Sponsored by:

Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The USA luxury market is relatively unaffected by this economy. The middle and lower classes are. The profile of the people buying 997s and Panameras is no where near those classes.

For me, the looks of the AM Rapide are the best.
Dan, You must be kidding. Porsche sales are down 50% and they stopped production on the new 997.2 based on low demand. This economy impacts "everyone". I'm in the luxury goods business and sales are way off.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
...they stopped production on the new 997.2 based on low demand.
When did this happen?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Porsche to Shutter Plant for 7 Days as Car Sales Fall (Update1)

By Andreas Cremer

Nov. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche SE, the maker of the 911 sports car, said it will suspend production at its main plant for seven days to help cope with dwindling auto sales.

Porsche fell the most in a month in Frankfurt trading after the company said today it will idle the factory in Stuttgart, where it is based. Production was also halted for one day last week, the carmaker said in a statement, without specifying on which days the other closures will fall.

“I don’t think that Porsche’s customers have suddenly fallen into poverty, but they’re reacting to the fact that it may be inappropriate to pull up in a new Porsche when their neighbor’s house is being foreclosed,” said Christoph Stuermer, a Frankfurt-based analyst with research firm IHS Global Insight. “It’s an appropriate reaction.”

Wages won’t be affected by the shutdown because of overtime working already banked by workers, Porsche said. Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest carmaker, said earlier it may halt production at its hometown plant in Wolfsburg, Germany, for more than three weeks starting next month to help cope with shrinking markets. Porsche has a controlling stake in the larger company.

“Porsche, too, cannot escape the current downward trend in the automobile industry,” the company said in its statement, reiterating that unit sales in the year ending July 31 won’t match the 98,652 cars delivered in fiscal 2008.

Porsche declined 5.66 euros, or 10 percent, to 50.34 euros and was trading at 51.83 euros as of 4:37 p.m. local time. The stock has lost 62 percent this year, giving a market value of 9 billion euros ($12 billion).
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche to Shutter Plant for 7 Days as Car Sales Fall (Update1)

By Andreas Cremer

Nov. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Porsche SE, the maker of the 911 sports car, said it will suspend production at its main plant for seven days to help cope with dwindling auto sales.

Porsche fell the most in a month in Frankfurt trading after the company said today it will idle the factory in Stuttgart, where it is based. Production was also halted for one day last week, the carmaker said in a statement, without specifying on which days the other closures will fall.

“I don’t think that Porsche’s customers have suddenly fallen into poverty, but they’re reacting to the fact that it may be inappropriate to pull up in a new Porsche when their neighbor’s house is being foreclosed,” said Christoph Stuermer, a Frankfurt-based analyst with research firm IHS Global Insight. “It’s an appropriate reaction.”

Wages won’t be affected by the shutdown because of overtime working already banked by workers, Porsche said. Volkswagen AG, Europe’s largest carmaker, said earlier it may halt production at its hometown plant in Wolfsburg, Germany, for more than three weeks starting next month to help cope with shrinking markets. Porsche has a controlling stake in the larger company.

“Porsche, too, cannot escape the current downward trend in the automobile industry,” the company said in its statement, reiterating that unit sales in the year ending July 31 won’t match the 98,652 cars delivered in fiscal 2008.

Porsche declined 5.66 euros, or 10 percent, to 50.34 euros and was trading at 51.83 euros as of 4:37 p.m. local time. The stock has lost 62 percent this year, giving a market value of 9 billion euros ($12 billion).
Interesting, thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

They've also cancelled participation in the Detroit and Chicago auto shows, along with Nissan. They're apparently focussing their attention on their best markets, like California.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
Interesting, thanks.
I second that. Interesting post. I had no idea. Didn't even see it in the German newspapers. Would have deserved its own thread for some discussion.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I second that. Interesting post. I had no idea. Didn't even see it in the German newspapers. Would have deserved its own thread for some discussion.
On a different note, I would imagine that this is a exciting time to be a B-school academian Wolfgang! Not so good for the students though who'll be looking for employment soon.

I was surprised to read about the Porsche factory closing down. I seem to recall GM closing the Corvette plant for a week a few months ago for similar reasons. I don't know if it will apply to the robots putting together the GT-R although given the auto industry history, it will be a short time before the robots are unionized.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I think the point here is many levels of industry are impacted by the current economic conditions. Dan indicated that the "upper" level people that buy 997's and Panamera's were not effected. I believe nearly everyone is impacted unless you have kept your money under the mattress and have no concern about your employment or income.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
On a different note, I would imagine that this is a exciting time to be a B-school academician Wolfgang! Not so good for the students though who'll be looking for employment soon.
Yes, our kids are having it a little bit harder these days... and like many, they need to become more mobile, which I believe is a good thing. Our enrollment numbers actually increased this semester (from last year), but consulting is dead (which it typically is over winter anyway).

All that aside, I still hope everyone on here is going to have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe we should stop thinking of it as an ugly sedan... how about a cool station wagon!! I kinda like it as that.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok - lets think of it as a station wagon-
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I think we have a wait judgement until we can see one in person. The pics I've seen don't look that compelling. I'm not putting a for sale sign on my E just yet......
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Hmm. Interesting. I just showed Chad this thread.....

Listen guys; Porsche is a very smart company. They'll do fine. As will MOST OF YOU. Let's cut the crapola, most Porsche type clientel will continue to be fine, even in the hardest of time.

Im not saying, let's continue the party and keep buying all sorts of cars. As much as I'd like to; however Porsche will resume production and break again for Christmas.

What the article isn't tell you is that Porsche has recieved a very strong response for Orders of the 997mkII; as have I.

You get a fantastic car and a fantastic price- and get to enjoy it until the Economy comes back around again. And it will.

The sky isn't falling unless you 100% believe it is.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

The sky isn't falling BUT it may be a while before business (including yours) gets to reasonable levels. New products always help drive sales and I agree, the early adopters will buy 997.2's, Panamera's, etc but we have to see at what levels. I'm sure when the next gen E class comes out you will have a good launch too. The issue isn't the world has stopped but it has taken a pause from high levels of spending for a while, even people with the dough. Let's see what happens over the next 6 months.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

The sky isn't falling BUT it may be a while before business (including yours) gets to reasonable levels. New products always help drive sales and I agree, the early adopters will buy 997.2's, Panamera's, etc but we have to see at what levels. I'm sure when the next gen E class comes out you will have a good launch too. The issue isn't the world has stopped but it has taken a pause from high levels of spending for a while, even people with the dough. Let's see what happens over the next 6 months.
+1.

It's going to be interesting for sure.

Quick Reply: Panamera