Sponsored by:

tire mounting & wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 AM
madporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire mounting & wheel alignment

Where do you for tire mounting and wheel alignment? Porsche dealer?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Go where-ever you trust.
On mount & spin....if your wheels are expensive, trust & care is important, since the handling, mounting process always has some risk.
A good dealership is usually a safe bet....or a trusted speed shop. I specify flat-Porsche-type weights.....and if they spin up way off to please move the tire on the rim, reinflate, re-spin.
Always request in advance align spec sheet as part of the deal....review it, file it for the next time you have align as point of ref.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Always a trusted Porsche race shop. Here in CT we have many to pick from - they all have the right equipment and are used to dealing with high-end wheels, tires, customers, etc. Besides, the rates are much less...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Lucky for us more and more people are buying cars with fancy wheels. As a result, many shops you wouldn't have considered 10 years ago do a very good job mounting low profile tires without trashing the rims. I use a local shop for their convenience, and they use the Hunter Douglas dynamic spin balancer to set the weights. For wheel alignment I use my brother in law! I recommend a good alignment just after (or before) a 4-tire replacement,--as a minimum. Try to find a shop that can easily get such a low car onto the alignment rack, and ask them to take care of the rims. They can put a piece of silver duct tape on the rim to protect them from scratches when you mount the thingys they use when doing the alignments.

When I am just getting new tires I often opt for just taking the rims in,--having an extra set of wheels or jack stands comes in handy then, I just don't take chances with the PCCBs with people who won't understand them and avoid the problem in the first place.

Quick Reply: tire mounting & wheel alignment