Sponsored by:

997.2 Sports exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Greg P
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Sports exhaust question

Anybody heard anything new on availability of the new gen 2 sports exhaust ? It was supposed to be available on factory builds from Feb 09 and as a retrofit from April 09. My dealer doesn't have any new cars with it fitted yet and no information on the retro.
If anyone has taken delivery of PSE from the factory yet or has any more details please share. Not too sure on the black exhaust tips I've seen in some pre-release pics from a couple of months ago, so I wanted to see in person before committing.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Don't know if it helps, but my custom build 997.2 with PSE begins March 30, so they're putting them on U.S.-bound cars soon (ostensibly). I haven't seen a dealer showing them yet. Here's a real life photo of a German guy's 997.2 PSE tips: http://www.rennteam.com/page/content...cumentId=52456

People are already photoshopping them to make them look like they "should have" looked. Consensus so far is that aftermarket tips can't help but help the look of them, but there are apparently issues with soot from DFI engines, hence the black inserts. But you probably knew all that.

Now I notice that you're in the UK! They don't have them there yet??
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
B_Rob
8th Gear

Hi, new guy on the forum. I am waiting for my C2S with PSE to arrive. It was built on March 12 so should be here in a couple of weeks. I will post impressions and pics when I have my new baby.

Bruno
Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
DPorcella
Instructor

I'll look forward to that report, Bruno!
Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 AM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone that actually has the '09 PSE. Porsche markets it as being an entirely new system and that the deeper sport sound can be triggered at any time "at the push of a button on the center of the dash." Sounds like this might be different from the '08 wherein sport exhaust is only activated when you push the "sport" button and only noticeable in sound when the engine is pushed in hard acceleration. Sounds like now, you push a button and get the deeper growl right away regardless of whether or not the engine is pushed hard/high revs. Can stainless steel straight (normal) tips be placed on the PSE? The "circumcised hot dog in a bun" look of the new PSE tips is absolutely hideous - would be a deal breaker for me if that is the only way you can get PSE. I cannot imagine what Porsche was thinking when they signed off on such a monstrosity. They might as well just roll out an orange '10 Panamera with PSE tips and a ******** tan interior and get it over with....
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I doubt there will be a substantial difference between the way PSE in the 997.2 ('09) functions versus the 997.1 ('05 - '08) cars. The '09 cars do have an redesigned exhaust system compared to the 997.1 cars, primarily because of the relocation of the Cats from the rear of the engine to just outside the headers, and the addition of a center muffler 9see 1st pic below). However, if you look closely at the side mufflers, they appear to be the same as or at least very similar to the 997.1 mufflers.

The dash switch to turn the PSE to loud mode has been in use since the 996 models and will carry over to the 997.2 models. You are correct in stating that 997.1 cars that had both Sport Chrono and PSE, the Sport button controlled both of these functions. However, in cars that had just PSE, there was a button which controlled just PSE.

I anticipate that the "loudness cut out" (goes back to quiet mode) between 30 MPH and 50 MPH (approximately) will still be present and controlled by the DME to comply with the Euro noise abatement laws.

The 1st pic below is of the 997.2 stock exhaust system. The 2nd pic is my attempt at a photo shop of what I envision what the PSE system will look like, which has a second outlet pipe exiting the top of the muffler, much like the 997.1 mufflers have currently. Of course, I could be totally wrong, since I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

We have cars on order that have PSE. So, yes it's available.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Just get the Sharkwerks bypass pipe. Sounds very similar to the PSE and it's half the price. I looooove mine. Sanner and those of you who have it, can back me up. It sounds pretty cool!

The new PSE looks like 4 hotdogs wrapped in buns
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM
lockmk
Track Day

Default Sharkwerks muffler bypass

I will echo other comments about the new Sharkwerks bypass system. I had it installed this week and the car now produces exactly the kind of sound I was looking for. It has been warm and sunny since I got the car back and with the windows down I can tell you the exhaust note goes from a 'crackle' to a wail as the revs rise. It's not too loud, but there is no mistake that it is non-stock. At around $1k it is great value for money and seems to liberate a bit of power and torque as well...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lockmk
I will echo other comments about the new Sharkwerks bypass system. I had it installed this week and the car now produces exactly the kind of sound I was looking for. It has been warm and sunny since I got the car back and with the windows down I can tell you the exhaust note goes from a 'crackle' to a wail as the revs rise. It's not too loud, but there is no mistake that it is non-stock. At around $1k it is great value for money and seems to liberate a bit of power and torque as well...
How much louder than stock would you say it is when you're cruising on the freeway with the windows up?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Along these lines, I also wanted to ask whether doing the Fabspeed or Sharwerks bypass sport exhaust upgrade has the effect of actually worsening the much discussed soot problem with new DI 997.2 engines. Wonder if Porsche will do any tweaks to the '10 997.2 to address the soot issue and to also do something about the 997.2 muted stock engine sound issue.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lockmk
Cheers lockmk, really glad you like it and I love that color!
Originally Posted by jlinmd
Just get the Sharkwerks bypass pipe. Sounds very similar to the PSE and it's half the price. I looooove mine. Sanner and those of you who have it, can back me up. It sounds pretty cool!

The new PSE looks like 4 hotdogs wrapped in buns
Thanks so much for the support and glad you like it:P
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleclutch09
Along these lines, I also wanted to ask whether doing the Fabspeed or Sharwerks bypass sport exhaust upgrade has the effect of actually worsening the much discussed soot problem with new DI 997.2 engines. Wonder if Porsche will do any tweaks to the '10 997.2 to address the soot issue and to also do something about the 997.2 muted stock engine sound issue.
The soot is there no matter the exhaust. the soot will show up more on the outside of the car as you start to eliminate exhaust components which do trap some of the soot.

I have the Fabspeed side muffler by pass pipes. I took out the side mufflers and use only the rear center muffler. this is much like the current Porsche race cars. the car is a lot lounder, much less restriction but the soot shows up on the outside of the car a lot easier.

I feel that Porsche has the car running extremely rich...thus the soot issue. I had a motorcycle tuned and it was running rich and I had this same issue. I had the bike leaned out a little and the soot went away.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Greg P:
They started installing PSE the end of the 1st week of February but as of last week the first boatload was just getting to the harbor here, so another 1-2-3 weeks before they arrive at the dealers. I've spent three years asking why anyone would want PSE when there are so many better alternatives from AWE, Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, Tubi, etc.?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Tejoe, where is Here? What port are you referring to?
thanks.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Sports exhaust question