Sponsored by:

Navigation, CD Changer, Blue Tooth, & Universal Audio in 2009 / 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Navigation, CD Changer, Blue Tooth, & Universal Audio in 2009 / 997.2

I read through my 2009 Technik book and found some interesting information book.

Gone are the separate "heavy" modules in the boot for both navigation and CD Changer. One of the reasons I never liked them is they were big, bulky, heavy, and located in the trunk.

Now, both the CD changer and the Navigation modules are contained within the dash PCM unit. Tiny components and therefore very light. The changer now loads your CDs from the main CD slot as in many other cars. The Navigation is a 40GB hard drive unit.

I've never been a fan of MP3 format because the resolution is typically so much lower than a CD. I don't like the concept of attaching an I-pod to my car for similar reasons. But, the Universal Audio now has 3 connections and one is a USB so you can plug in say a 4 GB memory stick with high-resolution MP3 songs on it and the PCM will control the menus.

So, I updated my 2009 C2S order to include:

Navigation (figure I can deal with 1 lb module)
Blue Tooth (for hands-free, which is the law in CT)
Universal Audio - won't need any CDs now.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you did some good research, Ron. I'm usually not a big CD-changer guy, but if all six feed through the one slot (i.e. no separate, bulky unit), it might be worth it.

Regarding the MP3 conundrum, an interesting tidbit is that my RS4 accepts SD cards (behind the nav screen) to play high-res MP3s. Good stuff...

Can't wait to see your car - you never disappoint us.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good decision!

I have the same in my 2009 C2 and very satisfied with it. The phone syncs flawlessly when I get in the car. The navigation is easy to use and more accurate than the older one. The IPOD kit awsome. No more CD's!
I was leaning toward the M3 before due to negative reviews about the old PCM but I think Porsche did it right this time.

Last edited by gray911; 09-25-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't had much time to play with my new car (2009 C4S with Universal Audio), but I did try plugging in a USB stick from work the other day. It had a few songs I had copied from my PC. They were WMA files saved via Windows Media Player.

The stick was immediately recognized and when I selected the AUX source, switched it to USB, there were all the folders and songs. I don't have an IPOD and was planning to get one just for the new car. But after seeing how the USB sitck worked just fine (and hearing about charging issues for the newer generation units), I think I'll just copy my songs onto it.

I'm not an audiophile and don't really know that much about different music formats. Am I sacrificing anything using this approach?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The only source I use for making i-pod files is a CD with full resolution. I know when you rip a CD you have several choices for how large a file (meaning how good a resolution) you want. I always go highest option, which means I can fit fewer songs - but who really needs thousands of tunes?

So, with the Universal, my plan is to get a 4GP stick and put my favorites at maximum resolution on it - and never have to think about bringing CDs again. When I get a new CD, I'll just add a few tunes to the stick.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

In an automotive cockpit I suspect there is no way that you can exploit the capability of most recordings at peak quality. Save that for your music room.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM
jgolf53
AutoX

Thumbs up my 997.2 PCM rocks!

I am very happy with the PCM interface on my new C4S coupe. I have all the electronic bells & whistles. Blue tooth works great, easy to sync. Navi is really easy and intuitive. Love the iPod interface; easy for music playlists access but cumbersome for podcasts. The touch screen is quite simple for all functions; just a bit distracting when weaving in and out of traffic testing that pdk.

Now for the sound. I have the BOSE upgrade; it is good but not spectacular but I am a serious stereo nut so expectations are high. A bit base heavey and vocals not as clear as they should be...but good overall sound...you can still the hear the engine and the road....which I want...

cheers,
j
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

I've never been a fan of MP3 format because the resolution is typically so much lower than a CD. I don't like the concept of attaching an I-pod to my car for similar reasons.
You can record full CD quality music on an iPod (iTunes) if you wish. However, I challenge you to complain about 256kbps MP3 or AAC recordings or distinguish those from std CDs.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Edgy, you sure can tell in a car the difference between a very low quality / resolution MP3 recording and a full CD version. I don't listen to much in my car normally, only when I'm driving to say Watkins Glen (4.5 hours each way)
Old 01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Edgy, you sure can tell in a car the difference between a very low quality / resolution MP3 recording and a full CD version. I don't listen to much in my car normally, only when I'm driving to say Watkins Glen (4.5 hours each way)
Have you tried a 256kbps MP3? I tend to like piano solos, some of the most difficult sounds to record, and I think that Kissin sounds quite well on a 256kbps MP3, thank you!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I'm not saying anything negative about MP3 format - I'm saying when people take the lowest resolution MP3 and try to compare it with CD.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
jackolo
Advanced

I'm not a big audio guy and I don't really have an ipod so I opted not to get the universal audio feature. What I learnt though is that the 997.2 can play MP3 DVDs! I pretty much just have 6 different arrangements of music and 4.7 gigs of each is enough to keep me busy.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice updates Ron. I'm really impressed with the new PCM compared to the last round. The bluetooth works really well too. You can just use a really small USB thumb drive instead of an ipod too

Quick Reply: Navigation, CD Changer, Blue Tooth, & Universal Audio in 2009 / 997.2