Sponsored by:

XM Radio for the 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Radio for the 997.2

I noticed the per XM's website that my radio is capable of XMWeather. This seems to be a new feature that provides real time weather maps. I called XM and they could not confirm that the radio is capable of this feature.

Anyone have any info on this?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

XMWeather is not available in the 2009 997.2, but XMTraffic is available. XMWeather is supposed to be one of the features available for the Panamera. Mayby 2010 for 997.2?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
XMWeather is not available in the 2009 997.2, but XMTraffic is available. XMWeather is supposed to be one of the features available for the Panamera. Mayby 2010 for 997.2?
Do you have to do anything special to get the XM Traffic function to work? Seems that whenever I press the "Map" button, it shows the route I'm on in red, meaning bad traffic. It does this no matter what the actual traffic conditions are, which makes me think it's not working properly...
Old 05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The XM Traffic service (navtraffic) is a separate subscription.

There is a separate setting that tells the mapping software to overlay traffic data onto the maps - you also need to enable that (probably in the map-settings section).

AND you need to be in an area supported by navtraffic.

Also, the info button produces a list of traffic incidents around your current location.

At least here in Seattle.

Of course, the data is only as reliable as the source. Just like Tivo's guides are crappy because they buy the guide data from sources that rely on networks to publish timely and accurate data (which frequently isn't)... navtraffic relies on the local data providers, frequently the state departments of transportation, for accident and congestion data.

I'm getting colored lines and accident reports superimposed on my maps both in map and navigation mode.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

This should be addressable by a software update to the PCM, as its purely a new screen.. maybe something that is overlayed on the map. Whether we will see it on the 997.2 is another question.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok
The XM Traffic service (navtraffic) is a separate subscription.

There is a separate setting that tells the mapping software to overlay traffic data onto the maps - you also need to enable that (probably in the map-settings section).

AND you need to be in an area supported by navtraffic.

Also, the info button produces a list of traffic incidents around your current location.

At least here in Seattle.

Of course, the data is only as reliable as the source. Just like Tivo's guides are crappy because they buy the guide data from sources that rely on networks to publish timely and accurate data (which frequently isn't)... navtraffic relies on the local data providers, frequently the state departments of transportation, for accident and congestion data.

I'm getting colored lines and accident reports superimposed on my maps both in map and navigation mode.
Interesting. Well, I have a free 3-month trial to all the XM services that came with the new car. So I would assume I at least HAVE the functionality. And I am in a location that supports it - SF Bay Area. I'll go take another look at the settings and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Thanks. From what I read on the site, it should be very handy for those that live in severe weather prone areas.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Just checked the Porsche Panamera Build Configurator and here it is.

Offering a wide variety of entertainment with music, sports, talk, comedy, and news, XM Satellite Radio® is available as an option on all models. Also available is XM NavTraffic®, a satellite delivered traffic information service that allows users to easily access critical information such as traffic congestion, accidents, and average speed of traffic. New and available for the first time on a Porsche is XM NavWeather®, which displays graphical weather forecasts and current conditions, and informs the user of any impending weather threats. Also includes XM Stocks and XM Sports. Complimentary 3-month service included - after 3 months, subscription is required. Note: XM service is not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Interesting. Well, I have a free 3-month trial to all the XM services that came with the new car. So I would assume I at least HAVE the functionality. And I am in a location that supports it - SF Bay Area. I'll go take another look at the settings and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the info.
It may be memorable, but that avatar of yours is one of the worst I've seen.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Default What it looks like....

This is what it looks like when it works.

The MAP display has colors around the respective highways that are supported by flow/speed data, and incidents are indicated by graphics on the roadways.

The INFO displays a list of issues relative to one's current location. (those that are close to you)

Both are fed by local data sources, so if you are in SF, whoever provides the data, be it cal-dot, or some county provider.. they have to be giving the data to navteq in order for navteq to feed it to XM to downlink to your system via the navtraffic service.
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok
This is what it looks like when it works.

The MAP display has colors around the respective highways that are supported by flow/speed data, and incidents are indicated by graphics on the roadways.

The INFO displays a list of issues relative to one's current location. (those that are close to you)

Both are fed by local data sources, so if you are in SF, whoever provides the data, be it cal-dot, or some county provider.. they have to be giving the data to navteq in order for navteq to feed it to XM to downlink to your system via the navtraffic service.
Wow, that's definitely NOT what I'm seeing. I need to check my settings or call XM back and ensure that Traffic is part of the free 3-month trial I get. Does anyone know the answer to that question? That is, is Traffic part of the free 3-month trial that comes with the purchase of an '09 Carrera?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Wow, that's definitely NOT what I'm seeing. I need to check my settings or call XM back and ensure that Traffic is part of the free 3-month trial I get. Does anyone know the answer to that question? That is, is Traffic part of the free 3-month trial that comes with the purchase of an '09 Carrera?
Yes, it came with mine. You may have to get XM to send another activation signal in order to enable it. This link has more info. It's a bit of a pain.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...=xm+activation

When I signed up for XM, they dropped NAVtraffic and substituted NAVWeather, which doesn't work yet on the 997.2. After I discovered the issue and got them to straighten out the subscription, I had to go back through the activation process again.

Last edited by wwilliams88; 05-14-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

One other thing I found out was the 3-month trial does not include XM Everything Plus the Best of Sirius package. Just XM Everything. I didn't care but if you were interested in the Sirius stations then you have to purchase it.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
One other thing I found out was the 3-month trial does not include XM Everything Plus the Best of Sirius package. Just XM Everything. I didn't care but if you were interested in the Sirius stations then you have to purchase it.
True. And they don't let you purchase Best of Sirius during the free 3-month trial. No wonder their stock's in the crapper.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Any news on the cost of XM Navigation when your 3 month trialis up?

Quick Reply: XM Radio for the 997.2