Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edgy - Hope You're OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 168 Posts

Every time the weather conditions are ripe (extreme low humidity, high temperatures, strong Santa Ana winds) the media launch into non-stop "high fire danger" warnings.
While such information surely serves a valuable public service, I've always felt it also gives notice to every wacko firebug in the region to get out there and start a fire.
My heart goes out to those poor folks in Montecito, but when a fire starts and the winds are gusting past 70 mph, the fire department just can't stop it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I'm happy Dan is safe. We the citizens of CA must take control of the prevention of these fires. The majority of the out-of-control fires starts, or is fueled, by unkept growth that is out of limits due to irresponsible enviro rules.

dude,

"unkempt"?? Nature is unkempt, yet perfect. "take control"? city boy r u?

I fought the 100 year '93 and '07 fires at my house in malibu [losing some but saving my house], well cleared, with eqpt but at risk. the problem is humans including myself building in the Chapparal. I am very conservative, besides being cleared 800 feet. f.g "enviro rules" having nothing to do with it.

if you own the equipment and have the *****, fire can be beaten in most, not all cases. unlike a flood or earthquake, etc

and arson started '93 and killed 3 of my neighbours and almost me but that changes nothing. the Chapparal was designed by God to burn and you either deal with THAT or you whine.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
dude,

"unkempt"?? Nature is unkempt, yet perfect. "take control"? city boy r u? .
You know what I mean and you said it. There's a lot to do to clean wild fire fuel, but many fight against for their own reasons...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:01 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Dan. I heard your audio interview of Fox News this afternoon....
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hey Dan. I heard your audio interview of Fox News this afternoon....
That's interesting. Someone from CNN had called me up and wanted to talk o someone who was in here. Never knew how it would be presented or seen.

Good news is that a couple of friends of mine didn't lose their homes. They were essentially right in the middle of it,--but it somehow missed their area. (They call that Caprice). Tonight things have settled down nicely. They spent the entire day bombing the area with water and phoscheck. We watched from a neighbor's place at mid-day.

In fact, they have continued even after the sunset, staying by the light of the waining moon. The key element is no wind tonight. This may give everyone left a chance now. It was interesting to see them flying small aircraft even as the moon came up at around 7 pm, taking advantage of every bit of light they could.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Edgy01; 11-15-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan, glad you were spared from this latest round of fires. The second pic (immediately above) is AWESOME!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 AM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Dan, glad you were spared from this latest round of fires. The second pic (immediately above) is AWESOME!
Makes you think how little we really are...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I just happened to be shooting the rising moon last night, anticipating a lot more red due to smoke in the air, and watched it as it slowly crept up over the top of the mountains. In the meantime there are dozens of small aircraft flying about in support of extinguishing the fire. It was just pure chance that I saw that aircraft against the surface of the moon and clicked off a shot in time. This other shot was about 45 seconds earlier, as it silhouetted the trees along the top of that part of the mountains.

One of the sad points of all of this,--it's going to be time to put the hardtop back on to keep the ash off the canvas top, yet it is convertible weather!
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh thank gawd for explaining that last shot. When I first glanced at, I though the bottom part of the moon had broken off and was plummeting toward earth!

Seriously, that is also one cool pic!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

That pool looks inviting...........I could use a ice cold margarita to go w/ it!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Southern California is incredible sometimes. Right now Yorba Linda, Sylmar, Brea, Anaheim, and Anaheim Hills are all burning heavily. Yet, back up the coast in Santa Barbara/Montecito it is very clear and like nothing ever happened! (Note smoke layer over the channel).

Best of luck to the LA Rennlisters! You can ALWAYS get another Porsche 997 so make the right decision when evacuating!
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Default EDGY

I was just hiking up one of the west valley's last week. My
brother had to evacuate the house near the mission. He
said he could hear explosions from the fire. The news
said transformers were exploding. He siad the smoke was so
thick that he could not see the moon. He had a hard time
breathing and there was ash falling all over. He saw alot
of helicopters flying over the house.

Go to sbcfire dot com.

Glad you are OK edgy.
Paul
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very glad you are OK, I was raised in CA and the fires are scary-every year there is always another. Take care
Old 11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

By the way, I heard back from OC Ben yesterday and he said that he was clear of the mess for now.

For now, let's cross a lot of fingers for the LA region which looks like a massive firestorm.

And as I expected I would have to do,--I finally got around to putting the hardtop on because of the ashes. It looks like my convertible days are fading for awhile.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, all clear over here. Knock on wood.

Thanks for checking on me, Dan.

Quick Reply: Edgy - Hope You're OK