Sponsored by:

transfer of CPO versus balance of factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009 | 04:52 PM
jonezy
Advanced

Default transfer of CPO versus balance of factory warranty

Searched the boards, but didn't find an answer to the follwoing

I have read that CPO is transferalbe via a private party sale, but not by a non-Porsche authorized dealer. Is that accurate? Is it true that a dealer can transfer the balance of a CPO, or if they take in a CPO car, do they have to re-inspect and restart the CPO.

With regard to the balance of an original factory warranty (not a CPO), does a subsequent buyer get the balance even if he buys from a non-Porshe authorized dealer, or a private party?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009 | 05:27 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Try search again on CPO. We just debated this at length a week ago. All the detail is there - if I knew which thread, I'd point you to it. Basically, CPO runs with the VIN, but evaporates if sold through a broker or non-authorized dealer. So if through a Porsche dealer, no problem. OEM warranty always runs with the car, regardless of who buys / sells it.
Old 01-29-2009 | 01:24 AM
jonezy
Advanced

Default Thanks

I will search again, but your synopsis was what i was looking for and is helpful
Old 01-29-2009 | 02:10 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Here is what a Porsche salesman told me last year when I was considering CPO'ing the used Targa I was purchasing:
"Remember, If you got the car CPO'd, the warranty stays with the car if you sell it privately, but it cancels if you trade it in at a Porsche dealer"
Old 01-29-2009 | 09:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RonCT
Try search again on CPO. We just debated this at length a week ago. All the detail is there - if I knew which thread, I'd point you to it. Basically, CPO runs with the VIN, but evaporates if sold through a broker or non-authorized dealer. So if through a Porsche dealer, no problem. OEM warranty always runs with the car, regardless of who buys / sells it.
Ron,

I was thinking the exact same thing, but when I did a search I couldn't find the thread that I believe you and I were both thinking about. Then it hit me. THAT thread was on the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum!!! No wonder the OP couldn't find it!

D'oh!
Old 01-29-2009 | 09:48 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Here is what a Porsche salesman told me last year when I was considering CPO'ing the used Targa I was purchasing:
"Remember, If you got the car CPO'd, the warranty stays with the car if you sell it privately, but it cancels if you trade it in at a Porsche dealer"
I don't doubt that is what the salesman told you . However, Ron had an entirely diferent experience as noted in this link.

Transfer of CPO Warranty
Old 01-30-2009 | 02:20 PM
davearm
Instructor

I just pulled my CPO parerwork yesterday, and it states that the CPO is transferrable as long as the car is not sold through a non-approved seller or broker. if it is traded to an approved dealer (Porsche), the remainder of the CPO goes with the car. There is a card in the back of the CPO warranty that needs to be filled out to transfer.

Dave

Quick Reply: transfer of CPO versus balance of factory warranty