Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE coming - new tires before or after?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPDE coming - new tires before or after?

I'm signed up for my first HPDE day in May at NH Motor Speedway. Based on the fact that my front tires (P Zeros) were "cupped" when I bought the car last year, the dealer has agreed to replace them as soon as I bring the car in (we waited for winter to pass). I'm also planning to replace the rears. This question seems obvious but I'll ask anyway:

Should I replace all 4 tires before the driving event or wait till afterwards?

The way they are now I have an increasing level of tire noise pretty much all the time. They've gone at least 15K miles, maybe 20K (hard to know beyond the 10K I've put on them). There's also a minor but annoying low-frequency thrum-thrum-thrum at 38-40 mph, which is caused by the cupping.

I would think to keep them on for the HPDE session, then replace afterwards. On the other hand, having new rubber for that event would be very nice and perhaps safer, though I'm a novice anyway so won't be pushing too too hard. Thoughts?

Gene
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

If your tires are safe I would run the DE and replace after.

Last edited by 996toomey; 04-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace them. i can't see being concerned about tires at 120mph. the only benefit to keeping them is a little incremental wear which is nothing compared to the safety aspect. by safety, i'm referring to the distraction as much as the actual grip.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How much tread on them and have they ever been patched? If they are fine other than the cupping, I'd use them up - the track is the perfect place.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Gene,
I agree with Ron. If there is some tread left, go ahead and DE the remaining rubber off!
I'll be there too on 5/19-20 with PCA but I'll be driving my 986.
I look forward to meeting you.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What ever you do I would have the alignment checked when you do it.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WHAT GROUP DO YOU RUN IN???

i'LL BE THERE IN THE 968, WITH MY SON RUNNING, OMG HE'S 18.

i'LL RUN THE 911 ON TUES.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

NEVER MIND i SEE THAT IT'S YOUR 1ST DE. ARE YOU DOING THE NOVICE SCHOOL ON MONDAY?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

I am doing the Monday novice day, just to get a feel on my first time. Didn't sign up for either of the other days (I still have a day job!)

My current tires are in fine shape, really, lots of tread, so I think I'll keep them on until after the event. The cupping on the fronts is a problem and the standard noise from wearing-out tires is annoying but tolerable. I can live with it for 6 more weeks. Besides, once it gets just a little bit warmer the noise is almost undetectable with the top down :-)

I am having the 30K service done next week and they'll flush out the brake fluid as was recommended.

Gene
Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

great!!! I look forward to meeting you. My Son is running the novice day as well in my Blk 968

If you need anything before hand give me a shout (pm me Here)
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd leave them on. At your first DE you probably aren't going to be pushing the limits of the tire anyway.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

I met with the dealer today and I decided to wait till after the HPDE day to put the new rubber on. Next week it'll have its 30K service and a top-to-bottom checkup. Then after the event I'll bring it back and they'll mount the tires and check everything out again. (If I didn't know better I'd say this dealer was trying to win me back after a truly dismal post-sale experience :-)

I did get to talk to one of the sales guys who's done the HPDE at the same track. I got his first-hand take on the circuit, how the day progresses, and the interesting point that I'll never get out of 4th gear. Most surprising to me was the fact that despite 30 years of Porsche ownership and extensive driving experience, the first time he got out there his leg was shaking at the start so much he could barely depress the clutch. Halfway around the first lap his instructor told him everything he was doing on accelerating, shifting and braking was wrong. Then he showed him how it's done on a track. Now THAT's an education!

Bottom line is: I can't wait!

Gene
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I have to ask - How is it you are allowed to run a cab? Did your dealer sign off on the pre-tech report?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I have to ask - How is it you are allowed to run a cab? Did your dealer sign off on the pre-tech report?
Why not?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Not sure if this is just the PCA chapters in the Northeast or not, but unless he added a "permanent" roll bar since the avatar photo, the cab would never pass our tech. The old "Broomstick Test". Point being roll-over protection. I believe any form of pop-up roll protection won't pass the test.

Of course I can't tell what group OP is running with, but I'm pretty sure both PCA and BMWCCA wouldn't allow it, unless a roll bar was installed.

Gene, better check into all of this...

Text from our chapter's DE guide:
11. All open cars, including cabriolets and Boxsters, must have a visible, approved roll bar which
conforms to the following: With the occupant(s) (student and instructor, if applicable) firmly and correctly
belted into the vehicle, the occupant(s) helmet must be below a straight line drawn between the top of the
windshield and the top of the roll bar (clearance in a “Broomstick Test”). It is further recommended that
roll bar be padded in any area that may come in contact with the occupant(s) helmet. Participation of open
cars requiring instructors will be limited at each event based on the number of volunteer instructors who
pass the “Broomstick Test”.

Quick Reply: HPDE coming - new tires before or after?