Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to store your sunglasses (and who designed the Targa sun visor?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Where to store your sunglasses (and who designed the Targa sun visor?)

So where are good places to keep your sunglasses in a 997 (.2 if it matters)? Now that winter is letting the sun sneak back in I need to bust out the shades and am looking for a place to put them when not on my face. In the door bin is an option, but its hard to get them out when driving in the 'jet fighter cockpit'. Clip on the sun visor? Just curious where others are keeping their shades.

And what is up with the 2009 Targa sun visors? I understand the roof and A-Pillar design is different from the coupe but is it so much different that they could not design a proper sun visor that covers all the way accross the windscreen area (with maybe pull out side parts) or at least swings out sideways to cover the door window?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
So where are good places to keep your sunglasses in a 997 (.2 if it matters)? Now that winter is letting the sun sneak back in I need to bust out the shades and am looking for a place to put them when not on my face. In the door bin is an option, but its hard to get them out when driving in the 'jet fighter cockpit'. Clip on the sun visor? Just curious where others are keeping their shades.
And what is up with the 2009 Targa sun visors? I understand the roof and A-Pillar design is different from the coupe but is it so much different that they could not design a proper sun visor that covers all the way accross the windscreen area (with maybe pull out side parts) or at least swings out sideways to cover the door window?
I keep my sunglasses in the driver's side door bin.
I find it to be very handy.
Mr. B
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I keep mine in the little cubby under the a/c controls. I used to use a visor clip, but those kept breaking and getting in the way whenever I tilted my seat forward.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm storing the shades for an extended period, then I keep them in its case in the door pocket. If not, and I want them out of sight, then I keep them in the rear center console bin. If I don't care about them being out of sight, then I place them right around the S/C clock on the dash. With the arms unfolded, the shades wrap the wart perfectly!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sun visors? We don't need no stinkin sun visors (they're too small anyway).
Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around the wart
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
rebe1
Racer

I put both my sunglasses in my rear center console bin for storage, or around the wart when I'm using the sunglasses and need them off for a little bit.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
around the wart
That's a good idea.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
If I'm storing the shades for an extended period, then I keep them in its case in the door pocket. If not, and I want them out of sight, then I keep them in the rear center console bin. If I don't care about them being out of sight, then I place them right around the S/C clock on the dash. With the arms unfolded, the shades wrap the wart perfectly!
I do exactly the same thing.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a clip on my sunvisor and find it most handy for the sunglasses. The 07 and 08 Targas also have the non-rotating sun visors. I believe it must be due to the limits imposed by the plastic shrouding and frame design for the sunroof not allowing a hinged mount on the one end.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Small visors indeed. I think they could get rotating sun visors if they wanted to spend a little on some industrial design engineers to figure out a cool multi-hinged thing. Put the guys that designed the cup holders on it. If they come up with a retrofit solution, I'm all over it.

In the mean time, sunglasses it is... the small cubby under the hvac controls seems ideal.. not much else fits in there. I'm loathed to use the door bin... because of the other stuff rattling around in there (cell phone charger cables, life-hammer, chem lights, etc. Yeah, a veritable bin-o-stuff. Loving that solid lid on top! The rear center console bin is all full of iPod... thought I do like that wrapped around the chronometer idea...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a huge pair of Maui Jims and I keep them in a case in the center console. It eats up almost all the space in there but I keep my wallet and cell phone in the door anyway.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

What in the hell is a wart?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
What in the hell is a wart?
Wart = the Sport Chrono timer on top of the dash. Many don't like the "wart."
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Sadiq
Pro

cubby

Quick Reply: Where to store your sunglasses (and who designed the Targa sun visor?)