Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine break-in fun - maybe a rally?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question engine break-in fun - maybe a rally?

I've primarily autocrossed my 997 C2 for fun. Now that I'm breaking in a new engine again, I thought perhaps a rally would be a good way for me to get in some easy going driving "sport" while breaking in the engine.

Not having driven a rally before, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for good rallies in the greater San Francisco Bay Area - PCA or otherwise - that would be good for a rally newb?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCA Poker Rally

I've been to the PCA Poker Rally last Sunday and just crossed the 2000 mi barrier doing it. So Fun

Last edited by gray911; 06-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
I've primarily autocrossed my 997 C2 for fun. Now that I'm breaking in a new engine again, I thought perhaps a rally would be a good way for me to get in some easy going driving "sport" while breaking in the engine.

Not having driven a rally before, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for good rallies in the greater San Francisco Bay Area - PCA or otherwise - that would be good for a rally newb?
There's a rally this very Saturday - I'm a member of E60.net and we have a drive followed by a BBQ this weekend. The drive is still TBD but will almost certainly take in the backroads in the Santa Cruz mountains (Hwy 9 etc) followed by a BBQ at Vasona Park in Los Gatos. There are a few of us who don't have E60's any more who are still active members and it would be good to not be the only 997 for once! PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the details.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Rally probably ok. I just prefer to drive the car by myself...

Originally Posted by useridchallenged

and give it a mix of city, and highway driving. Lot of accelerations and deaccelerations.

However you do it suggest before you go on rally you have oil/filter changed. As I mentioned in the Cayman section I changed the oil in my new Cayman S at 750 miles and the oil that I poured out of the filter housing was full of metal. Very small pieces, too fine to feel even through rubber glove fingers.

Changed the oil/filter again at 1350 miles and metal debris down to so little did not bother to photograph the stuff.

Then just at 2000 miles (a bit over actually) had dealer change oil/filter day before my planned 4000+ mile road trip in car. 'course, this cut short cause next evening some bozo ran into it and car totaled. Should be getting insurance settlement this week.

I took pics and posted them -- pics of Cayman oil -- on Cayman section. Search for posts by me.

My advice again is no matter how you break in engine -- rally, just driving around -- change oil/filter early at least once and again at end of break in period.

I looked at '08 Cayman S (used) for sale on dealer's lot. Nice car but has been in service since Sept. '07 and has not had one oil change yet. Not even 9000 miles on car but....

And many used Caymans for sale are in same shape. If you have a used '08 Cayman S for sale and wonder why you ain't hearing from me...

People, if you want to preserve your car's resale value get it an early oil/filter change and document it.

Makes a big difference in my book whether a used car even worth considering or not.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Originally Posted by swajames
There are a few of us who don't have E60's any more who are still active members and it would be good to not be the only 997 for once!
Many kind thanks for the invite! I'll have to pass, though... Talking about the 997 with E60 enthusiasts will probably be a really short conversation. At least you're a former E60 owner. Okay, between my 996 and 997 I did have a BMW E38 (740i Sport). Loved the car when it ran, but it was literally in the shop every 6 weeks. That car was a true money pit in every sense - I practically gave it away just to get it out of my life. So I'm probably the wrong guy to have at a Bimmer event.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

I was thinking a rally which required some problem solving skills would be fun, as opposed to just driving around on pretty roads. Is there a name for that kind of event? I apologize for being such a newb when it comes to rally events...

Quick Reply: engine break-in fun - maybe a rally?