Sponsored by:

911 Engine Improvement ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm with you. Who drives a Porsche in the low 3000 rpm range?? If you're driving it at that speed you don't know how to drive it for performance. The key is to exploit the max. torque range of the engine and keep it in max torque range as you accelerate. And that doesn't mean to spend anytime at 3500 rpm.

I think the OP is just trying to rile up the 997 community with such statements, particularly as he hasn't been back...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tip is different though. It seems to programmed for fuel economy rather than performance. In every other respect it is an excellent transmission and when you drive it agressively it responds quite nicely.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Who drives a Porsche in the low 3000 rpm range?? If you're driving it at that speed you don't know how to drive it for performance.
Driving any modern Porsche "for performance" with every shift will leave you without a drivers license rather quickly. As boolala said, with a light foot in a Tiptronic (and PDK as well, from what I understand) it will automatically shift for economy, the transmission upshifting at such a low RPM that it leaves the motor almost lugging.

The flat spot is very real with the 3.6 and Tiptronic when starting sedately in the default 2nd gear. Which, for responsible drivers that use their cars as daily transportation, is going to be most of the time. It's really not a big deal; less observant drivers probably don't notice, and it is easily avoided for those that do.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smithee - I really can't comment on the low rpm range with an AT as the only Porsche I've driven with an AT is a Cayenne - but the OP's post (1 time only so far) was in reference to the 3.6 engine, he didn't specify AT or manual. But to drive a Porsche in the low 3K range, I find it hard and not very satisfying -but that's me and not the answer to the OP's question.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
hikejohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am simply trying to learn about the 2005 model....while driving in 3000 rpm won't happen all the time I suspect that if you are crusing at 60mph plus or minus that you might be around that rpm...my goal isn't to drag race with a 911 but rather as a GT to travel in....I think its fair to learn about possible running changes that further improves the car...such as NAV or RMS issues

Quick Reply: 911 Engine Improvement ?