Sponsored by:

Rear Paint Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rear Paint Damage

Anyone have any minor paint damge on lower part of bumper cover immediately behind rear wheels? I have some very small chips in my paint on both sides just behind the rear wheels on my 07 997S. I have never driven the car on unpaved roads, but as we all know, the large, soft rubber tires do pick up small debris on the roads and throw it up on the car.

The damage I have is slight, and you have to get down low to see it, but it is there. Numerous small chips about the side of a head of a pin.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Easy to touch up, in an area that can only be seen crawling on the ground...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
Easy to touch up, in an area that can only be seen crawling on the ground...
Nope, too many chips to touch up. Respray by bodyshop is possibility, but not by hand. "Chips" may not be the best word to describe it. It is very small specs, but you can see them and feel them. It is not something on the paint that will come off with clay. The clear coat and color coat is definitley damaged. No chance of rust of course since it is a plastic bumper cover, and the paint damage is not deep.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Nope, too many chips to touch up. Respray by bodyshop is possibility, but not by hand. "Chips" may not be the best word to describe it. It is very small specs, but you can see them and feel them. It is not something on the paint that will come off with clay. The clear coat and color coat is definitley damaged. No chance of rust of course since it is a plastic bumper cover, and the paint damage is not deep.
Can you see them standing up 5ft away? If the answer is no I would not bother and would still touch up.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road blasted is probably a good way to describe that type of paint damage. Re-spray it and it will happen all over again....I have some of exactly what you describe and I am just letting it go, can't see it unless you are on your back anyway.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Swoody
Road blasted is probably a good way to describe that type of paint damage. Re-spray it and it will happen all over again....I have some of exactly what you describe and I am just letting it go, can't see it unless you are on your back anyway.
That's what I have, and road blasted is a good way to describe it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Road blast is very common with these cars. Has been for years due to soft rubber tires and sharp stones that get flung up. The solution once upon a time was a very nice subtle mud guard that was made of ABS or something like that. We could probably design something like that for these cars but it would alter the .cd of the car. An alternative is a special texturing product that is mixed with the right color paint and sprayed upon, say, the bottom area of the car,--like on the rocker panels, and lower third of the rear fender areas.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Road blast is very common with these cars. Has been for years due to soft rubber tires and sharp stones that get flung up. The solution once upon a time was a very nice subtle mud guard that was made of ABS or something like that. We could probably design something like that for these cars but it would alter the .cd of the car. An alternative is a special texturing product that is mixed with the right color paint and sprayed upon, say, the bottom area of the car,--like on the rocker panels, and lower third of the rear fender areas.
Thanks. At least I am not the only one with this issue. I had several M3s before my 997S, and the rear bumper design was similar in that it curved in at the bottom which resulted in the tire extending out past the bumper. I never had this problem with any of those however.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Have the lower area correctly repaired/sprayed, wait a month, and then have clear bra material discretely applied to just those areas prone to damage. Seems pretty cut & dry to me.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Rear Paint Damage