Sponsored by:

"No Particular Place to Go"

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "No Particular Place to Go"

Thanks to Chuck Berry we have those immortal lines about life as a teenager, but they could just as easily apply to us fortunate Porsche drivers.

The great opportunity is to invent new reasons to go out in the car: they don't have to have a real purpose - any flimsy excuse will do. I once drove from Chicago to a small town in Wisconsin called new Glarus, just to buy beer. And if you ask yourself the obvious question then the answer was yes, of course I could buy the same beer in Chicago. But I had set out on the journey with no intention of buying beer or even crossing a state border; it was all on a whim.

But I wanted to to hear that engine turn into a chainsaw at 4000 rpm, feel the shifter move from gear to gear like a well oiled piece of machinery, feel the steering move in my hands, and to just enjoy the journey for the sake of the journey.

In a world that it is increasingly scheduled to the minute and over-communicated it's a real indulgence and privilege to be able to jump into your Porsche and say that you are going for a drive but have "No particular place to go".
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
jsmirand
Racer

So right! I enjoy driving to Oracle, AZ for a hamburger. I've also driven up Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, 1:20 away, up in the pine trees, to get breakfast. Simple, enjoyable motoring...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Since my car is NOT my DD, most of my 17,000 + miles have been of the "no particular place to go" variety.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

"no particular place to go" travel on hold for winter because of summer tires! :>(
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When my 997.2 C2S arrives in late March, I'm going to have to take an unplanned road trip to put 2000 break-in miles on. My only thought is to head south where it's warmer... Should be interesting
Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with you on this.

I even catch myself going out to the garage just to look at my car! Crazy....
Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Dreaming of road trips while Chicago basks in a gloriously balmy 14F today...

Going to a wedding in Hilton Head at the end of March so the Chef's are planning to drive there from Chicago with a break somewhere in NC (Asheville maybe?). After the wedding it will be off to Orlando to visit aging relatives (not Mickey and Snow White) then back to Chi-town. Round trip 2000 miles+. While it doesn't technically qualify for the song I'm hoping the mood will be.

Quick Reply: "No Particular Place to Go"