Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 ~ Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009 | 11:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?

If you want more out of life; including a better overall experience in car ownership- the Porsche takes it.
Have you actually owned a corvette, or are you just reading straight from the "how to sell a porsche" sales guide?
Old 02-28-2009 | 12:32 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

I had a 1995 and a 2003 Corvette. I test drove a C6 just before I bought my first Porsche (2002 996). I am now a 997 owner. What I liked about the C6 was the power, for sure. But what could not stand anymore was that removeable roof panel. It always rattled in my 2003 vette. Also, did not like the interior in the C6 corvette at all. I also found that Corvettes are a real handful at the limit. I mean they have a tendancy to have the rear end step out to the point of, oh **** I almost side swiped that car I just passed going around a corner side ways. In the end a 911 is just a great all around sports car. I really enjoy the build quality, styling, and handling of my 997. Without a doubt Porsche makes the best sports car money can buy in the 911. It took me 2 Corvettes to figure that out.
Old 02-28-2009 | 02:01 AM
westlaker
Instructor

I had a C5 convertible and it was a lot of fun here in SoCal. I do enjoy the 911 much more though in every way. Driving is more fun. Styling is better. Quality is much better. Ride is better. Road noise is better. Of course, the car cost twice as much so it should be better. I lusted for a 996 the whole time I had the Vette though.
Old 02-28-2009 | 09:52 AM
lgascoig
Racer

Originally Posted by elh0102
I have owned both a 997S and a C6 ZO6. I don't know which is more frustrating, the ZO6 owner who seeks only to humiliate others with his car's performance (which is very formidable) or, the Porsche owner who dismisses the ZO6 for lacking an acceptable level of snob appeal. It seems neither group will ever learn, their fun does not have to be at the expense of others. Fortunately, there are a good many legitimate car enthusiasts in both camps.
I considered the Z06 and tried one out when I was deciding what to get. For me it had a couple issues.

It has less headroom than the 911 and being a tall guy at 6'4" (34" inseam, so I am long torso'd) my head was hitting the top of the roof. That pretty much killed it for me.

Aside from that I don't think I would have picked it over the 911 anyway but I am certainly not a Corvette hater. If they ever make a car I can sit in, my dream vacation would be to fly over to see the Kentucky Derby; take delivery of a new Corvette from the factory and then drive it home.
Old 02-28-2009 | 02:26 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

I am on corvetteforum.com occasionally. Below is a picture of my avatar from over there. I can tell you from personal experience that there a a lot of Corvette owners who dislike any car that is not built in the "good 'ol USA", especially Porsches, which they consider to be "souped up VW beetles". I get flamed a lot.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2009 | 02:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I am on corvetteforum.com occasionally. Below is a picture of my avatar from over there. I can tell you from personal experience that there a a lot of Corvette owners who dislike any car that is not built in the "good 'ol USA", especially Porsches, which they consider to be "souped up VW beetles". I get flamed a lot.
Might be asking for it with that avatar, plate, etc.

Especially considering that a Z06 would dress down your 997 like it owed the vette money.
Old 02-28-2009 | 02:54 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Might be asking for it with that avatar, plate, etc.

Especially considering that a Z06 would dress down your 997 like it owed the vette money.
Yeah no doubt. I normally stay on the base C6 general discussion forum. A base C6 is just about exactly as quick as a 997 S. According to Road & Track the '08 C6 and the '08 997 S both did the 1/4 mile in 12.6 sec. I test drove a C6 before I bought my 997 S. I didn't drive it hard enough to see how it handles at the limits but it still felt strange. The hood is really long and it seems a lot bigger than the Porsche, but it isn't.
Old 03-01-2009 | 12:04 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpcourt
OR BOTH
Thanks for rubbing it in you lucky bugger.

BTW - I couldn't agree more about the seats. The only thing that I honestly think GM should be ashamed of with the current C6 is the simply awful seats. Especially since you get same crap seats in the base C6, the Z06 and even the stunning ZR1.
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:28 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Thanks for rubbing it in you lucky bugger.

BTW - I couldn't agree more about the seats. The only thing that I honestly think GM should be ashamed of with the current C6 is the simply awful seats. Especially since you get same crap seats in the base C6, the Z06 and even the stunning ZR1.

The seats have been more of a problem in model years 2008 and up. In an effort to save $$$$, the supplier reduced the density of the foam in the bolsters to the point that the metal frame can be felt by those of us who are built like real men.

Quick Reply: 997 ~ Z06