Sponsored by:

California Lemon Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Lemon Law

Has any one sucessfully made a claim under California's Lemon Law (aka the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act)? I'm curious as to your experience, steps in the process, amount of time, etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to go through one on a '03 BMW 745 due to an A/C issue that the dealers couldn't fix. I contacted a law office in San Diego (they ask you to fax/email all the paperwork and usually call you back in a day to let you know if they want the case or not) I found online in 12/2/05 and if my memory serves correct, dropped off the BMW at a BMW dealership in Monrovia in mid January of '06. It took about 45 days to complete the case. In brief, I received a full refund (down pay plus monthly payments) minus $1000 (the law office charged this amount up front) minus less use of 6879 miles, which came out to be about $4000. I don't know how they come up with the $4000 but I first reported the problem when I hit 6879 miles and based on this they somehow calculated and took $4000 from the refund.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
9elf S
Instructor

Thanks. Do you recall the name of the law firm? There are many that advertise on the web. Were you satisfied with their work? In other words, would you recommend them?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do NOT need a lawyer. Read the official website: http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

Then write your letter to the manufacturers address in the back of your owners manual/warranty brochure.

I did it with a MazaSpeed6 which had big problems with leaking shaft seals on the turbo.

30 days or more in the shop, in particular, and you have a pretty much slam dunk case.

It was done and bought back in less than 45 days. It is not rocket science to file a lemon law request.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can email or pm me for the name of the law firm, I don't know if I could use the actual name or not on this board. As for savyboy, he is probably right about contacting the manufacture regarding the buy back. I first tried to do it on my own but BMW wasted my time for over a year without getting any result, I guess they were thinking that I would sell the car instead of hiring a law firm.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:50 AM
blaze22
1st Gear

Default California lemon laws

I think you shouldn't worry because California lemon laws i.e. (Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act) protects vehicle customers from cheat and loss. If the dealer is unable to provide you service under the warranty period then the dealer or the vehicle manufacturer should replace with the new one or should refund you money including several fees included with the vehicle. If the dealer doesn't agree to do so then you can file case in the court for your vehicle.

How much time it will take, it is unable to estimate. It depends on your case. You should consult your attorney for more details.

Quick Reply: California Lemon Law