Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion85
You might try a 997 GT3 with no sunroof & the manual GT3 seats. This would address both the headroon & legroom issues.
All U.S. spec GT3 have the sunroof, no sunroof delete for the U.S. on the 997.1 GT3, but I think the new GT3 997.2 has no sunroof, but the wait for one of those will be a little while.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
cgthanos
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My mechanic told me that for some time he has been putting on a wheel extension (between the wheel and the steering wheel mount) to accommodate taller drivers. Apparently these things are available.
This sounds very promising... Thank you for asking. If you happen to speak to your mechanic again, I would be extremely grateful if you could ask for a part number. I still haven't come up with anything, and the Porsche parts counter says that nothing like this exists.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My mechanic told me that for some time he has been putting on a wheel extension (between the wheel and the steering wheel mount) to accommodate taller drivers. Apparently these things are available.
Oh PLEASE give me a part number, where to buy ect. I could really use the wheel to be a little closer.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,488 Posts

In year gone by the aftermarket wheel manufacturers produced steering wheel spaces. Momo had them and we used to install them on Alfa's all the time to overcome the "italian ape" driving position.

Did a quick google on "steering wheel extension" and came up with some such as:

http://store.sevensaturdays.com/gra-4001.html

Maybe you'll need to go aftermarket?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

Ever find out anything on this? I am running in to the same issue.

I did find the following "steering hubs" but there are no details on if these offer any extension.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...he_Tuning.html
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I feel for you buddy, nowhere as tall, but at 6'2, I am right at the edge of any taller would be uncomfortable! One thing is to definitely try the PDK 997.2, as there's no clutch, so that might be better... but honestly I think you might be out of luck with 997.

Have you ever tried an R8? It's got a lot of room for such a low car. Otherwise, in the sports car realm, you are probably gotto look at Aston Martin Vantage, or Maserati Gran Tourismo as they got more room inside.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys, please be careful with modifications to the steering wheel assembly parts.
I had a design engineer create a really nice extension for taller race car drivers (ie-Huisman) who drives with his knees hanging over his ears. During the 2009 Daytona 24hr race, another "big" driver found the steering wheel in his lap. The end result was that the extra length of the wheel created added force that eventually allowed a crack to form in the housing that attached the wheel to the column.
Luckily, this was not catastrophic, but it did move us from a top 3 to a top 6 finish as these parts are not "normal" race car spares for a GT3. Always think through the "unintended consequences" when it comes to systems like braking and steering!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a smaller steering wheel or looking into mounting the seat lower or further back for more legroom ?
I mount the race seats on the floor, plenty strong and lots of leg room.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

I am going to play around a little more with seating position. I have the seat in the lowest position, and almost all the way back. I also have the seat back with almost no recline. In this position I have just about a cm of clearance between the top of my helmet and the roof (which is fine). The issue is I don't have much bend in my arms, so in my book the steering wheel is a little too far away. It looks like I may have to adapt to it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I just installed the PDK paddle shift wheel in my 09 Carra S. I brought up the issue of the wheel being to far away from me with the mechanic. He had looked into the before and said there is not a easy clean way to add a steering hub to bring the wheel toward me more.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A MB "S" Class?
abe
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

reviving this topic... anyone source a steering wheel extension that wont mess up anything else? i think a lot of us big guys need this and just itching to find a source but in the meantime just bearing with adjusting seat position to compensate...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicky rick
reviving this topic... anyone source a steering wheel extension that wont mess up anything else? i think a lot of us big guys need this and just itching to find a source but in the meantime just bearing with adjusting seat position to compensate...
Amen. I am not the tallest guy looking for a fix, at 6'7", but it's frustrating that I can't order my GTS without the damned sunroof!

Regarding tall folks and seats; I know Brey-Krause offers a kit -- for mounting aftermarket seats -- that is claimed to offer the lowest possible seat mounting for a 997.2. If you have a shop that works with Recaro seats, for example, you should be able to install something that improves kneeroom and headroom issues -- but not the reach issue.

This is something I've been considering because I don't think I'll be able to use a helmet in the GTS i've ordered -- and I really want to be able to track it occasionally.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We already have a 55mm extension for the 996 steering wheels.
It is very well made, no flex and with zero problems during the years that we have been selling it.
The manufacturer is now developing a similar product for the 997 which should be available early 2011.

John "911SLOW" on this forum has this extender on his 996GT3 since many years.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

any news on this topic? have they ever released a good quality steerign wheel extension for the 997. this is still a nagging issue for us tall drivers

Quick Reply: Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)