997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seeking help with brake upgrade suggestions for daily driver use at DE events

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 07:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Singe, looks like you paid for race pads (Blue RS5) but got Sport Pads (also painted Blue, but the part numbers you quoted from the box). Bait and switch or honest mistake? Either way, Blue 5s cost about $100 more than Sport Pads.

Yes, I ran in Black and he ran in Yellow. 4 x 25 minute sessions x 2 days at Watkins Glen with about 25 minutes between (fortunately, we weren't exactly back to back so no "quick change"). I was shocked at how well the Sport Pads (which are really Black 4-2-1) held up and it was the OEM fluid that gave up half way through day 2.
Old 03-21-2009 | 07:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Singe, looks like you paid for race pads (Blue RS5) but got Sport Pads (also painted Blue, but the part numbers you quoted from the box). Bait and switch or honest mistake? Either way, Blue 5s cost about $100 more than Sport Pads.

Yes, I ran in Black and he ran in Yellow. 4 x 25 minute sessions x 2 days at Watkins Glen with about 25 minutes between (fortunately, we weren't exactly back to back so no "quick change"). I was shocked at how well the Sport Pads (which are really Black 4-2-1) held up and it was the OEM fluid that gave up half way through day 2.
Times 2
Old 04-28-2009 | 11:21 AM
Singe
Track Day

The pads were $389 for front and rear. RonCT has researched Suncoast as having them for about $382. Paragon parts has Pagid Sport set F+R about $430, Livermore performance has the same set (T5110,T5104) for $470. I don't think I paid 2x for these sport pads.
Old 04-28-2009 | 08:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

For the power of your car you need Pagid RS29 Yellows. Swaping street stock pads to track pads for a DE is simple and fast. There is no pad that does it all street and track.
Old 04-28-2009 | 08:20 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

ditto on the pagid yellows. swapping them out is required because of the insane noise they'll provide under normal driving but they're awesome on the track. i also do not race but use them i DEs
Old 04-28-2009 | 09:00 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default TURBO

Originally Posted by Singe
Have 2006 C4S Cab w/Ruf Kompressor. Go is good, whoa needs help. If I string together some really good laps I lose braking until the final inch of travel and then it's not at full stopping capability. Brakes were bled one week before event. Searched for brake related upgrades on Porsche forums and would like to see if I can solicit feedback on experience with:
FLUID - MUST DO COMPLETE FLUSH AND REFILL
GS610
Castrol SRF
Any real difference?
DUCTS larger brake ducts
Will either Turbo brake ducts or GT3 brake duct spoilers fit a 997 S? One of them needs to be replaced, ok refitted, due to some unscheduled under body work from taking a previously uncharted path on & off the track so I'm doing this anyway.
"I just found a story that 997 GT-3 brake ducts fit on 997S cars with no modifications. They cost $30 from Suncoast. They also do not hang as low as other racing ducts."
Rubbing problems on street/driveways?
This is in Texas so the ducts are really moving already hot ambient air off the track surface over really hot brakes.
PADS
upgrade street to track? I will never do race.
Blue race pads allegedly half street/half track.
Who makes these?
Any recommendations on pads that still work well in daily use however bring the car's speed down faster would be great.
LINES
Stainless braided brake lines have been mentioned. Seems like overkill with new fluid, ducts, and pads.
Thanks in advance.
My car has the larger brakes from the Turbo. With stock pads these brakes do the job at the track. I'm using stock pads and I can drive the car at 10/10ths, and the brakes last.
Mr. B
Old 04-28-2009 | 09:02 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Brown
My car has the larger brakes from the Turbo. With stock pads these brakes do the job at the track. I'm using stock pads and I can drive the car at 10/10ths, and the brakes last.
Mr. B
Oh yeah, if you install the larger Turbo brakes you'll need to use these rims.
Mr. B
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2009 | 10:43 PM
Singe
Track Day

Yep. Was able to see how easy it was to change the brake pads this weekend. Definitely will be swapping street for race from now on.

Is it best to use the Optimoly or really bad things will happen?
Old 04-28-2009 | 10:55 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Good advice above. I also think most will find the Yellows last more than 2X as long as the OEM -

Quick Reply: seeking help with brake upgrade suggestions for daily driver use at DE events