Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm losing my MIND! Need to turn to my RL peeps for advice! (Car advice :D)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
honda accord and a house!
+1

I realized after years of having a car payment that I was paying $$$ monthly for something I that I really didn't want. The only vehicle I ever considered to more than transportation was a 911. Nothing else lit my fire.

I finally bought the Honda and bought a 911 for a summer daily driver. It's nice not having a car payment on a car that isn't something I desire, it's just something to get me from point A to point B.

It is an unbelievable time to buy a house-I just bought 2 more. Focus on that and 5 years from now you'll be loving life even though your wife will have cut you off by then.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
OneManTX
Pro

prenup

But I mean that in the nicest way, and agreeing with previous posters that you don't need stress over paying for a car that's a reach adding to the challenges of marriage, kids, etc.

Maybe Pop-in-Law-to-be throws in a 370Z as a wedding gift. Dowry, anyone?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
996?
lol- I'm a 997 *****.......

Originally Posted by KBS911
Nothing wrong with riding for the brand. How about a CLK. Looks like you can get into a new lease for $359 a month with 5K down according to the MB website. Good looking car, back seat, and you stick with a Benz.
I can get a clk350 for that payment with zero out of pocket via dealer employee pricing......

No clk fer me mang. buuut thanks!

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
honda accord and a house!
I can buy a house for less then honda accord here in cleveland. - though it might have drive by shooting holes and a few crack dealers. But eh, who cares, right? Embrace all neighbors I say!

Originally Posted by Golden
I'm with p-cardriver - get a nice 996!
see above!

Originally Posted by MLindgren
+1

I realized after years of having a car payment that I was paying $$$ monthly for something I that I really didn't want. The only vehicle I ever considered to more than transportation was a 911. Nothing else lit my fire.

I finally bought the Honda and bought a 911 for a summer daily driver. It's nice not having a car payment on a car that isn't something I desire, it's just something to get me from point A to point B.

It is an unbelievable time to buy a house-I just bought 2 more. Focus on that and 5 years from now you'll be loving life even though your wife will have cut you off by then.
Good advice myfriend. I've even toyed with the idea of just getting another used RC51 for my addrenaline toy. Much more economical then a fast car......

*sigh* why can't it be 2006/07 all over again? ($$ wise lol)

Originally Posted by OneManTX
prenup

But I mean that in the nicest way, and agreeing with previous posters that you don't need stress over paying for a car that's a reach adding to the challenges of marriage, kids, etc.

Maybe Pop-in-Law-to-be throws in a 370Z as a wedding gift. Dowry, anyone?
You have a GREAT mind!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get a CPO Cayman S. I know retail is in the low 40s now, so you should be able to get it in the mid 30s. Same price as a 370Z, way more interesting/fun/etc., good for your clients to see, etc. Slap some winters on there and it'll be fine in the white stuff.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

get the beemer...no disrespect meant, but a SLK is a chick car....
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I drive by my dealer all the time and see the sales guys park their cars in front of the Safeway next door. I only see one boxster parked there regularly, a 335i sedan, an older 7 series, and pilot. I guess you have to sell ALOT of cars to drive a 997 which really makes the car that much more special to have.

Smart thing to do would be to get a Civic and save for your home but it's tough to be rational when you're young. Too bad you're not a cayman/boxster guy. MB needs to improve the interior quality of their c-class. I like the 335 route too but what about taking advantage of your situation. You lease a glk from your dealer, and the 370z her father's dealer. When you have the multi car option, each one can have it's own niche and you get to enjoy each one for what it is.

Are you a cayenne guy?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
jlinmd
Racer

I like the 335 route too but what about taking advantage of your situation. You lease a glk from your dealer, and the 370z her father's dealer. When you have the multi car option, each one can have it's own niche and you get to enjoy each one for what it is.
That's what I'm sayin' DOooooooooooooo ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
DanJK
Racer

I guess I can't imagine being a sales manager for Benz and not having a Benz as a dd. If I owned the dealer and saw one of my managers driving a BMW, I'd be a little torqued. Its not like its a price decision, like buying a Honda instead of the Mercedes. For ME, it would be a business decision.

But maybe that kind of brand loyalty is not expected in your business.

I had a buddy who was an executive at UPS. I would send him a Fed Ex once in a while and he would flip out. If his bosses saw the Fed Ex he heard about it.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I drive by my dealer all the time and see the sales guys park their cars in front of the Safeway next door. I only see one boxster parked there regularly, a 335i sedan, an older 7 series, and pilot. I guess you have to sell ALOT of cars to drive a 997 which really makes the car that much more special to have.

Smart thing to do would be to get a Civic and save for your home but it's tough to be rational when you're young. Too bad you're not a cayman/boxster guy. MB needs to improve the interior quality of their c-class. I like the 335 route too but what about taking advantage of your situation. You lease a glk from your dealer, and the 370z her father's dealer. When you have the multi car option, each one can have it's own niche and you get to enjoy each one for what it is.

Are you a cayenne guy?
If it was 'all about' saving money I'd just lease a C300 4 magic for the cost of a civic. But I get what you're saying.

Yes. I am a Cayenne Guy- a Cayenne GTS with a manual transmission please!

Originally Posted by jlinmd
That's what I'm sayin' DOooooooooooooo ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
Quiet you! lol

Originally Posted by DanJK
I guess I can't imagine being a sales manager for Benz and not having a Benz as a dd. If I owned the dealer and saw one of my managers driving a BMW, I'd be a little torqued. Its not like its a price decision, like buying a Honda instead of the Mercedes. For ME, it would be a business decision.

But maybe that kind of brand loyalty is not expected in your business.

I had a buddy who was an executive at UPS. I would send him a Fed Ex once in a while and he would flip out. If his bosses saw the Fed Ex he heard about it.
Dan, you're a sick sick man! lol

I think my Boss knows where my loyalty lies. 7 years and being one of his top guys, I think I've earned the right to buy what I want. It might torque him but as long as he keeps cashing in my sales...."I'm sorry, did you say something?" lol

Would I get crap? Sure. Would I really care? Nope. I love the products I sell. Minus SAAB. We have it as a product; but I can't deal with those clients. LMAO-

And you think Volvo people are weird.........man o man..........
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
DanJK
Racer

I get what your saying. You have earned that level of respect from your bosses.

But to me, nothing says "I'm all in" to the bosses like buying what you sell. It's putting your own money where your mouth is.

Isn't it also important from a customer perspective? If your customers see you ride up in a 3 series, aren't you just saying, there are better options? Like I said, if it were a Honda Civic - your just saying I'm not quite there yet - but the BMW? Their your DIRECT competitor. Not sure how I could explain that one away if a potential customer asked me what I drive.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by DanJK
I get what your saying. You have earned that level of respect from your bosses.

But to me, nothing says "I'm all in" to the bosses like buying what you sell. It's putting your own money where your mouth is.

Isn't it also important from a customer perspective? If your customers see you ride up in a 3 series, aren't you just saying, there are better options? Like I said, if it were a Honda Civic - your just saying I'm not quite there yet - but the BMW? Their your DIRECT competitor. Not sure how I could explain that one away if a potential customer asked me what I drive.
I know. It's not off the table going back into a Benz. Not by a long shot.

I thought this was funny-

I inquired about a local M5; and asked if it was a CPO car- This is the response I got back from the Used Car Manager-

There was no reason to certify the car in my opinion since there weren’t any available rates for it. I can have service certify it. It needs nothing other than the 200 checkout and the 2800 cost to cert it. The car has a clean car fax and to the best of my know ledge since it was sold here new has no damage. As far as needing a bunch of stuff it would all be under warranty at this point.

Only an idiot would actually believe the person considering a CPO M5 would only do so ONLY if it has 'special rates' on the car.

Man o man.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Yes. I am a Cayenne Guy- a Cayenne GTS with a manual transmission please!
it's gotta be a hoot driving that beast with a mt. i must try one day.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Congrats on the impending nuptials!

I would humbly suggest that you may find many, many more expenses in the near future.

Less obligation on the car will serve you well.

I would suggest a VW GTI. I drive one daily and prefer it to the 997. Really.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

too bad you're not a boxster guy, as it will be more fun than the 370z and 335i.

M5 doesn't make sense as it should cost about the same as 997.

if budget is the main priority, then buy out the current E class is the way to go.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stoppie...the engagement and inevitable marriage will be the most expensive purchase you ever make in your life.! Good luck with that!!!

Seriously though, in this economy you're debating a BMW, MB or a Porsche? You're a lucky, lucky guy.

Personally, I love my E Class, but I also have a 997. I've been lusting after a RS Clone or some such lightly restored, lighter weight, kickass 911 DD, which could be had way under your budget with an incredible fun factor.

I can't see the BMW based on your position, and once you went E, you can't go C.

So, it's E, 911, 993 or 996 from my perspective. Good driving!

Quick Reply: I'm losing my MIND! Need to turn to my RL peeps for advice! (Car advice :D)