Nav / Map Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nav / Map Questions.

Two of them

1) NAV: Can that nagging disclaimer be turned off that comes up every time one pulls up the navigation screen (that says Porsche disavows responsibility if you follow the nav's instruction and drive into a tree, off a cliff, into a building....)
Its a level of CYA that really is getting old, after only 2 wks with the new car.

2) Map (traffic data)... the flow speeds provided through NavTraffic that display on the traffic info messages on the small map that surrounds the 'incidents'... would be really handy if that basic data could be displayed (by configuation) over the general, full screen, map. Anyway to get this?

For example, this mornings commute - there were no incidents, but the flow of a section of I-90 were very slow (stop and go) and being able to see that in advance would have allowed me to choose an alternate route around the congestion. (other than using the 'navigation' system, just using the map display)
Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty sure my car is displaying the traffic data on the general map screen, not just the "incident" maps, as I-5 was red this morning and green yesterday. I'll double check to be certain. I do remember having to turn on the traffic data function somewhere deep within the submenus of the PCM, though I can't remember exactly where off the top of my head. I assume you've already been through the tome that is the PCM manual and have found and enabled this function?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, the XM traffic works on the normal map, but you have to turn it on in the map info submenu. Check out pages 146-149 of the PCM manual for details....
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sadly, even the BEST they can develop with this system will never work as well as the Traffic Advisory System in Europe. Also, the USA road structure often doesn't support valid alternates like there are in Europe. Even with your satellite link to "real time" advisories in the USA it just isn't very good.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Laertes
Yup, the XM traffic works on the normal map, but you have to turn it on in the map info submenu. Check out pages 146-149 of the PCM manual for details....
Thanks for the tip... I'll double check. On those first evenings when I went through the manuals, I would have thought I caught that. In playing with the submenus I would have hopefully caught that as well. Obviously, I missed it... I'll double check tonight!

update Yup, that was it... another submenu one has to turn on a traffic message setting. Hey, I even discovered that in map mode pushing in on the right **** pulls up another submenu.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sadly, even the BEST they can develop with this system will never work as well as the Traffic Advisory System in Europe. Also, the USA road structure often doesn't support valid alternates like there are in Europe. Even with your satellite link to "real time" advisories in the USA it just isn't very good.
I'll agree with you there. The data quality is just better in Europe... well I can only speak for Germany. Here in the US, its more of a 'let the market decide for itself' approach, which, because of so much rural space and such a fragmented radio market, results in only a half-**** solution in major metropolitan areas.

I recall living in Germany in the 80's and having the radio, via the RDS data stream on FM stations, automatically switch to the traffic report source (away from the cassette or whatever station you were listening to) for the minute or two of the report, then returning back to what you were listening to. That solution technology exists here, but most stations don't use the RBDS (us variant). Even if they do, the quality of the announcements that take place are just usually useless. The traffic announcements I've heard, say on my local AM station (which RDBS doesn't work on of course) give you a very quickly spoken rundown of traffic incident and congestion data in a form that may make it usefull to find the location of the incident on a map (if you are sitting in your living room with a map and managed to write down what they rattled off to you)... but its not useful to drivers, especially drivers not intimately familiar with the entire street grid.

For example:
one would hear - slowdown on southbound I-5 at Henderson road because of a stalled vehicle in the right lane"

what does it mean? Where is Henderson road at I-5? Where is that relative to where I am?

What one would probably hear if it where broadcast in Germany: "Slowdown to 35mph on southbound I-5 at mile maker 146 to 149 due to a stalled vehicle in the right lane. Recommend you take exit 138, and follow Roundabout Avenue to BackOnIt Street."
But just having the average speed data displayed can help me decide: do I take the interstate, which is usually faster, or take the back-road surface-streets, which is normally slower unless there is stop-n-go traffic on the interstate... and allow me to make that decision before I get to the interstate onramp (at which point the decision is moot, since I'm now committed as the alternate route required a different turn 4 blocks ago).

Last edited by Minok; 12-06-2008 at 02:50 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Yea,--the way it works in Europe is pretty much ideal. It's working well in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and others. It's fairly seamless over there as well. When there is a "Stau" ahead the map display shows a bunch of arrowheads ahead of your route, indicating things are backing up. The data is coming in automatically and you never have to do anything other than to accept the rerouting guidance. It will take you to the nearest Ausfarht, and then take you on the best primary roads around the Stau until it is clear, and then route you to the best Einfahrt! Alles Klar!

Gute Fahrt!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Minok
Drifting

Now if someone can just figure out how to hack the PCM to get rid of that silly disclaimer we have to acknowledge every time we switch to nav or map.

Quick Reply: Nav / Map Questions.