Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion: Update GEN 1 suspension with Bilstein Damptronic or Gen II PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion: Update GEN 1 suspension with Bilstein Damptronic or Gen II PASM?

I wanted to improve my car for the track and possibly get rid of my bobbing at higher speeds. So I had an idea about using the springs from the sport suspension PASM on a Gen II car on my 2005 C2S. This would lower the car 10 mm from stock. After researching this I found that the dampers are different too. So I priced it out and foud it cheaper than the Damptronics. I can get the Damptronics for $2650 and I can get the Gen II dampers and springs for $1750 new. The only thing I don't know whether it will plug in? Anyone want to chime in?

On the cheap, I was thinking about replacing only the springs.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you are asking the wrong group - you need to check with your Porsche service manager / senior tech on whether Gen 1 and 2 are compatible. I'd guess not, that the electronics are all updated as everything is integrated (ie: Sport PASM is tied in with PSM, etc.).

I'll say this about Damptronics vs. Sport PASM. I had Damptronics on my 2007 C2S and removed it after about 30 days. The shock dampening and spring rates were not very compatible. On most roads, the rear end would modulate in an odd way, making the back end bob up and down. Many might not even detect it, but I'm a track guy and was very in tune with that car. Also, on the track, the Damptronics couldn't keep up, the back end would cut loose at 9.9/10ths. Went back to stock and everything was fine again.

Sport PASM on the other hand is simply brilliant...
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

Does this mean you got your new car if you are commenting on the new sport PASM? Well going back to the topic, did you ever think than upgraded suspension on your old 997S was giving you grief because of your H & R sway bars? You are the only one that was or is not happy with the Bilsteins. I have not seen any other bad reviews. I respect your opinion and I know about your testing at Limerock, but maybe something was not right with your setup?

What about using just springs with the stock PASM? The sport springs lower it another 10 mm from stock PASM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has not yet arrived but I spent a lot of time in a dealer car with Sport PASM and have a buddy that tracks his 09 with Sport PASM. I found the new system to be extremely good - even better feeling than my 997GT3. We will see on the track once it arrives, but all of the reports have been positive.

My Damptronic experience was with both stock sways and H&R rear with GT3 front. I posted elsewhere here at RL at the time that the setup was proper and after many conversations with the head engineer in CA for Bilstein, the conclusion was that the Damptronics were not designed for the track, so at very high performance levels it could cause the problems I experienced. A slight modulation on the street translated into significant issues on the track. There was also a conclusion by the head engineer that the suspension designed by Porsche is very much "matched", where the sways and shocks / springs work together. Change that (ie: Damptronics w/ any sway not designed to the system) and you can experience what I found. Again, I think I wrote that at a 1:05 lap, things were "ok", at 1:04, things got hairy, at 1:03, it was time to give up (where the stock suspension / sways were just fine and asking for more).

Perhaps the Damptronics is like the PSS product. At a certain level, it can work just fine, but once you get beyond that, then you need something like a JIC or Motons to achieve that next highest level. As a street / DE setup, I'm sure the Damptronics / PSS is fine. For me, they just didn't work and I found the stock setup to allow a higher level of driving. Could it have been somehow related to set-up? Perhaps, but that was not the conclusion we all found.

I like the concept of using Gen 2 SPORT Pasm shocks, springs, and sways on a 997.1, but I have no idea if the systems are compatible. I have no idea if you could leave your Gen 1 PASM and swap out just springs or springs and sways - have to ask somebody like a master tech.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but, I have all new suspension parts for PASM that came off my wife's 09 C4S cab with only a few miles.

Of course 09 Sport PASM (20mm) was never made avail through PCNA on Cabs so to get height & ride I wanted (with the former adjustable) I had Damptronics ready in the parts-mod-pile when the car arrived.
So far, I think they're working out well.....may tweek the height a bit after a few more miles (dropped it about 20 from PASM NAm height).
Her car will never be tracked.....so can't speak to that.

Quick Reply: Opinion: Update GEN 1 suspension with Bilstein Damptronic or Gen II PASM?