Sponsored by:

Question about steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about steering wheels

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 997.2 base C2. I'm buying one off the lot, instead of custom ordering, so it's not configured EXACTLY like I want...but it's pretty close. One of the options I wanted was the 3-spoke sport steering wheel in smooth leather. I asked the dealer if they could swap out the existing steering wheel in the base C2 with this one and he said he couldn't. That seems odd to me. How hard is it to replace the steering wheel after getting delivery of the car? Is it more expensive than it would be if I'd had the opportunity to pick this option when ordering? Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Depends on the steering wheel config. If the C2 has a triangular hub and the C2S has the round hub, you would have to replace both and it gets very pricey.

On my 06C2S I wanted the smooth leather, thicker rimmed wheel. It was not a difficult swap as both were round hub, non mutli funtion, but the XPA wheel costs around $1200. w/o air bag.

I know this "option" is not quite as outrageous on the 997.2 but check the center hubs and make sure the thicker wheel w/o PDK button is a fitment for non S cars or if an "XPA" wheel is available for your car.

edit--looking at the "configurator" its a $510. option on C2 at order. Figure at least double that purchased later. If its that important to you ( I love my XPA), order a car and get what you want. This upgrade is likely less pricey on C2S as a sport steering wheel is standard so I think the thicker one is only around $200. at order time. If your 997.2C2 has a round hub, I have a black 3 spoke (non XPA) in perfect condition for sale cheap.

PS...welcome to Porsche and the agony of costly options.

Last edited by Jerry Fisher; 04-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Sadiq
Pro

does anyone ever prefer a skinnier wheel? why dont they just make all of them the same thickness, nice and fat?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced my skinny wheel with a thicker FVD wheel. The removal and installation was easy (997.1). The wheel plus adapter added up to just under $2000, IIRC. I have a Tiptronic with paddle shifters on the wheel, which was more expensive than wheel with no paddles.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Thanks, folks. Seems like the short answer is I'm stuck with the base C2 steering wheel unless I'm willing to spend a decent chunk of cash ($1K+). Guess I'll get used to it.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

OR---like yours truly, get sick of that skinny **** thing and let Porsche sell you that oh so reasonably priced exclusive option...

Its all part of the P car ownership experience--not that I am complaining. Its a great car....and to quote one of my buddies who used to have a Cayman S--they are very proud of their work.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
raffi
Pro

i have seen the 3 spoke sport wheel going for around 5-600 on ebay without airbag.
i actually may have a spare one if you are interested in buying, of course you would need a round air bag too.
i also have an aftermarket atiwe steering wheel 340mm very thick, used by fvd, ruf gemballa, etc... that i may sell since my gt3 mk2 will arrive soon and i like the stock alcantara wheel so will have no use for the aftermarket.
is your car pdk?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by raffi
i have seen the 3 spoke sport wheel going for around 5-600 on ebay without airbag.
i actually may have a spare one if you are interested in buying, of course you would need a round air bag too.
i also have an aftermarket atiwe steering wheel 340mm very thick, used by fvd, ruf gemballa, etc... that i may sell since my gt3 mk2 will arrive soon and i like the stock alcantara wheel so will have no use for the aftermarket.
is your car pdk?
No, car isn't PDK. I'm also not looking to spend a lot, or deal with a lot of headache. I figured Porsche might make this relatively easy, but it doesn't look that way. Since I'm leasing the car, I'm not sure it makes sense for me to replace it, given the whole cost and complexity. But I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, I prefer the skinnier wheel. The fat wheel blocks more of the instrumentation. Remember that scene in Ronin where they are talking about what gun they like and DeNiro says "it's just a tool, I use whatever they give me" or something like that. A steering wheel is a steering wheel... Like the car, get past what of the 6 different wheels Porsche gets people to pay for

Quick Reply: Question about steering wheels