Sponsored by:

First Ticket and It's Bad - the Outcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a pretty good outcome.
+1
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good leg work on your part. I had somewhat a similar experience in that I was driving on my local expressway on a Sunday morning and didn't see the F150 police truck merging and drove past him at about 115mph. I did notice the flashing lights about 1/2 mile to my rear and thus slowed down and let him catch up and pull me over. I knew he didn't have radar since I have a K40 in all of my vehicles. Regardless, I thought that a good Sunday drive was ruined and that I would probably go to jail. To my amazement he stated that he had paced me at 80 mph in a 60 mph zone and further added that I was still accelerating. I promptly apologized for my moronic behavior and thanked my lucky stars that 80 mph was going to be my ticket. A $300.00 ticked that I was, for once, happy to pay without any complaints.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
dude...that's not a bad outcome that's a great outcome ur lucky!! change the title of your post
I think the title is what is because originally, it was "first ticket, and its bad"
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This makes me want to keep a recorder in my car. Anyone recommend one?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In law school we learn in trial practice classes to really drill leos during cross examinations because some will perjure themselves all day long with a smile on their face. Pretty disheartening.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

This brings up a good question that I have been thinking about recently.

A while back I was driving down the freeway and noticed an ambulance approaching behind me. There were a couple of cars right beside me, so I accelerated and moved over for the ambulance. Next thing I know I'm getting lasered and I get pulled over. After the cop wrote the ticket, I asked him to please note that there was an ambulance behind me. He said that he didn't have to note it and that he would put it in "his notes." I asked politely again if he wouldn't mind just noting it on my copy. He flat out said NO, told me to drive safe and walked off. I didn't want to push the issue further so I left it at that. When the court day came, the ambulance was magically void from his testimony.

I managed to get the ticket dropped out of sheer luck but I have always wondered this: If you ask a cop to note a special circumstance, EG no uniform or approaching ambulance, can they just refuse?

TIA!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did good - give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the summary.

Glad it worked out.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
This brings up a good question that I have been thinking about recently.

A while back I was driving down the freeway and noticed an ambulance approaching behind me. There were a couple of cars right beside me, so I accelerated and moved over for the ambulance. Next thing I know I'm getting lasered and I get pulled over. After the cop wrote the ticket, I asked him to please note that there was an ambulance behind me. He said that he didn't have to note it and that he would put it in "his notes." I asked politely again if he wouldn't mind just noting it on my copy. He flat out said NO, told me to drive safe and walked off. I didn't want to push the issue further so I left it at that. When the court day came, the ambulance was magically void from his testimony.

I managed to get the ticket dropped out of sheer luck but I have always wondered this: If you ask a cop to note a special circumstance, EG no uniform or approaching ambulance, can they just refuse?

TIA!
Unfortunately many cops do what they please and I see no defense. Who has the nerve to start an audio recorder or snap a photo? either attempt would further infuriate the LEO. Traffic enforcement is, in most cases, pure harassment.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the outcome. You did good.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

While most cops are regular people, there are always a few who feel they can just do anything they want. Perhaps it's from hanging out with undesirables so much. I would encourage someone to produce a small video cam corder for your car that can record forward and aft imagery and also sound,--store it on a hard drive up to 2 hrs worth,--and then be available to the owner should a question of he said she said come up. Imagine how many cases wind up reversed because of such evidence. (Rodney King comes to mind...)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't it illegal to record someone in that way though? Sometimes when you get pulled over a cop informs you that you are being recorded.

Quick Reply: First Ticket and It's Bad - the Outcome