Sponsored by:

Question regarding lights...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Question regarding lights...

couple questions here, thank you for your help.. the first one might seem simple but i really would rather ask then try and have battery die...

in this gentlemans pic i see his lights are left in "home"... if i leave my lights there i can lock the car and they will turn off and not drain anything? can i leave in any other positions without draining the battery?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...Burkett/P2.jpg

also.. in my sports chrono it says "lights" i can choose DRL (i know what this does) but then says a 0-100% question and a time question.. what lights do the %'s refer to? and what lights does the timer affect?

thank you... i left it on home once... and waited and waited and waited and didnt turn off so i was like hmmm.... hell if i just close doors and leave unlocked the interior lights seem to stay on forever too so i always lock just to be sure... been stuck with dead battery toooo many times to chance it.

-riley
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche assumes a reasonable amount of driving on these cars. Thus, the battery will be charged up enough to sustain leaving the home lights on for a few minutes. I routinely leave my light switch in that position.

Some of the lights can be adjusted for brightness, e.g., the console light that comes out of the bottom of the rearview mirror. It's a small directional light that can be adjusted by you for how bright it is. I have mine left at the factory default.

The level of sophistication is quite high in these cars with the way lighting is controlled. For example, if you leave your trunk (hood) up or your decklid (engine) up, the light will stay on for about 2 hours. Eventually it will go out.

If you are running into multiple experiences with a dead battery you are among most of today's Porsche owners,--you don't drive it enough. Put down the mouse and go drive.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche assumes a reasonable amount of driving on these cars. Thus, the battery will be charged up enough to sustain leaving the home lights on for a few minutes. I routinely leave my light switch in that position.

Some of the lights can be adjusted for brightness, e.g., the console light that comes out of the bottom of the rearview mirror. It's a small directional light that can be adjusted by you for how bright it is. I have mine left at the factory default.

The level of sophistication is quite high in these cars with the way lighting is controlled. For example, if you leave your trunk (hood) up or your decklid (engine) up, the light will stay on for about 2 hours. Eventually it will go out.

If you are running into multiple experiences with a dead battery you are among most of today's Porsche owners,--you don't drive it enough. Put down the mouse and go drive.

i drive a lot, put about 1100 miles so far on it since i bought 4/20

im asking if i leave in "home" and lock doors... it stays on a few minutes or till i turn to off?

if i leave on "on"..... it stays on a few minutes or till i turn off?

the % on my sports chrono is for which? and the time on sports chrono is for which?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The car will turn it off within a couple of minutes. There's nothing wrong with leaving it in HOME.

If you go to your owner's manual it will explain which lights are affected by the sports chrono controls.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The car will turn it off within a couple of minutes. There's nothing wrong with leaving it in HOME.

If you go to your owner's manual it will explain which lights are affected by the sports chrono controls.
i did go thru, i looked at like 8 diff lighting sections and then in the PCM book, PCM book was least helpful... just said look at other book regarding the % and time..

ill look again, maybe in a diff section i overlooked...
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i left mine with pretty much all factory settings and did just fine. home does not drain the battery.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The controls on the PCM only control the duration and intensity of the interior lights. If that is what you are asking. The home switch only keeps the fog lights for a few min. To my knowledge it does not affect the interior lights at all.

Quick Reply: Question regarding lights...