Sponsored by:

2009 Ipod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
jster
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think that is the iPod normal behavior. If you do not use it for a couple of days it just shuts off. I do not know if it can be controlled in a different mode via its external interface.
Yes, the normal behavior of an ipod is to sleep after a period of time. Depending on the ipod there are different sleep modes. Unfortunately P's inplementation is not allowing the ipod to sleep. Having come from the BMW world, I know that one should be able to work sequentially through a multi-hundred playlist without being kicked out and back to the first song, first album (alphabetically) with a dead ipod battery.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jster
Yes, the normal behavior of an ipod is to sleep after a period of time. Depending on the ipod there are different sleep modes. Unfortunately P's inplementation is not allowing the ipod to sleep. Having come from the BMW world, I know that one should be able to work sequentially through a multi-hundred playlist without being kicked out and back to the first song, first album (alphabetically) with a dead ipod battery.
Be as it may the connector should charge the iPod battery.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
jster
8th Gear

Default P NA Recommended Solution

After mentioning that others are having this problem and that my dealer should talk to NA again they did so. Porsche's (current?) solution is to have the owner plug and unplug the ipod each time you leave the car overnight. Not a very elegant solution....
Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jster
After mentioning that others are having this problem and that my dealer should talk to NA again they did so. Porsche's (current?) solution is to have the owner plug and unplug the ipod each time you leave the car overnight. Not a very elegant solution....
Is that PCNA's guess at the solution or did they consult with PAG on this to understand what the designed system was supposed to do? If this is how they designed the thing to work because of limitations in what the dock interface allows, then its an issue for Apple to address in terms of what the remote keypad/display (the PCM) can do. If PAG just took the simple approach and didn't fully think the design through, then shame on them. I might remove the iPod occasoinally.. but not nightly. What do you think that type of wear and tear will do to the connector to be plugged and unplugged daily?

Not very elegant indeed. Hopefully a software update can address this.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
jster
8th Gear

As I mentioned before, this is a design flaw (h/w or s/w error) on the P side (likely their supplier) because it worked correctly in my BMW. The advantage of the P system is that, when working, it holds the exact place in the song or whatever while the BMW system holds the song but not the location; causing the song to start over but never reverting to the first song of the first album. I agree that the wear and tear on the connector could be a problem; more on the P side than the ipod side because the ipod side locks while the P side just plugs in. The cable is so stiff that the back and forth action on the pins cannot be good. I was going to see if I could find an extension cable and run it out of the console up to the tray in front of the shifter. At least then it would be easier to connect/disconnect. The current arrangement is convenient only if you can leave the ipod in the center storage compartment and forget about it. Even then though, since that compartment isn't locking, one has to remove the ipod for valet etc. if there is any concern at all.

Originally Posted by Minok
Is that PCNA's guess at the solution or did they consult with PAG on this to understand what the designed system was supposed to do? If this is how they designed the thing to work because of limitations in what the dock interface allows, then its an issue for Apple to address in terms of what the remote keypad/display (the PCM) can do. If PAG just took the simple approach and didn't fully think the design through, then shame on them. I might remove the iPod occasoinally.. but not nightly. What do you think that type of wear and tear will do to the connector to be plugged and unplugged daily?

Not very elegant indeed. Hopefully a software update can address this.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, since P has to fix the charging by USB issue for the newer i devices, lets hope they also consider fixing this issue along the way.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
apegalis
4th Gear

I'm not sure if this helps, but I had the problem where my iPhone would not charge when connected to the iPod interface (in my Honda and my 997). The solution is an adapter called the Scosche PassPORT http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667. This $25 solution may work for you.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ipod Interface