Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Shipment Protective Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

The car will inevitably get some scratches if it's driven. That's all there is to it.
Don't drive yourself crazy with this hyper-prophylaxis approach. Just enjoy the car for what it is - a Porsche.
As others have said, the clear bra is only so good anyhow. Personally I don't think I'll put one on my next 911.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

Thanks for all your advice. I think I'm gonna go with the tugboat approach! Seriously, I'll probably wrap some blue painter's tape on the front bumper and that's it and then I'll go straight to the clear bra installer.

Will take pics again once the protective tape is off.

Off to the dealership tomorrow!

Vic
Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, enjoy the he'll out of it!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:27 AM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 1992 I believe 964 that won top PCA concours in San Diego a few years ago is in my region. It has rock chips (a few) on the front. The owner carefully repairs them him self, its not 100% perfect but good enough to remain a top 911 of that vintage. Drive it, learn to do repairs your self and be careful where you drive and who who drive behind.

chuck
Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

One way to avoid chips is to not follow other vehicles too closely, and keep your speed down, which you should do anyway while breaking in the car. I think if you leave at least a few car lengths between you and the next vehicle (more if it is a large truck), and keep to around 60mph, you should get home without any chips. As others have said, try to relax and enjoy the car. Most people don't even see things you might obsess over. Plus, a little road rash gives a car some character, and show that it is being treated like a true driver's car, not a piece of sculpture to just be looked at.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
user 702092
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the tape off.

Drive it. It's a car.

Dealer tried to sell me the protective clear tape for the hood. It reminded me of those plastic slip covers people put on their lamps and furniture in the 60's (and maybe still today - scary).

I inspected the car. 100% perfect. I drove it home 15 miles. The next day I noticed a rock chip on the hood. It was actually several inches ABOVE where the protective tape would have been placed. I laughed and relaxed. The first ding is over. Now I can drive it and not worry about the first ding.

Drive it and enjoy it. Congrats!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmancud
Take the tape off.

Drive it. It's a car.

Dealer tried to sell me the protective clear tape for the hood. It reminded me of those plastic slip covers people put on their lamps and furniture in the 60's (and maybe still today - scary).

I inspected the car. 100% perfect. I drove it home 15 miles. The next day I noticed a rock chip on the hood. It was actually several inches ABOVE where the protective tape would have been placed. I laughed and relaxed. The first ding is over. Now I can drive it and not worry about the first ding.

Drive it and enjoy it. Congrats!
I've always thought about taking a small hammer and putting a very small dent in the new car the day I took delivery. Then at least I would know WHO did it and WHEN, and not have to worry about all of the others that were to follow.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first chip is liberating, no way of stopping it. Enjoy the new P-car...

Quick Reply: White Shipment Protective Film