Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding air to tires - how much and do I trust what TPMS says?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
skier8dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I got to say is that I glad I don't TPMS. Seems like it can't be trusted other then to let you know you have a flat tire.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Did you find in using your gauge that the differntial from the recommended pressure for the wheel and what the pressure read at the gauge before adjusting, matched with the differentials reported by the TPMS on its differential screen (the absolute numbers page is never intended to use for adjusting any pressures) ?
I found a correlation, but not a strictly accurate one. IMO, TPMS is a gross measurement, good enough for what I need while motoring. If you drive long distances in your 997, which has no spare, it's quite a worthwhile system.

I got my acronym wrong before. TPMS, not PSM!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what was in the manuals prior to 2009, but as I've only got the 2009, I'm somewhat amused at the lamenting and hammering of the TPMS system for giving bad pressure readings. The 09 manual clearly states that one should not use the pressure readings on the display for any refilling of tires, they are for approximate informational purpose only. To have folks then say they don't trust the readings just repeats what the 09 Porsche manual is telling me already - the pressure readings are not to be trusted.

What I was after is not if the pressure reading is to be trusted, but if the differential/offset reading is to be trusted. It may be the same issue.. I'll find out this weekend when I bleed off a few pounds of air to match the sticker values.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what was in the manuals prior to 2009, but as I've only got the 2009, I'm somewhat amused at the lamenting and hammering of the TPMS system for giving bad pressure readings. The 09 manual clearly states that one should not use the pressure readings on the display for any refilling of tires, they are for approximate informational purpose only. To have folks then say they don't trust the readings just repeats what the 09 Porsche manual is telling me already - the pressure readings are not to be trusted.

What I was after is not if the pressure reading is to be trusted, but if the differential/offset reading is to be trusted. It may be the same issue.. I'll find out this weekend when I bleed off a few pounds of air to match the sticker values.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Minok ...

From what I see the differential is not to be trusted either. I've never had the TPMS show the same/same pressures ANYTIME in my ownership ... which is only a week (400 miles).

For example, I may start out from the garage with 27/33 F and 34/37 R showing on the TPMS. After driving a while at below freezing temps ... the TPMS does show that the pressures increase. But, they seldom are the same/same.

And, as I wrote above, I spec'd the tire pressures out and they were what the door sticker recommends (one tire was 1 elb low). But, the TPMS was indicating lower pressures than my gauge was reading and the TPMS was not showing pressures that were the same from Ft/Ft or Rr/Rr.

Soooooo .... I'm not sure what the function of the TPMS is. I'll prolly know if I have a flat sneaker and if the pressure sensors are not accurate, then they are just expensive doo-dads of little use IMO.

Quick Reply: Adding air to tires - how much and do I trust what TPMS says?