Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalled one day after coming from body shop...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Car stalled one day after coming from body shop...

Had my other car in at a local body shop for suspension damage after a collision with low concrete wall that was about 3 ft high. After a car was repaired, I got the car back, and the engine dies on me the following day.

The body shop is saying that they had nothing to do with the car's electrical system, and that I should take the car to the dealer for a diagnosis.

The body shop's techies try to diagnose the problem, but they couldn't. I don't know if techies at body shop are also mechanics, but they couldn't. But wait, for those cars with major front damage, wouldn't the body shop guys need to know the mechanics of the car's operating system since they would need to put the car back piece by piece?

The body shop is denying that they had anything to do with this. Thank God it wasn't my 997 that had to go through with this. It was a veedub, front-engine.

WTF? What do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Car stalling not necessarily related to body work... could be ....

Originally Posted by JJB236
Had my other car in at a local body shop for suspension damage after a collision with low concrete wall that was about 3 ft high. After a car was repaired, I got the car back, and the engine dies on me the following day.

The body shop is saying that they had nothing to do with the car's electrical system, and that I should take the car to the dealer for a diagnosis.

The body shop's techies try to diagnose the problem, but they couldn't. I don't know if techies at body shop are also mechanics, but they couldn't. But wait, for those cars with major front damage, wouldn't the body shop guys need to know the mechanics of the car's operating system since they would need to put the car back piece by piece?

The body shop is denying that they had anything to do with this. Thank God it wasn't my 997 that had to go through with this. It was a veedub, front-engine.

WTF? What do you guys think?
battery died/ran down while car sitting around. Could be while car being worked on someone left radio/CD player on for some music to drown out the sanders...

How old or new is battery? Is battery same as was in car when you dropped it off for work? Any cells low on fluid? Is the alternator warning light on?

Is serpentine belt present and routed correctly? My VW tossed a serpentine belt when the alternator pulley failed.

Unless you can diagnose the problem best to get car to dealer. Let dealer tell you what's wrong. Might ask dealer to check of power drain normal just in case body shop pinched a wire and there's short that's draining battery.

If dealer finds something amiss that can be blamed on body shop then you might be able to approach body shop and get it to pay for the work... Nah. If you do find something the body shop did caused the problem you'll either have to sue in small claims court or tell body shop it failed to provide you and your car with reasonable care and skill in working on your car and that's consumer fraud and then tell body shop you'll file a consumer fraud complaint against it.

Be sure you have paperwork from dealer that clearly states the cause of stalling problem and that it was caused by incorrect, sloppy repair or reassembly after repair.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Car stalled one day after coming from body shop...