Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super high mileage 997 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:10 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking some more about it, one drawback on the Porsche on a long commute was that it was always difficult to talk on the cell with a bluetooth. I had a Fabspeed exhaust and it did sound good until you had to do a call. The noise was always a problem no matter how high I turned up the volume on the phone. But then driving the Porsche always did make the drive a bit more fun.

As for tires, I was driving a 996 and the long commute was one reason I stuck with 17" rims. They may not have looked as nice, but they lasted a lot longer and took the potholes and other road hazards on a lot better than 18" would. 19" rims on a 997 would scare for normal commuting duty in NJ. I would stick with 18" rims.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by rmillnj
Thinking some more about it, one drawback on the Porsche on a long commute was that it was always difficult to talk on the cell with a bluetooth. I had a Fabspeed exhaust and it did sound good until you had to do a call. The noise was always a problem no matter how high I turned up the volume on the phone. But then driving the Porsche always did make the drive a bit more fun.

As for tires, I was driving a 996 and the long commute was one reason I stuck with 17" rims. They may not have looked as nice, but they lasted a lot longer and took the potholes and other road hazards on a lot better than 18" would. 19" rims on a 997 would scare for normal commuting duty in NJ. I would stick with 18" rims.
Having an aftermarket exhaust totally changes the cabin noise levels and resonance. Your Fabspeed experience is not informative of how cell phone conversations would be with an OEM exhaust.

If you run the esoteric OEM 997 18" tire sizes and N-spec tires, the savings over 19" tires is only fractional, and you can pay more for some 18" N-spec 997 tires (e.g., Mich. PS2) than the longer wearing Continental N-spec 19's. Getting a base Carrera with 18" rims is one thing, but if we're talking a used Carrera S, IMO it's not worth the cost & hassle for most people - someone would have to find & buy 18" wheels, and then store the 19s somewhere since a future buyer will expect the OEM 19" on a Carrera S, and maybe even the base car too.

Do we have some data from a reliable non-anecdotal source that the OEM BBS-manufactured 19" rims are getting bent a lot? If so I'm unaware of it. The rims are strong and lots of new cars these days are equipped with 19" wheels, which major manufacturers wouldn't do if it threatened customer satisfaction and JD Power rankings. Long commutes usually are done on smooth surfaces, too.

My greater concern for a high mileage 997 would be the issue of flats, since the 997 is a car with no spare tire. The OP might want to look for a used car with TPMS; or choose between adding aftermarket TPMS or carrying an unsightly space saver spare if he gets a car without TPMS. Otherwise, he could get stranded from something as common as a flat tire. A TPMS warning gives you a better chance of stopping before a punctured tire is irreparably damaged. If the OP is even slightly mechanically inclined, a tire plug kit would be a good tool to keep - you can patch the hole and the 997 tool kit includes an air compressor to refill the tire.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
niptuck
8th Gear

There's another way to look at it. Buy a used Porsche where the prices are low now and hope that the economy recovers in the next 3-4 years. And if you sell it then, you may not lose too much money. It's a risk but personally, I don't think it's a big risk given that the economy is cyclical and 3-4 years sounds reasonable.

Anyhow, I'd pick the Porsche over the bmw any day esp one with a sports exhaust and drive it with the windows down. And if you can help it, try not to get an ordinary sedan if you're going to spend so much time on the road.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
You must be buying your tires from a dealer to be paying those kinds of prices. I just bought two Pirelli 19" PZero Rossos from Tire Rack for $864. I get about 15k mi. on the rears and find I replace one set of fronts for every two sets of rears. The last set of fronts I bought were $738 for two.
No - I was providing ball park figures to go with the ball park analysis the thread author was doing. I didn't suggest how often he'd change his tires. Just estimated cost to replace.

PS2s all around from Tire Rack will run $1660, plus shipping, plus mounting and balancing, and you're not far off from $2k.

The net point is...budget alot for tires.
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a dealer's perspective, one reason cars take a nose-dive after 100k is that a lot of dealerships won't retail a car with over 100k miles. We typically will wholesale the car if it's 90k or more. If we have to wholesale the car or send it to auction, you're not going to get as much on trade, and lower trade in pricing drives down retail pricing too over time.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Why stop at 100K. If you're going to do this you might as well drive it until it dies...which it never will.

A friend of mine bought a 1982 911 with 180,000 miles on it and paid $10,000 for it. Once you're over 100K the mileage matters less.

If you're concerned about resale keep her below 90K.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Traitors. Why not buy American if getting a practical car? The Chevy Malibu's a fine car, has high mpg and is more fun to drive than most of its competition, and the 2009 Cobalt can be purchased in 36/37 hwy mpg form. Both have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

VW Jetta TDI or 335d would be great too, if one likes the nouveau diesel funk.

But the high mile 997 is a much more appealing concept, a great way to enjoy countless hours of the long commute, a freindly smiling face to come back to (at least when you approach the car from the front).
Guilty as charged The Malibu is indeed as nice as the Accord or Camry. But the Cobalt, sorry, it is still years behind competitors Let's hope the Cruze will be as good as the Malibu!

Anyways, I don't think OP wants these commuter cars.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I use my 06 Lexus GS430 as a commuter car....you can get a great deal on a used one and they are rock solid.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

I like the original idea of using the 997 every day. My 968 puts me in a different bracket but I had the same concerns. I considered having a good car and a commuter, but when you consider the extra maintence, having to have a place to put it, and having to drive it, you are reallyl better off just spending the money and enjoying the car. Life is simplier with one car. While I don't have a 997, I do believe these cars are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. They just happen to be a bit more fun. So if your car makes you smile more than your statement balance, the choice is easy.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, good sense, economy car might be the best what to go, but it will never be a much fun. A couple of years ago I had a 102 mi per day round trip commute to work. I swapped between my BoxsterS and 993. I had Permagrin everyday. The stress of the workday faded away about 10 min into the commute home...........nothing but miles of smiles. Good luck
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
pred8or
Racer

Originally Posted by 968PORSCHE
I like the original idea of using the 997 every day. My 968 puts me in a different bracket but I had the same concerns. I considered having a good car and a commuter, but when you consider the extra maintence, having to have a place to put it, and having to drive it, you are reallyl better off just spending the money and enjoying the car. Life is simplier with one car. While I don't have a 997, I do believe these cars are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. They just happen to be a bit more fun. So if your car makes you smile more than your statement balance, the choice is easy.

+1 on everything. Extra cars mean extra purchase of car, insurance, registration, maintenance, storage space etc... more more more ..... less cars

I have a toyota tacoma its a POS I despise driving it only when I have too. I have had numerous problems with it not supported by the factory. Other Toyotas I have had were not reliable either. This is the last one.

The only way to get your moneys worth out of any car is to drive drive drive it. When you sell a car with alot of miles for less money you can feel good about saying that car owes me nothing. If you sell a garge queen a few years into it with no miles on it all the depreciation was time sitting in the garage not time in the seat.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My 997 C4S is Commute Therapy

Going unvarnished here:

I enjoy every mile I put on my car. I got almost 28 K since June '07. I have a commute that would, and did, truly suck in a riceburner or saloon or whatever, but is a joy in a 911.

I lost my *** on depreciation, yes, a bad investment. But, I did not buy the car for an investment, just to drive as much as possible and learn how to drive better and learn about the cars technical aspects.

Here is one financial silver lining that I never expected though: In '07, I said eff-it, and torched my moribund 401K, and took the 10% penalty. Used it to pay for a chunk of the car. If I held onto that money, that investment today would have been worth half, at best, thanks to the looting of America by Bush and short-sellers, and I would still be driving a some boring POS into the Silicon Valley every day.

Having said all that, I am attracted to the idea of a CPO for high mileage therapy. Perhaps next time.

In closing, buy a 911 and enjoy every mile, don't obsess about depreciation or miles, you could croak tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Drive it, have fun. Life is short.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:59 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

I have almost 60,000 miles and I drive
it everyday for my 40 mile commute. The maintence is real tough.
I guess my tire budget is $4,500 dollars a year. I do all
my own work. I took off the blue brakes in November
and will put them on or buy new ones in March. Nothing
like having good brakes on track day!!!
Paul
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
I have almost 60,000 miles and I drive
it everyday for my 40 mile commute. The maintence is real tough.
I guess my tire budget is $4,500 dollars a year. I do all
my own work. I took off the blue brakes in November
and will put them on or buy new ones in March. Nothing
like having good brakes on track day!!!
Paul
3 sets of tires a year? How do you drive the thing?

Quick Reply: Super high mileage 997 question