Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why c4s no longer looks like the TURBO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009 | 09:31 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default wow

Had no clue so many would get on the attack about a simple design direction Porsche seemed to take in 997+........ guess the Porsche designers and engineers were on the spiked cool aid all those years doing what they did through 993, 996 and some 964 model cars resembling turbos in some fashion over the years.... and less like their base 911 variant.

Oh and yes the more money I spend the better looking I would like my car to be...... So you'd rather spend more money for a car that looks like as appealing as a car that costs 20-30K less? Come on, be honest..... yeah right, all you care about is heritage, how the car feels and it can look like turd but your "purist" and you did not buy the car for any visual appeal.... give it up. I like my car to look as nice as it drives and if that's insane to people, well think your trying to ride some warped yet mighty soapbox....

Nothing wrong with a mid range priced car (between a turbo and a base 997) like the c4s looking, well a better then its lesser priced stock 997.... Do you think Turbo owners would be thrilled if for 150K their cars looked like a stock 997 rolling on 18's? Answer = no...... Sure they are just posers as well? I know some here think a stock 997 looks better then a turbo right? I am sure someone will dare make the attempt..... I will be the infadel and say No F nnnnn way...... the GT2 IMO looks better then the Turbo,,,, yes can you believe I think this as well....

Come on gentlemen, my post was not trying to be a poser just more a simple question of why Porsche decided to do things a bit different this time around was all.

Finally yes if I was to spend 120K for a well optioned C4S I would hope it looked signifiganty better then a stock 80K 997.....and not only by a bit wider ****.... although like the fact they kept the wide body....

Would many wide body C4s owner's be upset if their cars were narrow? Just curious.... all seem to love their rear ends (as do I) from whet I can tell.

Dam.....

and yes lets see the popcorn popper replies.... sure I am about to get rolled. Read my initail thread before you grenade please....

Last edited by mickfluff; 04-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2009 | 09:34 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Never said you did

Buy it to pose, but sure you liked how it looked, at least a little no? Guess what, it looks like a turbo in many ways.... and think that is great. By no means was inferring anyone was posing.....

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I love the look of my '04 C4S Cab....but did not buy it to pose as something else. I went into it after 5 years in a '99 C2 Cab. Thought it was a nice move up, wider stance, packaged options out the wazoo (it was called a special edition for '04 where they lumped full leather and other goodies into the C4S), and all around just great feel and driving experience.

I like the overall wide hip look, the wider stance and beefier rubber all the way around, the turbo brakes, etc. But I know it's not a turbo, and everyone else does too, if they even think about it. I never think about it for a minute. I just get in, drive, and grin.

And I'm having a tough time thinking about moving out of it this year....warranty is good through May '10, but I don't think I want to own another Porsche out of warranty. Been there, done that.

Damn thing looks brand new, has low miles, etc. And I don't yet 'love' the 997 interior enough to go ga-ga over it. Still waiting to see what the '10 might bring looks-wise. Or maybe I'll sell, hang onto the Cooper S a bit, and then go back in '11 for a screaming Porsche Turbo Cab. Hooohaaa.
Old 04-02-2009 | 09:41 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by mickfluff

Nothing wrong with a mid range priced car (between a turbo and a base 997) like the c4s looking, well a better then its lesser priced stock 997.... Do you think Turbo owners would be thrilled if for 150K their cars looked like a stock 997 rolling on 18's? Answer = no...... Sure they are just posers as well? I know some here think a stock 997 looks better then a turbo right? I am sure someone will dare make the attempt..... I will be the infadel and say No F nnnnn way...... the GT2 IMO looks better then the Turbo,,,, yes can you believe I think this as well....

Come on gentlemen, my post was not trying to be a poser just more a simple question of why Porsche decided to do things a bit different this time around was all.

Finally yes if I was to spend 120K for a well optioned C4S I would hope it looked signifiganty better then a stock 80K 997.....and not only by a bit wider ****.... although like the fact they kept the wide body....
Well, you're barely spending more than on a 997S with the same options, and for that you get AWD and the wide body. It's maybe the suggestion that the C4S is something that it isn't that's essentially sending the flak in your direction. Just about any base 997 (Base, S, C4, C4S) can easily be optioned up to 120K. You have to go up to the GT3 before your argument holds water, and that's where Porsche does clearly differentiate (visually and mechanically) between it and the lower end models that all of us drive.
Old 04-03-2009 | 08:49 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default when buying new

When comparing on the lot new a stock none S light optioned (many roll this way) 997 vs a c4s 997 (C4s typically comes with some extras well optioned) the price difference is substancial I believe. Not few a few thousand dollars.

Originally Posted by swajames
Well, you're barely spending more than on a 997S with the same options, and for that you get AWD and the wide body. It's maybe the suggestion that the C4S is something that it isn't that's essentially sending the flak in your direction. Just about any base 997 (Base, S, C4, C4S) can easily be optioned up to 120K. You have to go up to the GT3 before your argument holds water, and that's where Porsche does clearly differentiate (visually and mechanically) between it and the lower end models that all of us drive.
Old 04-03-2009 | 09:43 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
When comparing on the lot new a stock none S light optioned (many roll this way) 997 vs a c4s 997 (C4s typically comes with some extras well optioned) the price difference is substancial I believe. Not few a few thousand dollars.
Which takes us right back to your apparent belief that the "4" cars should look different simply because they cost more. I find that totally absurd. In what way, other than to be conspicuous, does that matter at all?

Presumably a buyer would be interested in the more expensive model because it has additional features or capabilities which they want or need. Are you suggesting that you (and others) want the more expensive model just because it's more expensive? And that it's less desirable because people can't easily tell that you spent more? It certainly sounds like that's what you're saying.

If you want 4WD then shop the "4" cars -- they have that feature. Personally, I don't find it an appealing feature, but clearly some people do. They're "better" if you want 4WD and "worse" if you don't. Same for the Turbo -- better if you want that set of features and capabilities and worse if you don't.

If you're buying any of these cars just because you want others to know you spent a lot then you'd be a lot happier looking at other marques, imho.
Old 04-03-2009 | 10:25 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Nugget

Are you kidding me, you find it absurd that a higher model line should look better then a lower model line? Should it looks worse? Then the turbo should look just like a stock narrow bodied car right? If your position is true.....that is exactly what your saying.... if porsche could get the gt2, gt3 etc to perform as they do but look the same as a base model car then they should right? all look the exact same? Pretty boring if you ask me....never mind an insane position to take.

Buddy, read the post again, please.... then once it settles in read it again and maybe you might then reply back with a general comment reply rather then your personal view on what I am looking for?

It is a simple basic question on why porsche changed from the direction they took in the past...... jesus christ.... I don't want 4wd, I don't others to know I spent more or less..... I would pay less if the car costing less looked better then the more expensive model so its is not a $ thing but a visual asthetic look thing.... typically not the case (or rarely) does the lower line or model of any car look better then then higher line...... here in the past Porsche for years made the C4s IMO clearly stand out from a base model car, but 997.1 only a hair different (in wide) and 997.2 added the reflector back etc.... the question is a styling question not a performance question....

and don't say it does not matter as again everyone (most) comments on how the wide body looks better... that us a styling Q/Design etc that just looks better.

Originally Posted by Nugget
Which takes us right back to your apparent belief that the "4" cars should look different simply because they cost more. I find that totally absurd. In what way, other than to be conspicuous, does that matter at all?

Presumably a buyer would be interested in the more expensive model because it has additional features or capabilities which they want or need. Are you suggesting that you (and others) want the more expensive model just because it's more expensive? And that it's less desirable because people can't easily tell that you spent more? It certainly sounds like that's what you're saying.

If you want 4WD then shop the "4" cars -- they have that feature. Personally, I don't find it an appealing feature, but clearly some people do. They're "better" if you want 4WD and "worse" if you don't. Same for the Turbo -- better if you want that set of features and capabilities and worse if you don't.

If you're buying any of these cars just because you want others to know you spent a lot then you'd be a lot happier looking at other marques, imho.
Old 04-03-2009 | 10:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe Porsche could have a special "S" which could be an option, for an additional fee of course.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2009 | 11:10 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I actually wish people didn't know I spent so much... People I work with are very sensitive to such things. That said, I think visual differentiation between models is good. I think offering a GT3 engine/brake package in a Carrera would be better (as opposed to buying a full GT3).
Old 04-03-2009 | 12:37 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I stand corrected - it was different model years of 993 that had a difference in hp. Thanks for the correction.
When the 993 was first introduced in 1995 it had 270hp. From 1996 to the end of the 993 production run all normally aspirated 911s had 282hp, regardless of whether they were the standard Carrera, C2S, or C4S.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-03-2009 | 01:19 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default sure

Maybe get a tatoo of the same on your forehead, could also be sweat

Originally Posted by gota911
Maybe Porsche could have a special "S" which could be an option, for an additional fee of course.
Old 04-03-2009 | 01:24 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default one line

Your taking one line out of the larger full question.... compared to in the past when Porsche did more to differentaite between the c4s and the none c4s is all.

Originally Posted by swajames
Perhaps because other than the body and the AWD hardware it is exactly the same car...

Quick Reply: Why c4s no longer looks like the TURBO?