Sponsored by:

garage door buttons

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Question garage door buttons

i read the manual and it said hold #1/3 till fast blinks... then press button u want to use... then hold opener till lights blink... did all that.. got the blink..

but when i come home and press the button it doesnt do anything...

is there something else im not doing.. or you guys got any tips? im holding the original "clicker" up to the bumper.. do i need to park it under the opener and do the programming that way or something?

thanx in advance
Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May need to press a button on the opener itself in addition to the remote for the opener. On our opener that button is red, FWIW. I think that also is in the manual under the rolling-codes openers, IIRC.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did this for my car today, got the directions from homelink.com. There is a "learn" button on the overhead opener you'll probably need to press in order to program your car's button.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you're using the "big" kind of original remote and make sure it has fresh batteries.

http://macnugget.org/carrera/homelink
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

And be careful....when you press the button on your motor, you can erase the other remotes if you hold it too long (on some).

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
Make sure you're using the "big" kind of original remote and make sure it has fresh batteries.

the fog lights blinked so im guessing that means it got the code... but still doesnt work..

so what im saying is... my opener works fine (main clicker), i "set it" and fog lights blink saying "yes i got the code guy" but then it doesnt work when i go to click my car's button.

am i supposed to be pressing the button again after i see fogs blink? or something im missing.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget

just saw this... ima try it out. thanx
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I remember you need to push the learn button on the overhead unit once the car is set to learn, then you get back in the car and press the button on the headheld while holding it up to the learn buttons in car. Be sure to be clear of the door. Then get back in and press the car button to see if it works.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the fog lights blinked so im guessing that means it got the code... but still doesnt work..

so what im saying is... my opener works fine (main clicker), i "set it" and fog lights blink saying "yes i got the code guy" but then it doesnt work when i go to click my car's button.

am i supposed to be pressing the button again after i see fogs blink? or something im missing.
From your description, it sounds like you've only programmed the handheld remote code into your car. Keep in mind you'll also need to sync the code with the garage door opener's main control unit (the overhead unit in your garage). Like others have noted, there's a learner button on the main unit.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

I had to set up both the Cayenne and 997TT today with our new garage door opener.
As the OP points out, the car will learn the code from the original door opener remote but it doesn't always then work to open the door. Hitting the magic button on the actual garage door motor to learn a new code and then hitting the button in the Porsche worked perfectly.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to echo what a few other have said, if your opener uses rolling codes, you need to use the learn button up on the door opener motor. Go to Homelink.com they have customized instructions that match vehicle make and model with individual garage door manufacturers.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Homelink instructions for programming a Porsche 9XX

Homelink Programming Porsche 9XX
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ucube
From your description, it sounds like you've only programmed the handheld remote code into your car. Keep in mind you'll also need to sync the code with the garage door opener's main control unit (the overhead unit in your garage). Like others have noted, there's a learner button on the main unit.
have 5 other openers for 5 other cars so just didnt wanna have to redo them as well.. i downloaded instructions from homelink and will read tomorrow.. i have a clicker in the car now and its fine.. just figured if i can use the oem buttons=better
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

got it...

hit learn, clicked button twice... third time it opened door.

thanx guys
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I 1st got my car i tried to program the homelink and nothing seemed to work. I tried again today, but this time I cleared all codes first and it works!! 3 devices..

Thanks for the link to JC homelink:-)

Quick Reply: garage door buttons