Sponsored by:

USB stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default USB stick

Cant get the car to make a data base and search and play songs. Made a bunch of mp3s.

Is their some special way to put them on the drive.

I have put all the songs in the root directory and have also tried to put albums in their own folders....nothing works.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afridi
Cant get the car to make a data base and search and play songs. Made a bunch of mp3s.

Is their some special way to put them on the drive.

I have put all the songs in the root directory and have also tried to put albums in their own folders....nothing works.
All I did was drag and drop my iTunes library onto the memory stick. When I plugged it into the car, it auto-synched everything.

One interesting thing, however, is that when it copied everything, it did so alphabetically. In other words, when you go to play a particular album, it's rearranged the song order from the way it was originally on the album to an alphabetical listing of the songs. Strange.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe it would work with this usb stick.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by ds2k1
All I did was drag and drop my iTunes library onto the memory stick. When I plugged it into the car, it auto-synched everything.

One interesting thing, however, is that when it copied everything, it did so alphabetically. In other words, when you go to play a particular album, it's rearranged the song order from the way it was originally on the album to an alphabetical listing of the songs. Strange.
Got it to work eventually. Same thing happened to me. Songs were alphabetically arranged. Most irritating!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Maybe it would work with this usb stick.

that's funny. when i bought mine i was looking through the dealer's case for free trinkets. i saw that and laughed out loud. maybe a tattoo also?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you go in and edit the song title to include something like "01" and "02" in front of the titles you can dictate the sequence.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you go in and edit the song title to include something like "01" and "02" in front of the titles you can dictate the sequence.
For approx. 4000 songs???!!! You gotta be kidding me. With a 16GB hard drive, I've got waaaay too many songs to do anything that manual. Think I just have to live with it, unless anyone knows a way to accomplish this with one fell stroke?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:11 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a straight copy from my i-tunes library and everything worked first time.

I'm not happy with how the system is working though. Some songs skip, can't get playback to "stop" no matter what. All I can do is pause it. For example, I want to use the Nav and not have song playback from any source. All you can do is turn the system on and the music automatically comes on. Then you have to pause it. But then if you stop the car, say to fill up, then start again and expect the Nav to pick up where you left off, the music comes on again. Where the heck is the "stop" button for playback?!?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by RonCT
I did a straight copy from my i-tunes library and everything worked first time.

I'm not happy with how the system is working though. Some songs skip, can't get playback to "stop" no matter what. All I can do is pause it. For example, I want to use the Nav and not have song playback from any source. All you can do is turn the system on and the music automatically comes on. Then you have to pause it. But then if you stop the car, say to fill up, then start again and expect the Nav to pick up where you left off, the music comes on again. Where the heck is the "stop" button for playback?!?
Good points. I get the skipping, too. Also, if you're listening to playback, and hit the "Map" button, how do you get back to the USB screen? I can't seem to figure out how to do this without actually pressing Tuner, then pressing Source and going back to USB that way. Definitely a few bugs to work out...
Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Good points. I get the skipping, too. Also, if you're listening to playback, and hit the "Map" button, how do you get back to the USB screen? I can't seem to figure out how to do this without actually pressing Tuner, then pressing Source and going back to USB that way. Definitely a few bugs to work out...
Someone pointed this out to me for getting back to the iPod menu:

Use the DISC button.

The tuner button goes between AM/FM/SAT
The disc button goes between DISC/USB/IPOD/AUX

At least thats what I think it does (at the moment).

With playback from a USB stick, you need to ensure the titles are encoded in a format the car supports. Audio encoding has a slew of options, only some of which are supported by the PCM. It could be an odd bitrate in the MP3 or some specific codec type thats not going to work well.

However, I've only tested my stick interface once - I'm listening to ipod, xm and occasionally fm... so I'm sorta talking 'theoretical' here, without having done the background reading (manual) and testing.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I discovered that perhaps the only way to "turn off" the audio is to use the disc button to page over to Aux input (and have nothing plugged in there). Then it sits there with no input, so it can't play anything back. Then you can use the Nav / Map / Info, or whatever you want without having music randomly come on. Should just be a "stop" button as the Mute doesn't work well and leaves a message of what you have muted.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 PM
afridi
Racer

It certainly is an idiosyncratic piece of electronic kit.

Almost as if the germans don't really know what an mp3 is.

OTOH, the car is so awesome, who cares!

If this was a Toyota I would be screaming bloody murder!

Quick Reply: USB stick