Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 C4S or 09 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009 | 06:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
I'd get the 2009 and am in the process of doing something similar myself. The 2009 product is a real improvement over the 2005-2008. I have a 2007 GT3 now and owned a 2007 C2S and am giving up the GT3 in favor of the 2009 C2S - it's that good. The engine and sport PASM option (lowered suspension, upgraded Gen 2 shocks / logic, stiffer springs, new sways, and LSD) really blur the performance line between the the GT3 and new C2S.
Ron: Interesting analysis. Are you going with PDK?
Old 01-04-2009 | 06:13 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

No, manual only for me. I've played around with variations like BMW's and Audi's - I still like to do the clutch work.
Old 01-04-2009 | 07:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Thanks again everyone. Well, it turns out the C4S is no longer available. So, I'm focusing on the 2009 option. A couple of dealers are claiming they will sell 09s at $1000 over invoice, but the catch is that their invoices seem $4k-$5k higher than ones on Edmunds.com. Has anyone experienced that? I guess I should negotiate above 10% discount off list price then, rather than going up from invoice. I'm thiinking of either C2 or C2S, not too expensively equipped, as I mainly care about the soul of the car. I could get a nice modestly equipped C2S 11% off list discount, that could work.
Send a PM to Chris (Rennlist name = Likemystoppie?). He is the Sales Manager at Porsche in North-Olmsted in Ohio. A good number of guys here have bought from him. It would probably be worth your while to talk with him.
Old 01-04-2009 | 07:23 PM
GARRY SIMMONS
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Hello everyone, I'm trying to decide between a very nicely equipped 07 C4S (108k original sticker, a little over 10k miles) or a modestly equipped new 09 C2. The 07 C4S would cost me about $9k less than the 09 C2 (C2's stiker is a little over $81k). The C4S is absolutely beautiful and richly equipped, but I suspect the C2 may be enough for my desires (the C4S has some nice to have equpment that's not on my must to have list), plus it comes with DFI engine, much improved PCM and 2 extra years of warranty. I live in the northeast, so we get snow - but I'd try to avoid driving the car in snowy weather; if I ever did it would be with snow wheels/tires, of course). Therefore, 4WD would be nice to have, but not a necessity. I'd appreciate some opinions. I'm guessing most would recommend the C4S, but let's see... Thanks in advance.
I had been looking for 6-8 months and was torn bewteen the same two caqrs as well as a reaqlly nice silver C2S 993 with turbo S front and rear. I ended up with an Icelandic Silver 08 C4S manual with full leather and 4900 miles and smile every time I look in the garage and look fro any excuse to drive anywhere. It really sticks and is quick but now looking for relatively simple performance mods. If it's mostly a street car that you don't want to hang out, I'd go for the C4S.
Old 01-04-2009 | 11:02 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Default Garry and Ron.........

Garry and Ron.........Have both excellent points and recommendations......among others

Here is a question for Ron CT and others - how about a '09-'10 GT3 with PDK ?
Old 01-05-2009 | 07:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

First off, I have no interest in PDK. Can it be faster at the track? I'm sure - just look at the specifications, reviews, Ring lap of 7:50 in the 997S, etc. But that takes my skill set out of the loop and boy do I love executing a perfect heel/toe while threshold to trail braking. If the 997.2S is such a beast, I'm sure the GT3 will be even more of one.
Old 01-10-2009 | 10:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Buying cars is the best way to "loose" money but now that that's out of the way... We ordered the 09 MKII 997S and I have to say it feels like much more than just a "refresh". I absolutely dig the PDK. The sports suspension feels pretty darned good for "stock" out of the box and the power increase is certainly noticeable too. Feels quite quick to me. I'm pretty stoked about the car thus far. I also like a lot of the updates made. I think I was in the same camp as most. Doubting the PDK along with the rest of the new updates. The new DI motor (A91) certainly seems like it has good power and perhaps close to that of a 996GT3. The response is fantastic with the DI and it's almost like the good old days of a "cable" throttle body. The pedal feels more connected and less electronic if you will. I think the 997MKII with PDK is a much "easier" car to drive daily and live with in traffic. The PDK and software/shift patterns are _especially_ impressive in one area that I still think matters- in traffic and on hills. It feels so smooth and so well done that you think you're in an automatic. I can say that with PDK there's now no need for the Tiptronic. Anyone can jump in and drive it anytime and under any circumstance. Traffic, freeway, curvy roads et. al. This is Porsche's first attempt and they scored. Combine it with a 7-speed exceptionally geared tranny you get a very quick car in terms of straight line speed. It goes like stink as the magazines have said. Is it more involving than a 6speed? Nope. As long as we look at the PDK as a replacement for the Tip we're in good shape. If you want a 6 get a 6speed.

Out of the box experience thus far has gone like this. Styling, I like it. The new colors. I really like them. The stock wheels? A bit nicer. Led lights- cool. Transmission, practical and still fun but not RS 6speed. Suspension, the best yet for a "non" GT 911. I love the different settings with the sport suspension. They really do work well and change the ride charachteristics. In 'normal' soft mode I can't see the wife-o-meter even registering on the richter-scale. Creature comforts are the best yet. The NAV is finally on par with a modern Toyota and functional. BlueTooth, ipod yadda yadda. Stereo is at least as good as something found in a honda and not a 1979 Blaupunkt 930. It's a 911 that's more comfortable, easy to drive and in my mind more appealing car to the masses.

The bad? The buttons. I don't know what Hilda and Herman were thinking but when I want to change gears I really, really don't want to feel like I'm pushing a Vending machine's coin return trying to get my 25 cents back All I can think is that they are trying to appeal to the former tiptronic owners by saying "Hey look the wheel is very similar to what came before". Paddles people. Paddles.

The Gen1 car probably makes "more" sense financially since it's taken the hit but if you can get a good discount and swing it... the 09 is the better car. No doubt. I also think the 2WD is far more entertaining than the heavier AWD. Not overly keen on the understeer and suspension feel on those.

Quick Reply: 07 C4S or 09 C2?