Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glad I was NOT driving my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nasty damage there, but that's what the other car is for. Better the wagon than the 911.

Originally Posted by Nugget
I can sympathize. I recently moved from Austin to Houston and I'm about ready to sell my Porsche and buy a Honda Fit out of frustration over the roads here. My car has aged more and developed more rattles and squeaks in the past two months of central Houston driving than it did in all my track time and two years of driving in Austin. It's really demoralizing.
Whoa...where do you live in Houston? Sure Austin has some fairly smooth freeways/highways, but the city seems to have been mired in road construction ever since I left in '93.

I'm a native Houstonian, and my Porsches (past and present) have never seen a pothole on the greater SW side.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Montrose and commute to Greenway Plaza each day on Richmond. It's just a few miles but the roads are total crap. Westheimer, Alabama, Richmond, they're all in really awful shape. I can't cross Kirby at any speed without scraping.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Potholes can be fatal...

One of my clients, who was a healthy seventy years old man, drove his Mustang Convertible on freeway. His car hit a huge pothole and lost control. The car flipped upside down, and he had a tennis-ball size hole in his skull.
Is the lack of roll-over protection on the Mustang convertible a contributing factor?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM
glpellegrino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Dave - we were on Rt 114 in Danvers right by (ironically) Ira Porsche. There's a railroad overpass just before the McDonalds as you head west. The crater - I mean pothole - was right by that railroad bridge, far right lane. That's what I get for driving keeping right and not passing people at that moment.

Gene
Just drove through there in one of my other cars on a Chipotle run (yumm!) the other day - the secret to that spot is never be in the right lane going under the rail overpass. Drivers come out from under the overpass, see the McDonalds sign and slam their brakes on to pull into the parking lot suddenly. I guess year's of conditioning have saved me the potential loss from that pothole!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quit the opposite in NoVa. Sometimes I feel they waste money (my taxes!) on new roads and bridges. I swear the goal of the county is to get rid of all the red lights as they put bridges on every crossroads.
Every 3 years they have the asphalt redone and they constantly repair the roads. If there is a pothole, the next day it's gone.

It is a pleasure to drive a nice car here.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by zizu
Quit the opposite in NoVa. Sometimes I feel they waste money (my taxes!) on new roads and bridges. I swear the goal of the county is to get rid of all the red lights as they put bridges on every crossroads.
Every 3 years they have the asphalt redone and they constantly repair the roads. If there is a pothole, the next day it's gone.

It is a pleasure to drive a nice car here.
part of the reason I'm moving to NoVA and part of the reason registration fees are so high there :-P

Quick Reply: Glad I was NOT driving my Porsche