Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Into [Luggage] Bondage? (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Anyone Into [Luggage] Bondage? (with pictures)

During my latest trek out in the cabriolet I finally gave some thought to how to secure luggage effectively in the rear storage area. As modern 911 owners have learned there is no way to effectively keep things from moving around on you as you're doing the public roadway slalom.

The solution is ridiculously simple,--why I hadn't thought of this much earlier is beyond me. Keep in mind that many years ago Porsche used to include tie-down points which gave you pick up points for straps. They were located where your heels would contact the rear footwell area, and back on the "package shelf" behind the seats. I have no idea when they dropped these things but it may have happened around 1978-1980 when they started putting sizable speaker enclosures on that package shelf,--eliminating a pickup point.

All it takes is some 1 inch nylon tape, some 1 inch plastic buckles (side squeeze) and an industrial sewing machine to sew the nylon onto the buckle.

I chose about 57 inches of nylon for each strap which handles anything that might fit back there, even with the seat back top. You can go with a single strap on each seat back or go fully bomb-proof with two each.

The trick to it is to thread the unsewn end behind the seat back (tilt it a little to pull it through) and then draw it up to the front. It's not really designed to be strong,--just enough to keep the stuff from shifting on you when you're cornering (like we're NOT going to do that!)

With all the nylon types out there you can find any color you like to match your interior. It will save on your interior from getting trashed by the constant rubbing of luggage over the backs of the seats, not to mention the safety aspects. You can leave them on the seats all the time if you like,--they don't look that bad (especially on the black interiors I would think).

Why Porsche doesn't MAKE these things and then SELL them to us for a ridiculous markup is beyond me.

If anyone wants some of these let me know. (Maybe I'll go into business...)
Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a cab. That does the job.
Road trip ready!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very Clever

Originally Posted by Edgy01
During my latest trek out in the cabriolet I finally gave some thought to how to secure luggage effectively in the rear storage area. As modern 911 owners have learned there is no way to effectively keep things from moving around on you as you're doing the public roadway slalom.

The solution is ridiculously simple,--why I hadn't thought of this much earlier is beyond me. Keep in mind that many years ago Porsche used to include tie-down points which gave you pick up points for straps. They were located where your heels would contact the rear footwell area, and back on the "package shelf" behind the seats. I have no idea when they dropped these things but it may have happened around 1978-1980 when they started putting sizable speaker enclosures on that package shelf,--eliminating a pickup point.

All it takes is some 1 inch nylon tape, some 1 inch plastic buckles (side squeeze) and an industrial sewing machine to sew the nylon onto the buckle.

I chose about 57 inches of nylon for each strap which handles anything that might fit back there, even with the seat back top. You can go with a single strap on each seat back or go fully bomb-proof with two each.

The trick to it is to thread the unsewn end behind the seat back (tilt it a little to pull it through) and then draw it up to the front. It's not really designed to be strong,--just enough to keep the stuff from shifting on you when you're cornering (like we're NOT going to do that!)

With all the nylon types out there you can find any color you like to match your interior. It will save on your interior from getting trashed by the constant rubbing of luggage over the backs of the seats, not to mention the safety aspects. You can leave them on the seats all the time if you like,--they don't look that bad (especially on the black interiors I would think).

Why Porsche doesn't MAKE these things and then SELL them to us for a ridiculous markup is beyond me.

My M3 had four mini-D rings in the trunk and BMW sold a cargo net made of elastic bungie-cord material which attached to the four D rings. You could put anything under the cargo net and it would stay put. I thought that Porsche could put some small D rings in the rear for such a cargo net. That too would do the job. Your idea is very clever.
Mr. B
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It even looks nice! Wish I had thought of that. thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Restless
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also pick up the straps and Buckles at REI, and at least pay a bit of the ridiculous markup that you miss from Porsche. They have all types of color combination's and sizing (width/length). Great idea!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 238 Posts

Very clever Dan.
Are you planning on offering them with deviated stitching? You could really get 'Porsche prices' for those!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Restless
You can also pick up the straps and Buckles at REI, and at least pay a bit of the ridiculous markup that you miss from Porsche. They have all types of color combination's and sizing (width/length). Great idea!!
I went to the REI in Eugene, OR after thinking about what I saw there and forming a design. 50¢ for each buckle, and 32¢ a foot for the nylon,--you pick the color. It's a no brainer.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are taking orders sign me up for a black set. Let me know how much..Thanks for coming up with this...GR
Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I don't think I'm taking orders. It's a bit of trouble for a few here and there.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I sometimes use the seatbelts to keep the things in place
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sorry. I read it wrong I guess. I might try to come up with some leather ones. Thanks for the idea...GR
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found seatbelts to be particularly good for large bags when doing a long roadtrip, and looping the belts through bag grab handles, etc. The space below the incliined backrest works very well for briefcases and even jackets. That said, would really like it if you could get tie points as it is nice to be able to keep bulky items stable, especially if circumstances throw some curves your way.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered up some of these from strapworks.com
Planning our first road trip vacation in the new Cab!
Thanks Edgy01
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks cool in the down position.

Does anyone ever put a cargo net over the rear seats (in down position?). I guess the hard part would be finding a securing location - may require 4 screw holes in the back of the seat? (Not sure I'd want to do that!)
Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great idea

Originally Posted by Sub
That looks cool in the down position.

Does anyone ever put a cargo net over the rear seats (in down position?). I guess the hard part would be finding a securing location - may require 4 screw holes in the back of the seat? (Not sure I'd want to do that!)
I think the cargo net is a great idea.
I wish Porsche had included the hooks to connect a cargo net to.
Mr. B

Quick Reply: Anyone Into [Luggage] Bondage? (with pictures)