Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti freeze and windows with a mind of their own.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti freeze and windows with a mind of their own.

A friend of mine had his 996 C4 cab in for service at a local dealer.
He questioned how often to change/flush anti freeze. They told him they never do unless doing other service work where it is required.

They just top it off if needed. Any thoughts?

He also has a problem wtih his windows. They now go half way down when opening door rather then the 1/4 inch increment . Resetting does not solve the problem. Dealer said they had never seen it before and could not fix it.

He does not post here. Just trying to illicit the help of the experienced hands on
board at Rennlist. thanks in advance for any insight on either issue
Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You might getter better response on the 996 forum but the window issue is related to the solenoid. The dealer shoud be able to fix it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Often it depends on the type of anti-freeze used. If it is the orange/pink type, it is generally the "fill-for-life type". I am not sure, however, for your car.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
A friend of mine had his 996 C4 cab in for service at a local dealer.
He questioned how often to change/flush anti freeze. They told him they never do unless doing other service work where it is required.

They just top it off if needed. Any thoughts?
Thats what Porsche recommends on my 2009 997 as well. Unless you need to top off, there is no reason to flush the modern coolant.

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
He also has a problem wtih his windows. They now go half way down when opening door rather then the 1/4 inch increment . Resetting does not solve the problem. Dealer said they had never seen it before and could not fix it.
I would disagree with the dealer... they absolutely CAN fix it, but their problem is they have no idea what they need to fix. However, they should then get on the ball and do some research or call on Porsche for help. All the bits are there.. its either the window position sensors, part of the motor or something that controls the motor (and of those controlling elements there is a limited list).

Quick Reply: anti freeze and windows with a mind of their own.