Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post some pics of rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
RPMert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big wing on a 997 car? It's so nice that Porsche woerked so good in making it fold away on 997. Perhaps ask oneself how you will react when a "real" Turbo, or GT2,3 come next to you at the stoplight? Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
blakt out
Instructor

I don't get your thought, but I bet it's silly nonsense. As for 997 "base" cars, I know for a fact that the wings make a difference. They are, as you might not be aware of, capable of speeds where more downforce than the little pop-up wing can provide. They are so important that I have gone through numerous wings to find one that works for me, for example, on the back straight at VIR when a wind gust comes along. Who runs from a stoplight? Who needs a wing when they DO? I don't see a wing as being the same as hanging a big set of rubber ***** of the back of a car.

And the whole "real" turbo thing is aggravating. Those cars are heavy straight line machines that give the driver no feedback. Check out my big winged 997 in a comparison test against a 'real' turbo and a GT3 in the upcoming issue of Excellence.

Last edited by blakt out; 01-07-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMert
Perhaps ask oneself how you will react when a "real" Turbo, or GT2,3 come next to you at the stoplight?
I'm sure I'll have the usual thought: "Gee, I wonder why I never see Mr. Turbo over there and his Batmobile out at the race track."
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
ATL-Porsche
Advanced

Big wing on a 997 car? It's so nice that Porsche woerked so good in making it fold away on 997. Perhaps ask oneself how you will react when a "real" Turbo, or GT2,3 come next to you at the stoplight? Just a thought.
Wow, nice comment there. Surely you know that the C2/C2S/C4/C4S can all be ordered through Porsche with a factory aero kit. I guess Porsche should go back and think about what a "real" turbo owner is going to think when they see a "big wing" on a "lesser" model.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default IMO best wing for 997 is the TT wing

But it is a bit of a hassle...Many have seen but for the topic here it is again....very happy with the results, 997TT wing fab'd to fit N/A 997.... pics of wing in lowered position and hydraulics activated and yes IMO need front chin spoiler to balance the car. I added Hamman.... New the price is insane, could reach near 15K after paint, install=re-wire, swap out of air box etc etc.... but find the wing used and price is a fraction of the above noted. New OEM from dealaer the wing runs 12+K range for parts, then tax on that possibly, again prep and paint, install, fabricate to fit (wiring work so it activates at 70+mph etc).... fun project if you want to be different and for the haters please refrain, the car is not badged turbo so relax.

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
blakt out
Instructor

It does look good. Even I couldn't justify that kind of price for that though, to me that is. I think it's great that you did it though.

Good work.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default I agree

I 100% agree with you....that said, full disclosure, I got the wing for 1800, paint 400, needed airbox so went with Evo which I was planning to do anyway, then install figure another 800 range....so I have north of 3K into it the wing. For that I am happy. My next car down the road will be a 997, few years newer as mine is a 05.... every mod I did I really like so I plan to strip the car back to stock and from the wing, to the chin spoiler, wheels to coil overs (much more) will go onto the next 997. That's the plan at least...... who knows may end up with a sl65 instead....that's not for a while as cpo still good for 2 more years anyway so will keep the car at least that long....

Originally Posted by blakt out
It does look good. Even I couldn't justify that kind of price for that though, to me that is. I think it's great that you did it though.

Good work.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
blakt out
Instructor

This is what I'm going to put on my car.

Synergy Racing Competition wing.

My stock 'raising' decklid weighs 25.4lbs. My GMG GT3RS (complete copy of the GT3RS wing with the blade in carbon) weighs 25.0lbs. My Cargraphic GT2 weighs an impressive 20.4lbs.

This wing weighs 7.9. Isn't this where we WANT to lose a bit of weight? I do! I'm stoked. They're all fully handmade to order. I'm going for full clearcoat, like this one.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thats a sick wing!!!

cant be cheap?

Originally Posted by blakt out
This is what I'm going to put on my car.

Synergy Racing Competition wing.

My stock 'raising' decklid weighs 25.4lbs. My GMG GT3RS (complete copy of the GT3RS wing with the blade in carbon) weighs 25.0lbs. My Cargraphic GT2 weighs an impressive 20.4lbs.

This wing weighs 7.9. Isn't this where we WANT to lose a bit of weight? I do! I'm stoked. They're all fully handmade to order. I'm going for full clearcoat, like this one.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
blakt out
Instructor

They are handmade to order. They are $4550 or so. If five others put orders in at the same time, not even 'through' or 'with' me, we can all get 10% off. Either way, I'll get one. But before I do anything lightweight, I'm waiting on the GTB rules and weights.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
ATL-Porsche
Advanced

I'll wait until you're done with it and then I'll buy it from you Jared
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Default Now THIS is a wing!

I love my car...
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
RPMert
Advanced

I did not consider wings for track requirements. Large functional devices are definitely justified for track use. On streets and roads they look funny, IMO. I wish someone could "prove" the Turbo wing (as opposed to regular 997 retraction spoiler) is actually necessary for a 480hp AWD GT road car or did Porsche make slight body changes so they could slap it on there for "differentiation?" I apologize for making waves.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
blakt out
Instructor

I did not consider wings for track requirements. Large functional devices are definitely justified for track use. On streets and roads they look funny, IMO. I wish someone could "prove" the Turbo wing (as opposed to regular 997 retraction spoiler) is actually necessary for a 480hp AWD GT road car or did Porsche make slight body changes so they could slap it on there for "differentiation?" I apologize for making waves.
No worries on the waves. It's all good.

The bigger the wing, the more stable (assuming shape and angle are correct). So, it really has nothing to do with which 997 911 we're talking about (turbo, GT3, GT2, S, base) because they all are more than capable enough to need it... on the street too. That would depend on where you live. I have been caught numerous times on the street with my tail wagging when I didn't intend for it to. THe larger wing keeps this in check.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
blakt out
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blondurant
I love my car...
Me too!

Quick Reply: Post some pics of rear wing