Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Do You Pay A Month For Your Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Hey "Old Tool" Don't forget depreciation.

I'd rather attract the pollen then the bees themselves. My Speed Yellow 997 attracts bees every time I stop at a light

Dave
Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased for 105K with payments of $1750/mo with $10,000 down and paying it down at $3000.00/mo. When I calculate how much interest I will pay if I carry the loan to term it makes me sick; hence, the reason this vehicle will be paid of in another 15 months. In addition, I keep my 911 cars for a very long time.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrari430
Just wondering how much people are paying to either lease or buy a new 997.2
Welcome! Congratulations on considering your first Porsche! Oh, and nevermind the comments from people like JOKE who are upset because they couldn't find their ***** in the morning - this anonymous playground is the only place they have to brag.

There are endless discussions and opinions on this forum about lease versus finance versus cash versus swap versus rent versus borrow versus steal versus build-it-yourself. As always, you need to figure out what works for you and what you are most comfortable with.

For lease calculations, www.leasecompare.com is a good site. For financing calculations, www.bankrate.com works well. Another financing option that Porsche offers is the balloon approach (lower monthly rates, but probably typically not recommended because the interest rates are really high) - more info on the website.

When playing with the numbers, depending on the approach you choose, don't forget to include other costs such as sales tax, gap insurance, acquisition fee, etc.

Also, keep in mind costs such as depreciation, fuel, insurance, and maintenance. If you search this forum for terms such as cost per mile, cost of ownership, insurance, leasing, finance, tires, and alike, you'll get a better idea of what you'll be looking at in total monthly expenses.

All the planning and considerations for your first Porsche, there's nothing quite like it, and you will always remember it. Have fun!

P.S.: Russo, I think you are the first one I've seen on here from the Valley. I lived down there for 6.5 years (Edinburg/McAllen).
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wolfgang - GREAT call on the Bankrate Auto Calculator. I've used for my past 4-5 cars and it is typically within pennies of my actual payment. I like it because it tells me I can afford a Turbo.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soulteacher. There are a couple of us Porsche boys on this board from the valley. Curious, where are you living now? I will be honest with you, I absolutely hated this place when I first moved down here 10 years ago. However, know its my home, heck it has blessed me with a successful practice that allows my indulgence in Porsche's.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russo
There are a couple of us Porsche boys on this board from the valley. Curious, where are you living now? I will be honest with you, I absolutely hated this place when I first moved down here 10 years ago.
That's awesome! The more, the merrier... Last time I went back was a few months ago and I did not see a single Porsche. Next time I'll let you know. I now live in Shreveport, Louisiana, which is about a 9.5-hour drive. No Porsches up here either. I lived in the Valley from 1996 to 2002 and loved it right from the start, simply because I left Germany in 20 degree weather to arrive in McAllen in 70 degree weather... in January! Heck, I said, I'm not leaving this place ever...

Ferrari, sorry for hijacking! Chris, bankrate.com rocks! It told me I could afford more house and so I started building...
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I'd rather attract the pollen then the bees themselves. My Speed Yellow 997 attracts bees every time I stop at a light

Dave
Dave! What's going on my man? How's the P-whip treating you??
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Guys!

Cut the OP a break here!

If he really owns a Ferrari F430, as his screen name would imply (nothing in profile), he has already suffered ~$100,000 loss over the last several months. OUCH!

It would appear he now wants to FINANCE a new 997! Slow learner.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Uhm....... is leasecompare.com using FULL sticker price to quote er what?

According to the numbers I ran it's off anywhere from $115 to $310/mo. ouch. On a ML.350 09.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said before, there are numerous posts about cash buy vs. finance vs. lease. There are also, unfortunately, lots of threads on what is deemed affordable and who can afford what.

There is no answer to your question that can really serve you any good. The real "cost" of anything is what you give up to spend it. If a cash buy drains your bank account or if a monthly payment leaves little margin for other fixed expenses and others things you normally buy, then the cost is too high. If not, well then it's probably OK.

Simply learning other people's monthly cost or how much cash they parted with up front, is really of no value other than just pure curiosity. The better question that has also been addressed several times is what % off of MSRP people received at various times. That gives you what you need to populate the calculators and come up with a monthly $$ figure or a pure upfront buy number.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrari430
i am trying to figure how much people are actually paying on a base 997 a month...
this is impossible to figure out.
it depends on
credit history
equity contribution (capital cost reduction)
money factor that you got reamed for
annual mileage
lease term 1, 2, 3, 5 years
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by LIKE A JOKE THATS LEFT UNSAID
talk to your financial consultant, old sport. i wrote a check for mine.

if you to have ask, you can't afford it.
not true. while i wrote a check for mine, i asked many questions. the dealer printed over 30 permutation of financing options for me. the more you ask the more you can save especially in today's econ.

and it's not always smart to write a chk to buy a car. have you seen bmw rates now? why would ANYONE pass up 1.9% financing even if you had $700B sitting in the bank?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How bout u write a check for $17 and buy a membership??
Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
How bout u write a check for $17 and buy a membership??
Whoaaaaaaa there, sport.

Buying a membership is not a requirement for posting here. It's only a requirement if you wish to post items for sale and take advantage of other benefits that full membership provides. But it's free to post here as long as you want to without needing to pay, in case you were misinformed.

Rennlist is no longer a mom-and-pop operation but one of many automotive communities owned by a major corporation called Internet Brands who happens to own a large number of these online communites: http://www.internetbrands.com/ib

Paying for a membership is a pure waste of money if you don't intend to take advantage of the benefits that premium membership offers.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
wbgordon
Racer

First, let me point out that the author of the above is a jerk. Second, paying cash for a cost item (read: DEPRECIABLE) when you can use someone else's money, possibly tax deductible, and make more on the cash in your pocket while driving a Porsche makes no financial sense. Then again, I am reminded: Some people have more money than sense.

Or they want to leave that impression on the Rennlist.

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Pay A Month For Your Car?