Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cannot reprogram my keys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer cannot reprogram my keys?

Just wondering if anyone else have encountered the same problem....

So I've lost one of my keys (yeah, I'm stupid...) and I ordered a remote key fob head from the internet and a new key blade. My dealer cut the key and tried to program all my keys again to my car but they kept on getting an Error showing on the dash.

They said that the remote head I obtained was probably used, so they charged me for a new remote key head (yeah, ouch, especially in Toronto, and especially since I did not want the new black one anyway).

But even then they cannot reprogram the new key -- they'll have to get an answer from PCNA in Atlanta next week for an answer.

My Valet key doesn't start the engine as well and they cannot reprogram it either.

I guess I better not lose my last key until they figure this out....
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
JHoffman
Intermediate

that is very interesting. I have never seen this. Make sure to post what the cure is.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting . . . Keep us informed as to what your local dealer does.

Remote codes have to be down loaded from PCNA based on VIN. I had that done on my old Boxster w/o any problems. I suspect the remote entry head you bought was faulty but then again the dealer tried a new one so there goes that theory.

I also thought the valet key was passive and just needed to be cut to match.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My valet key works on everything,--including the ignition. Sounds like something else going on there.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 AM
rebe1
Racer

Will keep everyone posted... the valet key is supposed to start the car but mine just opens the door and the horn sounds when I try to start the car with it.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 AM
JHoffman
Intermediate

sounds like an immobilizer problem but you said one key does work so that is confusing. Check you any immobilizer faults.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I seem to recall reading (sorry, I can't remember where) that when the cars are built, they are pre-programmed with the ID numbers of 10 keys that can be manufactured to work with the car. Porsche only makes the first two and the valet key (I don't think you even get that anymore, though). When you order a new key, Porsche looks up the next secret code for your VIN # and creates a key to match it. The key you bought off the Internet has someone else's secret code and will never work with your car. This is part of the reason the keys cost so much, each one is built to spec. rather than just pulled from a bin.

I don't know what happens if you ever run through all 10 possible codes, but I guess some expensive module(s) has to be sent over from Germany.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keys should be programable. Its not like a 996 key. The 997 keys are also not locked to a vechile. Sounds to me like you bought a bad key. Maybe locked up the alarm ecu. Maybe waiting longer and trying to program it would work. Only other option is they some how got the wrong program codes via porsche (happens every once in a while.)
Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

The issue is simply this--when you buy a key head, you need the code that goes with that key. Without it, the key is literally junk.

Thus, if the seller was selling you a used key and does not have the code, that key is worthless, which is a bad deal for you.

However, with the code that belongs to the key any dealer or independent that has the Porsche tester (I can never remember what it's called) can program the key to the car.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul S.
The issue is simply this--when you buy a key head, you need the code that goes with that key. Without it, the key is literally junk.

Thus, if the seller was selling you a used key and does not have the code, that key is worthless, which is a bad deal for you.

However, with the code that belongs to the key any dealer or independent that has the Porsche tester (I can never remember what it's called) can program the key to the car.
+1 - The little tag that comes tied to the key head is worth $130, without out the tag, the head makes for a very expensive key fob... I learned that when I accidentally threw away the little tag and had to cough up another $130 to get another tag and key head...

Rudy
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM
rebe1
Racer

I thought that applies to the 996`s, not the 997`s... in any case even the brand new key fob from the dealership here failed to program. We`ll find out what`s happening soon I hope.

Originally Posted by rudy1024
+1 - The little tag that comes tied to the key head is worth $130, without out the tag, the head makes for a very expensive key fob... I learned that when I accidentally threw away the little tag and had to cough up another $130 to get another tag and key head...

Rudy
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Clearly, since the dealer could not program the car to take a brand new from the dealer key, there is more at play here than a possibly broken (may well be working just fine) key head purchased used.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Also...for whatever it's worth.....I do not believe 997.2s have valet keys.......just 2 regular keys.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

997 keys dont have key specific codes. No more little piece of paper. The number is programed in the key. You now need 3 difrent codes from porsche to program. Any which could have had a german enter a wrong letter/number at the factory.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

what dealer are you talking to? downtown of Pfaff?

Quick Reply: Dealer cannot reprogram my keys?