Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche reports January Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default hmmmm retro reflector worked?.....

Too funny, the one area Porsche went back to its roots on a style'ing Q that worked was in the C4S....where they tossed on a red reflector (to thin, even messed that up IMO) and what a surprise thats the car that hung in there the best..... Not the main reason but I do believe a factor....in sales comparing the 2 years the C4S did the best keeping up. The 997.2 is technically ahead of the 997.1 we all know that but in the looks department (what sells) they took a step back in the v2. Just a small point impacting these numbers I know, but just a comment on one area.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Some dealers tell me they'll discount 8%, others say 15% -- I don't think either number reflects a sincere capitulation to these monthly and recent quarterly results.

It's nice to get a 10 - 15% discount, as long as you don't have a car to trade-in which may bring in 20% less than it did six months ago. I have a friend who bought a 2008 RS4 for around $80K. The car is in perfect condition with 7K miles. The Dealer offered him $49K on a tarde-in on a 997 which was being sold near invoice. As nice as the discount was on the 997, it was easily offset by the price offered for the RS4. I think most of us will face a similar scenario when we go to buy a new car.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

you would really want to have a cayman to pass up deals on 997's and 996's now. i went into a dealer last week and somehow got to talking about a trade-in. trade in on my 4k mile 08 cayman which originally stickered for $60k was $35k. ouch! that's what they agreed to buy it back for 2.5yrs and 25k miles later on my lease.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
And if I WAS in charge of Porsche; I'd kill the Cayman, and just offer a Cayman S. I'd price it BETWEEN the Boxster and Boxster S.

I think THEN it would be a decent seller and hold it's value better.
Porsche should LISTEN to you. That is what I always felt. When I was shopping for my current car, I was deciding between a '02 996 Cab (then 2 years old) or a new Boxster S 550 Anniv. I decided on the Boxster Special Edition. But if I wasn't looking for a drop top, I would have gone for another 911 for sure.

When the Cayman came out, I didn't understand why it cost more than the cab. (Boxster). If I ever get a non cab. P car, it will definitely be a 911, I don't care what the price of the Cayman is.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
you would really want to have a cayman to pass up deals on 997's and 996's now. i went into a dealer last week and somehow got to talking about a trade-in. trade in on my 4k mile 08 cayman which originally stickered for $60k was $35k. ouch! that's what they agreed to buy it back for 2.5yrs and 25k miles later on my lease.
I've read horror stories about Cayman trade-in prices when the economy was flourishing, so I'm not surprised to read about a $35K offer now. I've had the pleasure of driving a Cayman S on several occassions, and it was one of the best handling cars that I've had the pleasure of driving, although a tad underpowered. Apparently the market for the Cayman is really small, and that's why its trade-in price is so poor.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Porsche should LISTEN to you. That is what I always felt. When I was shopping for my current car, I was deciding between a '02 996 Cab (then 2 years old) or a new Boxster S 550 Anniv. I decided on the Boxster Special Edition. But if I wasn't looking for a drop top, I would have gone for another 911 for sure.

When the Cayman came out, I didn't understand why it cost more than the cab. (Boxster). If I ever get a non cab. P car, it will definitely be a 911, I don't care what the price of the Cayman is.
Originally Posted by fast1
I've read horror stories about Cayman trade-in prices when the economy was flourishing, so I'm not surprised to read about a $35K offer now. I've had the pleasure of driving a Cayman S on several occassions, and it was one of the best handling cars that I've had the pleasure of driving, although a tad underpowered. Apparently the market for the Cayman is really small, and that's why its trade-in price is so poor.

Coming from the Autoshow and speaking to the Porsche REP; they really are trying to feed us some bizarre kool-aid.

They are seriously over estimating (again) the LACK of buyers for the Cayman. When positioned less then a Cayman/Cayman S- the Boxster is the Better deal. If you buy a CAyman you are buying the looks. And with regards to performance- the buyer whom Porsche is trying to attract doesn't care about it as much as they would hope for.

The clients who really WANT the cayman; can't afford it in this economy. Those who can see more value in the Boxster.

And those are in the position to buy; are buying CPO 997's and or new 997's.

It's about the value. A percieved value. And knowing your clients and buying traits.

I think Porsche doesn't want to loose face here on that fact.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
And if I WAS in charge of Porsche; I'd kill the Cayman, and just offer a Cayman S. I'd price it BETWEEN the Boxster and Boxster S.

I think THEN it would be a decent seller and hold it's value better.
If I was in charge of Porsche, I would develop the Cayman up-line as a GT class car only; to compete with the F430 in the GT2 class. It would be a stripper racing machine, fully developed. It would also be the face of the GT racing program. It would be priced over the 'base' 911 class (at the present GT class price point) but developed fully to that price point. I would sell the 911 as the grand tourer it was intended to be: Equally adept at taking the wife to a great restaurant as spending a day with the boys at the track (just not the head of the class - as that is rapidly becoming a fiction). I would leave the Boxster to cover the present price point. My 0.02 cents, soon to be inflated to nothing..

Last edited by cello; 03-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche reports January Sales