Sponsored by:

Dension Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dension Install Issues

just got the car back from the car audio shop (they have installed several of these units). Not sure what they did, but it seems that either I have NAV or Dension/IPOD (through mode seletor), but not both. On Service/CDC mode the NAV works and in GAteway 500 mode the Ipod works (no NAV).

They said they split into the fiber loop at the NAV unit. Do this make a difference? The car does not have a CD Changer, but I assume they could used that fiber loop instead or does it make a difference. I assume cars with no CD changer still have the fiber loop for a changer?

I am correct to think they should have used the CD Changer fiber loop and then I would need to get the CD changer loop activated at the dealer?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 134 Posts

When you 'cut into' the FO loop you are dealing with a MOST 'ring' which means that all accessories are time-sharing on that FO circuit. I installed the TOOKI blue tooth system for my car and merely interrupted the FO circuit, installed the TOOKI, and then completed the 'circuit.' I would just venture to say that they did something wrong. It should allow all accessories to work in parallel.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like they blew the install. Email me: eric@bumperplugs.com

Where did you get the unit, and are you sure this shop has done one before?

Out of Nav, into Dension. Out of Dension, into Amp. Program for CD changer.

Disc 6 menu command, Source, GWUI not iPod UI. Dip Switch settings are critical as well.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Eric

I bought the unit from you last fall in the group buy, but put the car away for the winter and never got around to installing the unit. I brought it into the local car audio shop that does the install for the local dealer, although I suspect it may not have been the tech who normally does the porsche installs.

I will have the dealer activate the CD changer when I bring it in for service in the next week or so.

The installer said he tapped into the NAV (not exactly sure what he meant by that) and for whatever reason I can get only one or the other to work (NAV or the Dension, but not both).

I also don't seem be getting the text display, although it seems to always want to switch back over to IPOD IU.

Eric I will email you as I think the first thing I will do is check the dip switch settings, although I'm confused on the install instructions as they seem list dip settings for CDR and PCM. I thought there was only dip switchs on the Dension unit. I must be missing something
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like they installed incorrectly at at least one point. And yes, cd changer must be activated.

CD6 to Menu, Source, GWUI to get control from PCM vs iPod.
+Paging should get you to Text.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
cmdrstask
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem (only Nav or iPod working at a time) when I had my dealer install the Dension. They didn't route the MOST cables correctly. I went out and took a look at the diagram that came with the kit, replugged the cables and all was well. A big concern for me as I was heading on a road trip the next day and wanted both the Nav and iPod working. Kind of annoying as I was getting ready to go and didn't want to mess with the install, which in essence I ended up doing at 1 in the morning before a 7 hour drive.

Quick Reply: Dension Install Issues