationalization at this time will have to be that with my C2 i will be forced to learn to drive faster, by being forced to carry more speed into the corners, to make up for my deficiency in a straight line! Fancy rationalization?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
v21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know as well. Thanks for putting up this thread.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Wait till Ben sees this thread.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

if you're worried that your C2 may be deficient on the track, then how about the 996s, 993s, 964s, boxsters and caymans that are sharing the track with you?

I think you're thinking too much. A C2 is more than capable than most of us here for track driving. The driver is the limiting factor most of the time, not the car.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by points
+ 1
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by afridi
So far very happy with my C2.

Its my first Carrera. My hope is, down the road I get to own a GT3 at some point.

However, and while I understand it the argument, it is always said, if you are to track the car, get an S.

Has anyone here driven an S as well as a non S extensively enough to describe the driving differences. Real world and track differences.

My rationalization at this time will have to be that with my C2 i will be forced to learn to drive faster, by being forced to carry more speed into the corners, to make up for my deficiency in a straight line! Fancy rationalization?
I think your rationalization, if you plan on tracking a car-is correct.

I would say that ANY of these cars are more car then we are drivers. And they make most of us look like hero's.

I'd like to see how most of us do in suped up Go Kart. I'll give you an example:

2007 I went to an AMG driving event. They had a road course, drag, high speed oval and track to do hot laps on. They also had these go Karts. Every single one was exatly the same in HP, weight ect.

We had 4 heats, the last of which who ever wins wins. I won pole position in by the last heat. Right before we started off, one of the professional guest drivers said he'll hop in the back row, and give us a 2 Second lead.

Right out of the gate, I was faster to turn 1, and by turn 2 I was at least 7 paces ahead of No. 2 Postion (keep in mind, I used to race motorcycles, but not much. So I'm not bragging, just have a little edge over some of the guys/girls).

Right before I entered Turn 3, on my way into the Apex, I feel a 'bump'. I turn around and there's the Guess Driver, waving at me- instantly I get frazzled and ...........he passes me and away he goes........

And won the race by at least +3 seconds before the No2 guy- who WASN'T me.

Just goes to show you that drivers ability is, almost everything. The C2 is a remarkable car.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
afridi
Racer

I must be too new, who's Ben? Hope I'm not supposed to go "uh-oh!"

Old 05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that our 09 C2 is as powerful as the old 997.1 S, 345hp vs 355hp. Brakes too are essentially the same except for open top calipers on the S. There will always something better than your car so enjoy what you have!

Last edited by gray911; 06-30-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carrera or S

I have been instructing in P cars for 20 years.
My opinion from years of observation is this
Everyone should learn in the slowest but best handling car they can get. EX. 944.
students that start in High HP cars do not learn how to drive the track and use everything you can to maximize the corner. They do what I call "point and shoot". Turn the wheel wait until the apex and mash the throttle. Slam on the brakes turn and do it all again. There is not much setup to do on the car.
In a lower HP car one can learn to slide the car on all four. One learns how to set the car with shocks, sway bars, rotate the car with throttle and brake.
Do you want the bragging rights to be the fastest or bragging rights that you were able to keep up with a much faster car because your car handled better and you drove it to the limit. I just love to chase down a high HP car.
One of the best experiences I can relate was that I had soloed and spent some weekends running around Roebling Road. I asked our Chief driving Instructor what I needed to do to make my car faster. He asked what my times were. I told him a 1:35 in my SC. He got in my car and in two laps was doing a 1:29.
His recommendation, drive what I have until I get near his time and then do one thing to the car to make it faster.

Mark
Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by gray911
Remember that our 09 C2 is as powerful as the old 997.1 S, 345hp vs 355hp. Brakes too are essentially the same except for open top calipers on the S. There will always something better than your car so enjoy what you have!
Thanks...... actually no regrets with the C2 at all. gut tells me this is a keeper.

With the Cayman, there was always a reservation. Brisk car, great handling, but I never really liked the looks, and was always worried the engine would one day decide to blow up (irrational maybe). I made that car better (Borla exhaust, race plenum, bigger throttle body, engine mapping - the softronics package actually) and it went faster. But in the end left me a little uneasy and cold to it.

The C2 just makes me feel good. Almost to the point I'm tempted to keep it in the garage and not drive it !!!

I doubt I would actually do that - it will get exercised regularly.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by afridi
I must be too new, who's Ben? Hope I'm not supposed to go "uh-oh!"

You'll fit in just fine 'round these parts! Enjoy the new addition to the Fam!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 PM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by nosubt2
I have been instructing in P cars for 20 years.
My opinion from years of observation is this
Everyone should learn in the slowest but best handling car they can get. EX. 944.
students that start in High HP cars do not learn how to drive the track and use everything you can to maximize the corner. They do what I call "point and shoot". Turn the wheel wait until the apex and mash the throttle. Slam on the brakes turn and do it all again. There is not much setup to do on the car.
In a lower HP car one can learn to slide the car on all four. One learns how to set the car with shocks, sway bars, rotate the car with throttle and brake.
Do you want the bragging rights to be the fastest or bragging rights that you were able to keep up with a much faster car because your car handled better and you drove it to the limit. I just love to chase down a high HP car.
One of the best experiences I can relate was that I had soloed and spent some weekends running around Roebling Road. I asked our Chief driving Instructor what I needed to do to make my car faster. He asked what my times were. I told him a 1:35 in my SC. He got in my car and in two laps was doing a 1:29.
His recommendation, drive what I have until I get near his time and then do one thing to the car to make it faster.

Mark
Good advice.

In the Cayman I shaved of 8 seconds of my lap time and was consistently within 1 second of my best.

I need to have one of the senior drivers drive my car and then do my laps (I have a Performancebox, so can compare telemetry)
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a great example of driving ability counting more than the car you drive. My 07 997S Conv. was my regular track car until I went with an 07 997RS.
I thought that after one event I would be much faster on the RS. Guess what, I was slower by about 5 secs. No doubt, the car pulled to no end on the straights; however, I am still learning the dynamics of the RS. As a result, more seat time required for me to be faster than my former car. In my opinion, skill is more important.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw it. So what.