Sponsored by:

Purchasing From P Dealer vs. Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGA23
It may not be about the money for you, but it may be for the OP. We don't know.

And the extra $5-7K protects him for probably 12ish months more than the balance of the '06s factory warranty. It isn't as though the CPO warranty has no end date.

So, IMHO, it comes down to (assuming there is no sales tax on PP deals) whether OP thinks it is worth it to pay $5-7K for about a years extra warranty. Most of us on this board would say yes but we can't answer for the OP. If he would have to pay sales tax, this is a no-brainer then.
All due respect man, you're dead wrong.

Original warranty, 4 years, 50k. Beyond that, who knows if it has any paintwork, sheetmetal replaced, or frame damage ect ect.

Mix bag of goods.

CPO- you get an additional 2 years, upto 100k bumper to bumper, with no exceptions (as of 08/08) in the warranty.
new tires.
new pads
2 keys
books
mats (if it came with it)
no paintwork
no sheetmetal replaced
no frame damage

Trust me, At Law can afford the difference. The question is, will he spend LESS and up paying more in the end? In todays economy, are you prepared to make that gamble?

You're better off taking that money and going to Vegas. At least you'll have fun before you get bent over.

Engines going bad are not unheard of.

CPO takes the guess work out of it. And it's transferable from person to person, it follows the VIN.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

And the sales tax arguement, while a decent point is almost moot. In most states you gotta pay it. Regardless. So what's the point in discussing it?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by At Law
Yes, the prices are similar. However the dealer has an 05 and the
private party is an 06.
I would go with the private party 06. I bought mine private party and owner had all service records from day one. I had no warranty but never had any problems ever and I've had it for 3 years already.

If the private party owner does not have the service records, than thats a different story.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

gee unclear that the CPO Porsche warranty covers...been looking at 2005...with RMS problem....their mechanics say they still that problem on newer cars and no changes have been made...but the bottom line is that if the RMS is failing....then clutch is toast...or soon to be toast....but that they may or may not decide to replace the clutch....which since things are open make no sense to me....any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hikejohn
gee unclear that the CPO Porsche warranty covers...been looking at 2005...with RMS problem....their mechanics say they still that problem on newer cars and no changes have been made...but the bottom line is that if the RMS is failing....then clutch is toast...or soon to be toast....but that they may or may not decide to replace the clutch....which since things are open make no sense to me....any thoughts?
Porsche CPO from the Porsche web site
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use your judgement. I wouldn't make any absolute rule of dealer over pp, or vice versa. I've turned down deals with PP because I wasn't confident in the car's history. And other times I went with PP because I was confident, and it was better financially.

There's no absolute. It's a judgement call.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM
hikejohn
Advanced

According to the dealer I am talking to, CPO looks at percentage of wear and if in their judgement/Porsche's that tires, brake pads may not have to be replaced....they determine wear and make a judgement...fair enough....but my concern is in replacing a RMS that the clutch/pressure plate isn't necessarily done automatically....my experience is that once oil gets on a clutch...that it should be replaced....particularly since your have removed most everything needed to do the job
Old 04-22-2022, 09:25 PM
Avincent52
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback.
A couple of things: the dealer actually has *three* manual 997.1s in stock. 08 Carrera S, 06 base, and 05 base. And all three interior colors: Stone Gray, Sand Beige and Black.
So it's totally worth the trip just for the education alone.

FWIW, there's no tax advantage for me in buying privately--I live in NJ and and when you register the car you pay the tax if you bought it from a private party.

I don't think any of these cars have a warranty, CPO or otherwise.
I think the main advantage might be that if I take the car for a PPI and the technician finds a couple of non-deal breaker problems: say, a glitchy door lock switch and a serpentine belt.
The dealer has mechanics and parts and can just fix that issue "wholesale' rather than having to negotiate repair costs with the seller.
And if there was some kind of serious problem that somehow slipped past a PPI, I guess a Porsche dealer has more incentive to make things right, maybe after a call to Porsche NA if it comes to that.

Quick Reply: Purchasing From P Dealer vs. Private Party