Dash buzz

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:49 AM
dazzpowder
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash buzz

Hi all,

I have an intermittent buzz coming from the front defroster panel. I took it in to an OPC but they did little more than butcher it and solved nothing so I had a go myself. Replacing the clips that the OPC had either lost or bent beyond any use. I thought I had solved it as I had wrapped the locating pins and clips in a material tape but after a long journey it was back. Any ideas as to how I can solve this much appreciated.

D
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had buzzing coming from the ignition key area when driving on rough surface. The dealer replaced the ignition box, and that cured the problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

is it possible that something like a clip, actually fell down into the vent. I had a VW Gti with a quarter that fell into the dash. When we would turn hard, we could hear it slide across the car! If something did fall down there, or was left there after manufacture, it would be a relatively "unsolvable" mystery for a tech. If you have a bore scope you could look down there......
Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Dazz,
Are you absolutely sure that the buzzing is coming from the defroster vent?
I say this because there is a Tech Service Bulletin on a dash buzzing which originates from behing the instrument cluster. I had it on my 06. Took a few attempts by Porsche including replacing the whole cluster but they cured it to the tune of about 90%.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Dazz,
Are you absolutely sure that the buzzing is coming from the defroster vent?
I say this because there is a Tech Service Bulletin on a dash buzzing which originates from behing the instrument cluster. I had it on my 06. Took a few attempts by Porsche including replacing the whole cluster but they cured it to the tune of about 90%.
Never knew there was a TSB for this - I also have this buzzing intermittently; coming from what seems to be behind the inst. clustser.

My car is going in this week for a 20K service but torn whether I should bring it up. I'm afraid they'll take stuff apart and create another problem

Quick Reply: Dash buzz