Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Rear End under hard shifting........

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009 | 12:04 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agdamis
It has nothing to do with tires or wheels. The 2005s had a bushing issue. The lower a-arm bushings (terminology?) had are not solid rubber they have an hour glass shape. According to a race shop I emailed in Germany I found out that the hour glass shape has to be turned 90 degrees. This can be done at your mechanic. The solution the dealer will suggest and may be easier is to replace these bushings with those from a later model.

I had the same sensation and it is very annoying, but oddly enough I never sensed it on the track, thus I left it.

Also Porsche does not view it as an "official defect" so you can argue until you are blue in the face the dealer will not fix it for free. I will try to dig up the emails from the Germans and send it to you.
That's how I remember the explanation as well.

Andreas
Old 03-09-2009 | 12:24 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

I found the notes from the previous post on this. I have attached below what the Manthey racing had sent me. A few others had responded with concerns on the issue. If you search under threads I have started on the 997 forum you can find the one called 2005 rear end wiggle and read through the post. I have not fixed the issue yet although I do intend to get to it this year. Again though I do not remember it being a real issue on the track, which I found odd.

The Manthey racing guys are extremely friendly and responsive should you want to revisit the question with them.

Per the guys at Manthey word for word:

1) Answer to my "how to" question

Hello Athanasios,

the bushings in the lower arms (where the trailing arm is connected) have to come off. Then you have to turn it 90° and bring it in again. So the power of the trailing arm can´t move the bushing so much. That´s the easiest way to make it stiffer.
For more information about our products have a look to www.manthey-motors.de

2) answer to my alignment question

that won´t affect the alignment so much, because the Fixing Point is still in the center. But is better to check it after doing that because you have to remove the Lower Arms for to turn the Bushings.

3) He also said it should be easy and self explanatory to do and it does not matter which way you turn the bushing clockwise or counter just have to turn 90 degrees.

Hope this helps.

If anyone has the detailed write up, that they could post it would be great.
Old 03-09-2009 | 01:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry that I had not noticed your car is an 05. The bushing issue supposedly was resolved with owners taking their cars into their service centers for correction--but that didn't happen to them all apparently!
Old 03-09-2009 | 11:04 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Or some of us got lucky and didn't have this problem... ;-)

Quick Reply: Loose Rear End under hard shifting........