Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Side Muffler By-Pass Pipes on my 2009 C2S!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Fabspeed Side Muffler By-Pass Pipes on my 2009 C2S!!!!

Well everyone I could not wait any longer, put my money where my mouth is and wanted to have my 2009 Carrera S sound meaner, get a little more power and especially take some weight off the rear. So far to market Fabspeed is the only company to come out with some exhaust options. They literly bought a 2009 997S and have ben developing these options. I spoke with Fabspeed and they have even more cool things coming out soon.

I bought the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes. The install was super easy and I went slow and it only took me around an hour at most in my garage. The stock mufflers really do weight a ton as Joe pointed out in the video on the Fabspeed website. I shaved 50lbs off the rear!

The car sounds so much better and it revs up faster. The video clip on the Fabspeed website does not do the sound justice as in person the fidelity is so much better. I listen to the website clips through studio monitors but the little mic on a camcorder is only so good. My neighbor up the street has the PSE system on his 2006 C2s and this new 09 engine sounds really different in it's harmonics than my 2006 and 07 997S with stock and Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers. The side muffler by pass pipes are louder than PSE. So if you know what PSE 997 cars sound like think a louder deeper with more growl. Basically the side muffler by pass pipes are a inexpensive way to gain some power and sound better but they allow you to shed a lot of weight.

From being a past Fabspeed Maxflo muffler owner on my past 2 Carrera S cars I think for the overall best sound and power the new X pipe that removes the center primary muffler and conects each cylinder bank exhaust gases along with these new Maxflo tuned/tunable mufflers coming out might be the best way to go. I hope to hear this system in person soon. I hear this package is making some nice power along with the Fabspeed air intake. I beat that a SoftTronic ECU tune with this package will really wake up the car even more. I believe the sound will be more exotic and street friendly.

So there you have it....the car as stock sounds HORRIBLE but the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes will wake it up for little money and if you are a hard core enthusist and love the racey sport sound of a Porsche engine this will get you going.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review thanks...
Having owned a car with PSE - always on by the way - I think sound is very important... So this provides an early solution to this issue. Will go check the fabspeed site...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mike, nice write-up! I had a feeling you would be hard pressed to wait until the February release of the PSE muflers.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Mike, nice write-up! I had a feeling you would be hard pressed to wait until the February release of the PSE muflers.
Thanks...I was supposed to go to Sebring on Saturday and then could really provide you all witha better review but my dog has been in the animal hosptial all week very sic with liver problems. He is doing a little better but they have done all they can do for him. They are sending him home on Saturday...my track day...so I will not be going to Sebring. It's ok because my dog means more to my wife and I than any track day.

I can tell you the welds on the Fabspeed side muffler by pass pipes are very high end just like the construction and welds on the Maxflo mufflers I use to use. For now this system is a little loud probably for most but WOW does it sound good. Actually it is no louder that the system a guy in my neighborhood has on his Lambo Gallardo not is it any lounder than all the racy performance Corvette systems I hear on these cars around the Tampa area.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you "just" do the muffler bypass pipes or were there any other mods done?

Stu
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Nice review. Would the bypass pipes increase the sound level to point where you might have an issue with the sound ****'s at some of the tracks? Lime Rock, Tremblant and Calabogie all have noise restrictions. I didn't notice any information regarding this on the Fabspeed site. The weight savings and power gain is great, but could the by pass pipe spoil a track day?

JPG
Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnPG
Mike,

Nice review. Would the bypass pipes increase the sound level to point where you might have an issue with the sound ****'s at some of the tracks? Lime Rock, Tremblant and Calabogie all have noise restrictions. I didn't notice any information regarding this on the Fabspeed site. The weight savings and power gain is great, but could the by pass pipe spoil a track day?

JPG
There's video on the Fabspeed site. I think it extremely unlikely the car would pass sound at Laguna.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well everyone I could not wait any longer, put my money where my mouth is and wanted to have my 2009 Carrera S sound meaner, get a little more power and especially take some weight off the rear. So far to market Fabspeed is the only company to come out with some exhaust options. They literly bought a 2009 997S and have ben developing these options. I spoke with Fabspeed and they have even more cool things coming out soon.

I bought the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes. The install was super easy and I went slow and it only took me around an hour at most in my garage. The stock mufflers really do weight a ton as Joe pointed out in the video on the Fabspeed website. I shaved 50lbs off the rear!

The car sounds so much better and it revs up faster. The video clip on the Fabspeed website does not do the sound justice as in person the fidelity is so much better. I listen to the website clips through studio monitors but the little mic on a camcorder is only so good. My neighbor up the street has the PSE system on his 2006 C2s and this new 09 engine sounds really different in it's harmonics than my 2006 and 07 997S with stock and Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers. The side muffler by pass pipes are louder than PSE. So if you know what PSE 997 cars sound like think a louder deeper with more growl. Basically the side muffler by pass pipes are a inexpensive way to gain some power and sound better but they allow you to shed a lot of weight.

From being a past Fabspeed Maxflo muffler owner on my past 2 Carrera S cars I think for the overall best sound and power the new X pipe that removes the center primary muffler and conects each cylinder bank exhaust gases along with these new Maxflo tuned/tunable mufflers coming out might be the best way to go. I hope to hear this system in person soon. I hear this package is making some nice power along with the Fabspeed air intake. I beat that a SoftTronic ECU tune with this package will really wake up the car even more. I believe the sound will be more exotic and street friendly.

So there you have it....the car as stock sounds HORRIBLE but the Fabspeed side muffler by-pass pipes will wake it up for little money and if you are a hard core enthusist and love the racey sport sound of a Porsche engine this will get you going.
Thanks. Couple of things. These pipes are just an elbow to replace the primary (side) mufflers. They were developed for the '05 997 (as per the video at the vendor site.)

Does exactly the same unit fit the '09? I see the site indicates the S and the Carrera are different.

Has anyone checked with Porsche to confirm that removing the side mufflers does not interfere with the warranty as claimed by Fabspeed?

Has anyone dyno'd the direct injection engine with just side mufflers deleted?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

997.1 S and base are different (different size pipes)

997.2 is completely different than 997.1 (different bend) and S and base are same size piping...

removing side does not affect warranty, removing center muffler does not affect warranty, touch the cats and your warranty is toast... so basically you cann change or modify anything "before" the 3 bolt flanges to the cats../headers... they have said ver batim to a friend "that will void warranty on engine" the cats are restrictive for a reason.

not sure of any dyno's... i have hacked sides (bypasses under WOT... and you can feel a difference... when i added the center pipe delete i didnt feel any difference but the sound was completely different.

hopefully that helped... i was just out working on my suspension for the 997.2 and didnt realize its 4:13.. i have to be up at 9:15.. :-(
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks. Couple of things. These pipes are just an elbow to replace the primary (side) mufflers. They were developed for the '05 997 (as per the video at the vendor site.)

Does exactly the same unit fit the '09? I see the site indicates the S and the Carrera are different.

Has anyone checked with Porsche to confirm that removing the side mufflers does not interfere with the warranty as claimed by Fabspeed?

Has anyone dyno'd the direct injection engine with just side mufflers deleted?
Hmm they won't be exactly the same but when we tried going through just the center muffler... well the wife didn't stand for it It's very very loud and a lot of drone. We drove down to a shoot with European car that way with two other cars and nobody wanted to drive the PDK car home When Todd tested it I think he lost a bit of tq down low but it made some power up top.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hmm they won't be exactly the same but when we tried going through just the center muffler... well the wife didn't stand for it It's very very loud and a lot of drone. We drove down to a shoot with European car that way with two other cars and nobody wanted to drive the PDK car home When Todd tested it I think he lost a bit of tq down low but it made some power up top.
Well, I have a Cabrio, so drone might be different, but "very, very loud" is not okay. I think the '09 S sounds very good out of the box, but it's still got that farty "hoover with a full dust bag" sound.

What have you found to work? (not power, just sound track)

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Side Muffler By-Pass Pipes on my 2009 C2S!!!!