Sponsored by:

Offical Word on N-Spec Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If the compound is a racing compound (R-Comp) then of course it will perform at a much higher level than anything Porsche recommends. But then, Porsche also discourages the installation of such tires on these cars as the suspension will fully exploit the tire,--but the engine cannot. They didn't build the 997s to race on a track with such tires because of the g-forces' tendency to starve the engines.
Dan, there are plenty of 997S cars racing in the Porche Club races without any oil starvation issues at all. You can modify the 996 X51 oil baffle part to fit the 997S engine if you want some extra safety.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Mike-did you discuss 18 vs 19 at all?
I did bring that up and they skirted away from that question saying they do not have any data to answer that question. Funny you should ask this because I brought this up when I was speaking with Pat Long at the Lizards tent and he got a Porsche engineer involved and I was told that Porsche designed the PASM around 19" wheels and the shorter sidewall. They would figure that a 19" tire would work the best. What I came away with was that Porsche does not have any data on 18 vs 19 R comp tires like most of us track guys are using. Most guys use 18's because the tires only come in 18" or they are less expensive than 19's. Pat Long explained to me that race cars use 18's due to rules and the suspension being set up around 18's and that 19's were more for marketing but Porsche designed the PASM around the 19" tire.

Basically I did not come away with a firm exact answer on 18 vs 19 because nobody have exact test data.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's good to see more and more people are beginning to accept the fact that Porsche and other car manufacturers are steered by marketing as much as they are by technology. Like Mobil Water, "N" spec tire usage began in the Marketing department and NOT the engineering department. In this day and age, accepting many of the a car manufacturers recommendations on what is best for your car will, a best, only cost you more money, and at worse, shorten the useful life of the car.

The owner's manual of a car is not a bible outlining what is best, but is a marketing tool and a CYA legal document.. If you remember that, your first instinct will be to look for a better alternative to recommendations and suggestions.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N Spec tires, just like MOBIL 1, it's all paid for marketing hype!

If it wasn't they would not warranty your vehicle if you deviated to an "unapproved" product.

It is a very lucrative part of the Porsche mystique.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's been quite interesting to observe all the Porsche forums (on Rennlist) at one time or another and what I have found over time is that as Porsches get older, owners choose less expensive tires for their rides. Routinely, the most current model (i.e., 997) gets the latest tire technology and the owners of these cars tend to spend the bucks and maintain the ride. As a long-time Porsche guy, I can tell you that these cars perform as they do mostly because they are developed with the tire manufacturers hand-in-hand. Many 996 owners are already migrating away from the usual N-spec guys like Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc. simply to save a buck. FEW pre-89 911 owners these days spend the bucks for that stuff, opting instead for the lesser brands, like Sumimoto, and Kumho.

If you truly appreciate the work Porsche went through to get these things to handle like they do it may very well pay for you to factor that into your tire-buying.

Of course, part of the problem is that it is getting more and more difficult to buy a performance tire in anything smaller than a 17 inch rim, which means the 993 and earlier cars have a challenge out there locating a viable tire that (1) fits and (2) performs.

As the tires keep getting developed over time and as new models come out, what is the right tire to use as the car ages. Certainly, 993 owners had tires that may have been matched to that car, but are 2009 997 tires the right spec tires to use on a 993?

Tires designed for newer cars are not necessarily better for your old car.

Tires that match the 'then current spec' for when your care came out would work well, but you may be missing out on general tire technology improvements that have happened since then, so just sticking with the 'spec from when the car was new' tire isn't necessarily right.

Does Porsche provide a continually updated list of what the recommended tires are for the existing line of cars or do they just make recommendations and testings for current new model years?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Minok, you bring up an excellent point...when our 997 car is 10 years old and PS2's for example are no longer around what tire will be suited for a 997? the answer will be any other high performance tire...simple as that....enough of this marketing N Spec BS.

Just by a performance tire with the correct sizing and load rating and your car will perform at it's best...same with oil...use the proper weight and you will be fine.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

Does Porsche provide a continually updated list of what the recommended tires are for the existing line of cars or do they just make recommendations and testings for current new model years?
Yes they change specs all the time, partially based on who is spending the money to get approved. The fact is, if the current "N" spec tire manufacturers doubled their prices to Porsche, Porsche would quickly find a less costly tire even tho the tires are supposed to be the BEST. Same thing for oil. It's all about pay to play.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche tune their suspensions around the N1 Tires(The stiffnes of the sidewall and the grip)(Not just any tires out there). just like Teknik1 mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Offical Word on N-Spec Tires