Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bose or Not to Bose

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bose is mid-fi at best...with stock a step down from that...

Still if Levinson provides it services to Lexus, why not MBL for Porsche? (http://www.mbl-usa.com/ )

Regardless the best sound system in a Porsche sits behind the driver...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Bose. The stock is not good at all and to install an aftermarket system is a pain. My 996 had a stock and sucked royally. My 997 has the Bose and its okay.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not an audiophile but I think the Bose system does sound better than the stock system and I do think it will help at resale time.

Having said all of that, I rarely use the stereo for anything other than traffic because frankly the big flat 6 behind me sounds better to me when I'm driving the P car than just about anything else.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

In general, cars, especially sports cars, are a rather hostile environment for getting great (subjective) sound. Too many other noises going on in and around the car; road/tire noise, the sound of the engine and exhaust, while sweet, still interferes with the audio system sound.

The different materials used in the interiors, hard plastic, soft carpet, alcantara, and leather all absorb/reflect sound differently. Add to that the numerous angled surfaces and it becomes an audio tuner's nightmare.

I liked the Bose in my 996, but you do have to play with the balance settings to fit your preferences. Was it an audiophile's dream? No, far from it. But it was serviceable, and I have heard much worse in "quieter" cars. My wife's MB CLK had a Harmon Kardon system, which did not sound as good as the Bose in the 996.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the sound of the bose, it does the job. I think that it is an option that will help you sell the car a little quicker down the road. Adding a aftermarket system would definitely be a better system, but can create other issues with the cars functions.

I say buy it, and turn it off and listen the sound of the exhaust.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been living without Bose for the past two years. My other cars have had decent audio (Bose in a MB C320 and a nice Alpine custom set up in a Miata). The audio system is mediocre overall. I know what a good audio set up can sound like, and it's nothing close. -However, I don't care. It doesn't bother me. I don't miss it. I didn't think it was worth the added expense. I enjoy my MP3 CDs and NPR.

It's your money, your ears, your car...don't sweat it.

J
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
mstams
Racer

I got it, but I just like buying options.

Sounds good to me.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Bose is better than stock. If you like listening to music - especially loud music - from time to time, it's the better option and, if money isn't the issue, you should get it. If you're more into talk radio or NPR and the sound of the engine itself, and you're trying to save money on options or spend it on other options, probably not worth it. I'm in the former camp, so I got it and am happy I did. I've certainly heard better car audio, but it's not bad.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Take the $1200 Porsche charges for the Bose system and donate it to your local school's music program. That way you'll be doing a better service to music.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

The Bose is definitely not a great sounding system; but it is workable and can be made to sound decent. I have never heard the non-optioned system and do not know anyone who has one so I cannot compare. The Bose is a small percentage of the purchase price and prob keeps options broader at re-sale time. I have it and would get it again. That said, it is clear from the responses that most of us do not 'listen to the radio' when driving these cars
Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

I got the Bose system. It doesn't sound that great. I almost never listen to it. I wish I had spent the money on something else, like a short shift kit or some more interior leather bits.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
As I mentioned, you cannot compare side-by-side without adjusting levels in the base system. It's like the old "Loudness" button we used to have on car stereos - where all it did was boost the bass and make you think it sounded "better" (hey, sounds just like Sport Chrono with the phony throttle pedal mapping).
If you think it sounds better, then isn't that by definition, the case that 'it sounds better to you' and thus 'better' for you? Whether its accurate or not is not the point.

(and what is 'phony' about the throttle mapping? It does does remap the throttle... nothing phony about that)

That said, to do a valid comparison, someone would have to set up 2 identical cars with the only the audio systems being different (that is, otherwise, identical interiors and bodies) and set them to sound similar, say set the stock audio system to sound close to what the Bose does at default settings. Then put random people in them, blindfolded, and have them listen to a selection of different songs first in one then the other car, and have them evaluate which they liked better (if any) and why.

You cannot possibly do an objective analysis if 1) You can see one has Bose and the other doesn't .. because it brings a bunch of prejudice with it and colors your view before you even start the experiment and 2) If you use specific subsets of people which may be biased to a particular color of sound or listening environment.

Its an individual choice. Bring your favorite CD - one you have listened to at home on your audio system, and with headphones, so you know what it should sound like to you, and then play it in a car with both systems (listen for several minutes) and then compare. What sounds better to you may not sound better to someone else. That is your best bet for evaluating the value for you. You'll still be clouded by knowing which car has the Bose system in it, but its your best bet to evaluate.

All I can say is I have the stock system and to me it sounds just fine.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I am satisfied with the stock system on my RS. I don't think BOSE was an option anyway. I would not pay for BOSE, but I am not an audiophile either.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

With the standard RS stereo now mentioned, we're discussing 5 different audio systems here; both the standard and Bose systems are changed with the 997.2 facelift, and the standard RS has less of a system than the first generation 997C2.

That said, the base system in my 2005 C2 was adequate, so I didn't opt for Bose in my 2009 order. I've also rediscovered the aftermarket...I hadn't done any stereo upgrades since high school, but after spending only $500 on some speakers in another car to improve some dismal sound, it's now better than any of the Bose or harmon/kardon systems I've had in new cars recently.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
vitman
Rennlist Member

The Bose is not great, but the stock is so bad that the Bose is needed to have decent sound. Considering the road noise, the Bose probably makes more sense and is less expensive than a high-end aftermarket system. PSE is the best sound of all.

Quick Reply: To Bose or Not to Bose