Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsche vs ferrari vs aston vs lambo etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
rspike
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche vs ferrari vs aston vs lambo etc...

what is it about porsche that you guy's prefer so much over the others? Cost? maintenance ?performance? I have a sl 500 and would like to get educated for a future purchase to add .I had a 75 911s it was beaten up so there is nothing to judge against
Thank you
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I only have garage space for one car.
2. I need to be able to drive it every day.
3. 911s are a huge value buy over Astons, imo. Huuuuuuuge.

I doubt Ferraris and Lambos are even part of the equation for your average Carrera buyer. Plus, I am still in denial about wanting one (though I don't expect this to last forever).
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche is one of the few luxury sports cars that you can reliably and affordably drive every day (relatively speaking). I've always wanted once since childhood. Even if I was able to get into an F430 I would probably still have a 911 in the garage.

The car has a personality to it that I've fallen in love with, and can't see myself not owning one in the future.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

F430 is actually VERY VERY reliable.
but if something goes wrong without warranty, it is very very expensive to fix.

to some extent, that's similar to porsches.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
F430 is actually VERY VERY reliable.
but if something goes wrong without warranty, it is very very expensive to fix.

to some extent, that's similar to porsches.
I've heard that the reliability is vastly improved. Even more of a concern than reliability for me though would be the terrible roads around here and the problem of parking it without fear. I can't see it as a daily driver unless I were batman or something.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F430is a very different car from a 997 -- much more raw, and tempermental..and I would say more fun in certain types of driving....There is nothing that compares to the roar of a Ferrari V8 engine @ 7000+ RPMS Very difficult to compare the 2. The Porsche however is much more liveable & driveable for everyday use.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Rocci
Instructor

I have owned two Porsches (2006 Boxster S and 2007 Carrera S, both convertibles), and now I own a Aston Martin V-8 Vantage Roadster. It is a stunning looking car, and turns heads ever where I go. It is FUN to drive, but in my opinion it is not as EXCITING to drive as the 911S. In fact the Aston is now on the market and next year I will be buying a 997 Turbo Coupe, or a Carrera C4S Cab. Aside from all the great engineering and performance aspects of the 911, Porsche has managed to create a car that truly excites the senses. And, for the money you can't beat it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
F430is a very different car from a 997 -- much more raw, and tempermental..and I would say more fun in certain types of driving....There is nothing that compares to the roar of a Ferrari V8 engine @ 7000+ RPMS Very difficult to compare the 2. The Porsche however is much more liveable & driveable for everyday use.
i agree about the rawness and difficult to park (gawking factor), but 430 is really not temperamental. i know quite a few that's getting 10k miles a year. i just wish i can afford one.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RPM911S
I have owned two Porsches (2006 Boxster S and 2007 Carrera S, both convertibles), and now I own a Aston Martin V-8 Vantage Roadster. It is a stunning looking car, and turns heads ever where I go. It is FUN to drive, but in my opinion it is not as EXCITING to drive as the 911S. In fact the Aston is now on the market and next year I will be buying a 997 Turbo Coupe, or a Carrera C4S Cab. Aside from all the great engineering and performance aspects of the 911, Porsche has managed to create a car that truly excites the senses. And, for the money you can't beat it.
+1

On my 3rd P-car and counting. Style, handling, reliability, power, plus fun equals...
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Well I think that each of these cars have their own strong suits, though I consider an Aston to be a GT car rather than a sports car. I did own a heavily moded S04 SL55 for awhile, and it was fun, but also a GT car. I would suggest ,if posible drive the cars, and see what you prefer.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Well I think that each of these cars have their own strong suits, though I consider an Aston to be a GT car rather than a sports car. I did own a heavily moded S04 SL55 for awhile, and it was fun, but also a GT car. I would suggest ,if posible drive the cars, and see what you prefer.
+1

End of the day you have to 'experience' something on your own to make your own judgement call.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rspike
What is it about Porsche that you guys prefer so much over the others? Cost? Maintenance? Performance?
In my case, the Porsche purchases have been primarily affective decisions; so it's hard for me to compare them on purely rational bases such as cost or maintenance or performance. I did toy around with the Gallardo (for its looks) and with the new SL (for its retractable hardtop) before ordering my '09, and I think all the cars you mentioned are sexy and good and all; but ultimately they lost out because only the 911 appeared in my childhood dreams, and for the past few years that's really all it's been about for me.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
sws1
Pro

I picked up my C2S the same day my friend got his AMV8. We traded cars for a 10 mile drive. Driving the Aston felt like a wearing a Bruno Magli shoe, compared to the track shoe I feel like I'm wearing when I drove the C2S. Other than price range, no reason to compare the cars.

The Aston got way more looks than the C2S. That's why I had to switch to the GT3.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I love all the cars you mentioned and I am no way what I call a brand loyal snob. However i bought a Porsche or I should say I have had 5 Porsches since 2001 because I enoy the build quality, handling and race bred technology.
Before the Porsches I had 4 Vette's and enjoyed those cars at the time. I have driven the current Vette and it is a heck of a car especially for the money. The most bang for the buck.
The Ferrari is awesome looking and reforming but the maintanance schedule and pricing scares me. The Aston is beautiful and my wifes fav car but it is no where near the performance of the other cars mentioned.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

When I was looking at a true sport car, my friend offered to open his files on his own F car. The maintenance was shocking. Cost was just absurd.

He has sold his car and got a 997 Turbo.

One reason I went to Porsche was his records of the F car.

I'd love to own an F430, it's one of my dreams, but after looking through the issues he had and with it being more in the shop than on the road just made me think again. I know the newer ones are much better in quality, but I'm not convinced.

He loves the 997 Turbo and is trying to find a GT2 later. Lucky bastard!

Porsche also stands behind the warranty for the most part I've seen. Try that with a F car.

Deanski

Quick Reply: porsche vs ferrari vs aston vs lambo etc...