Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Porsche and winter don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009 | 10:17 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Didn't realize this was going to be such a popular thread!

At least I was only called out once on my poor planning for being in Maine in March and not anticipating some snowfall (thanks Minok). But then, it was in the 50-60s all weekend, and nothing snowy was forecast for Monday. Plus, if you had had the chance to stay one more night with the company I had, you would have risked it :-) And it definitely turned out to be a risk.

That said, I agree 110% that it's not the car it's the tires. My usual winter driver (which was enjoying a rest back home at the time) is an E320 4Matic wagon. This year it has Michelin X-Ice tires all around, which have gotten me through everything and then some. Last year, however, was a different story. I bought the car in February with decent but not great all-season tires. I hoped to get through the remaining winter on them before replacing with PS2s. One weekend we were up north skiing and a few fresh inches fell. I was reminded of the old adage: it's not whether you can go in snow, but whether you can *stop*. While attempting to come to a stop from 20 mph down a slight snow-covered incline, the ABS was activating furiously as I slid right through a stop sign into the main road. Thank god there was no oncoming, otherwise my time with driving that vehicle (and who knows what else) would have been short indeed. Those tires were fine when my foot was on the gas; total unknowns when hitting the brakes.

Admittedly I was getting a little ahead of myself (and the season) by taking the Pcar out for the weekend. I did enjoy covering the 90 miles *up* to Portland in about 65-70 minutes though, open roads, dry pavement and top down all the way :-) And I'm thrilled she;s back in the garage, none the worse for the wear.

Gene
I live right near you and I was tempted to drive the C2S around that weekend. The forcast changed around noon on Sunday, that gave me the heads up:-)

My rule of thumb is if it has rained enough to wash the sand off the road is when i go out. Like tomorrow will be good, cold and clean:-)

Glad you made it back safely and she sits in the garage.
Old 03-11-2009 | 10:18 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i drove my RS 60 to work one nice October morning last year, and by lunch we had a freak storm that dumped a couple of inches.

here is a pic of what i had to go through to get home for lunch. a feather foot on the peddle was needed to keep things in line but srcreaming down the long driveway was fun!
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2009 | 06:02 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Glad to see you and car made it home in one piece. I don't care what they say our 997's are not snow machines. Maybe a C4 with Blizzaks, but that's as fare as I would go. I'm sure next time you'll take the Benz 4-Matic. My buddy has one too and it's great in the snow. I have 2 snow machines, a Grand Cherokee with Hemi power, and a Ram3500 with Cummins power. They both go through snow very well especially the Ram pick-up. That thing is so heavy you barely know there's snow on the ground. My 997 stays home in it's heated garage during the winter.
Old 03-11-2009 | 09:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
At least I was only called out once on my poor planning for being in Maine in March and not anticipating some snowfall (thanks Minok). But then, it was in the 50-60s all weekend, and nothing snowy was forecast for Monday. Plus, if you had had the chance to stay one more night with the company I had, you would have risked it :-) And it definitely turned out to be a risk.
And you passed on a perfect excuse to stay the next night as well ?? .. I mean we all love driving our cars, but....

Quick Reply: Why Porsche and winter don't mix