Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM and the beauty of forum searches.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default XM and the beauty of forum searches.

One of the wonderfully annoying assumptions the form software makes is that anything that is 2 character words is not worth searching for, so I cannot search for posts with "XM" in them.... so.......

Whats the best subscription rate one might be able to obtain on basic XM service with NavTraffic. My 3 mos free is about to expire and I'm wondering if I should just buy the basic rate ($17 for music+navtraffic) on a monthly basis or is there a better, unpublished rate that one could leverage?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
One of the wonderfully annoying assumptions the form software makes is that anything that is 2 character words is not worth searching for, so I cannot search for posts with "XM" in them.... so.......

Whats the best subscription rate one might be able to obtain on basic XM service with NavTraffic. My 3 mos free is about to expire and I'm wondering if I should just buy the basic rate ($17 for music+navtraffic) on a monthly basis or is there a better, unpublished rate that one could leverage?
Search xmradio (one word) you'll get some hits. Also, whatever you do don't give them your credit card - ask for a paper invoice.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Minok -
You need to read this post on Slickdeals. Might help you.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...uid=0&t=930299
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont do it. i just spent 25 minutes canceling.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I had 3 free months of XM radio when I bought my current car. I never tried it because I was not going to subscribe once the free trial period ended. Now I am stuck with that damn "mini shark fin" on my car that is totally useless.

At least Porsche hasn't begun to force you to have the "mini shark fin"..... yet!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well the navtraffic service is very usefull to have, in the Seattle area at least. That and being able to listen to The Boneyard for my music fix without the commercial yapping is probably worth the $14/mo subscription.

No worries, I know not to sign up with a credit card.. I'll just pay monthly bills and if i don't want it any more, all I do is tell them I quit and stop sending in payments.

My goal is just to make sure I'm not leaving money on the table here.

I'll see what they say about a billed yearly subscription discount, but if anything requires a CC, its a non-starter.
I'm OK risking $80-120 on a yearly subscription where the company may not survive to the end of the year... I could consume that much in coffee in a 3 month period.
Going through the trouble of calling India and haggling for a mear $30 or so annual savings.... not worth my time.

Sounds like the thing to do is just wait and see how the merger / economy affects things. They have a lot of expensive satellites in orbit and debt to pay off... it could all go the way of the satellite cell phone company as well.

Last edited by Minok; 02-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Another Don
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For whatever bizarre and perverse reasons, I actually enjoy XM. Between my cars, the wifely-unit's car, kids' cars and my office, I've got about 6 of those radioes with their subscriptions. Only the wifely-unit's Acura has the NavTraffic and I've never been able to get a deal on it. The other 5 have alternated between being on a "Family Plan" where additional radios are $6.95/mo. or a $77/year special.

Last month I had a new headunit with XM installed in my new (to me) Targa. When I called to activate a subscription, at first they told me that I couldn't add this radio to my family plan since I had maxxed out the number of radios there. So, I told them to forget about it, because I wasn't going to pay their $14/mo for this radio. They came back and told me that they could get me the $77/yr rate for this radio and I said "OK'. Can someone explain to me the marketing strategy which would turn down $6.95/mo. ($83.40/yr) and then turn around and offer $77/yr to the same customer?

In the past the magic words to get the $77/yr rate were "Cancel my account". But, again, this only applies to the regular XM subscriptions NOT including the NAVTraffic. I've been sort of unimpressed with the NAVTraffic in the wifely-unit's car and am thinking of just getting the regular subscription for her this Spring when it's renewal time.

Also, they sent me an email earlier this week encouraging me to renew my subscriptions early...before March 10...as they are jacking up their rates. Aren't mergers to create monopolies great.

Quick Reply: XM and the beauty of forum searches.